Bad FPR? Long... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 1:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Bad FPR? Long...

OK, so the bike has been sitting around for a few years, ridden every 6 mo or so. Every time I decide to get it running and sell it, I take a ride around the neighborhood to warm it up and get it to hitting on all four cyl. And then I always decide I'm not in such a big hurry to sell it...
Then last time though, I filled it up with new gas and it ran on three cyls; never would start hitting on all 4 . So I put it back on the battery charger and let it sit all afternoon to mess with later.
When started back up, it blew about a quart of raw gas out the exhaust, DRENCHING my wife's car . Which did not ignite, thank goodness.
So, I let it sit for a few days till I could get around to pulling the tank and figuring out the problem. During which time it emptied the rest of the tank into the crank case .
So I drained the crank case and that's where I left it for a while, assuming I had something wrong with an injector, possibly explaining the missing cyl and gas leaking into the motor.
I tore it down yesterday and can't find anything obviously wrong with the injectors, they all look perfectly clean and measure the same resistance. And none of the plugs looks especially bad, all look rich, but no bad buildup of carbon. So I started doing a little research on here, and now I'm thinking it's the Fuel Pressure Regulator? Am I right that a problem injector could not result in the entire contents of the tank emptying into the crank case?
Thanks in advance,
Walter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 1:48 PM Thread Starter

Re: Bad FPR? Long...

Oh, and another question; will gas ruin the clutch disks? They pickled in it for a week or more; should I plan on replacing them?
post #3 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 2:01 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
OK, so the bike has been sitting around for a few years, ridden every 6 mo or so. Every time I decide to get it running and sell it, I take a ride around the neighborhood to warm it up and get it to hitting on all four cyl. And then I always decide I'm not in such a big hurry to sell it...
Then last time though, I filled it up with new gas and it ran on three cyls; never would start hitting on all 4 . So I put it back on the battery charger and let it sit all afternoon to mess with later.
When started back up, it blew about a quart of raw gas out the exhaust, DRENCHING my wife's car . Which did not ignite, thank goodness.
So, I let it sit for a few days till I could get around to pulling the tank and figuring out the problem. During which time it emptied the rest of the tank into the crank case .
So I drained the crank case and that's where I left it for a while, assuming I had something wrong with an injector, possibly explaining the missing cyl and gas leaking into the motor.
I tore it down yesterday and can't find anything obviously wrong with the injectors, they all look perfectly clean and measure the same resistance. And none of the plugs looks especially bad, all look rich, but no bad buildup of carbon. So I started doing a little research on here, and now I'm thinking it's the Fuel Pressure Regulator? Am I right that a problem injector could not result in the entire contents of the tank emptying into the crank case?
Thanks in advance,
Walter

I'd be checking the fuel pressure regulator with those symptoms.
Just pull the vacuum line and turn the ignition on, very easy.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 2:04 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oh, and another question; will gas ruin the clutch disks? They pickled in it for a week or more; should I plan on replacing them?

No. the clutch will be fine but replace the oil and filter after fixing the problem.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 5:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Already got 2 filters. I'll refill it with conventional oil to flush it, then change it again in a couple of weeks and put synth back in.
What's the difference with the 'updated' FPR -013? I came accross a couple of threads recommending it over the P/N spec'd for 2001.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 2:05 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks. Already got 2 filters. I'll refill it with conventional oil to flush it, then change it again in a couple of weeks and put synth back in.
What's the difference with the 'updated' FPR -013? I came accross a couple of threads recommending it over the P/N spec'd for 2001.

No idea as I've never had to buy one sorry.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 9:25 AM Thread Starter

The FPR is definitely bad. It won't hold a vacuum. Thanks y'all.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Does anybody know what the difference is between the stoc spec and 'revised' FPRs? These threads advise to get part number 16740-mcj-013 instead of 16740-mcj-003 that is listed for 2001:
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...regulator.html
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/wan...regulator.html
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...ick-929-a.html

Last edited by wamcneil; 05-03-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page