cant find o2 sensor wire - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2011, 2:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

cant find o2 sensor wire

Hey all,

Effen new guy here. Had a question about a 2002 CBR 954rr. I just picked this bike up yesterday and it is giving me a 2 3 (2 long 3 short red lights) fault code on the dash. Searched the site and found this to mean a faulty o2 sensor heater. So far so good. The guy I bought it from says this is because the stock exhaust was removed and replaced with a full after market exhaust ( not sure what kind exactly, but I'm guessing it's a yoshimura). Which means no place for an o2 sensor and "the wire for the o2 sensor is just hanging there". OK, no problem check the forum again (you guys are awesome!) and you say install an o2 sensor eliminator plug or close the connection with a resistor. So I go to find this "wire that's just hanging there" and it's nowhere to be found. I think I know where it should be (after searching the forum of course), along the exhaust pipe near the can and I know it is definitely not there. Looked all over for it and no dice. Any ideas on how I can trick out this sensor via the ECU ? Or somehow find these wires or...??? I'm looking to dial this bike in. It has a stutter in the acceleration from 1.5k to 2.5k rpm. I was told by a shop i should have it put on a dyno, install a power commander, and all that ja$$, but i also heard that i could have a one time template map installed to match the type of exhaust I'm using. Either way, I will need to figure out a way to get rid of this error code. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2011, 9:07 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: cant find o2 sensor wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofass4udoo View Post
Hey all,

Effen new guy here. Had a question about a 2002 CBR 954rr. I just picked this bike up yesterday and it is giving me a 2 3 (2 long 3 short red lights) fault code on the dash. Searched the site and found this to mean a faulty o2 sensor heater. So far so good. The guy I bought it from says this is because the stock exhaust was removed and replaced with a full after market exhaust ( not sure what kind exactly, but I'm guessing it's a yoshimura). Which means no place for an o2 sensor and "the wire for the o2 sensor is just hanging there". OK, no problem check the forum again (you guys are awesome!) and you say install an o2 sensor eliminator plug or close the connection with a resistor. So I go to find this "wire that's just hanging there" and it's nowhere to be found. I think I know where it should be (after searching the forum of course), along the exhaust pipe near the can and I know it is definitely not there. Looked all over for it and no dice. Any ideas on how I can trick out this sensor via the ECU ? Or somehow find these wires or...??? I'm looking to dial this bike in. It has a stutter in the acceleration from 1.5k to 2.5k rpm. I was told by a shop i should have it put on a dyno, install a power commander, and all that ja$$, but i also heard that i could have a one time template map installed to match the type of exhaust I'm using. Either way, I will need to figure out a way to get rid of this error code. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Why on earth are you even trying to accelerate at 1500-2500rpm?
The engine is not designed to be operated that low.
Keep it above 4000rpm and don't waste time and money on this.
Yes, you need to fix the O2 sensor as the fueling will be way off without it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Hey bladeracer,
Thanks for the quick response. Looking for all the info I can get on this. When I say acceleration from 1.5k to 2.5k. It idles at about 1.5k. so when I first take off there is a lag in acceleration until about 2.5k and from there it's off to the races. am i doing something wrong here? then you say "don't waste time and money on this" the bike? on this problem? I'm kinda passed that at this point. thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-14-2011, 2:44 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hey bladeracer,
Thanks for the quick response. Looking for all the info I can get on this. When I say acceleration from 1.5k to 2.5k. It idles at about 1.5k. so when I first take off there is a lag in acceleration until about 2.5k and from there it's off to the races. am i doing something wrong here? then you say "don't waste time and money on this" the bike? on this problem? I'm kinda passed that at this point. thanks for the info.

You are letting the clutch out at idle?
How long have you been riding?
I meant, don't waste your time and money on a "problem" that doesn't exist.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

O.K. I am newish to motorcycles. I just went through my first bike. 2002 cbr 600 F4i, and I loved it. Put in 6 months and about 5000 miles on her. I'm not a stone cold racer, but I have some miles under my belt. That being said, there is / was a definite and noticeable lag in acceleration in the early rpms. The acceleration was not matching up with the throttle input. I did the $.99 fix found here http://www.**********/vb/showthread.php?t=184998
and it worked! I got rid of (or at least minimized) the low rpm stutter and the 2 3 fault code. The throttle is now much more predictable and more closely matches up with the throttle input. That' good Moving right along, I am now getting a 3 5 code, which equals "EGCV AND AIR INTAKE VALVE SERVO MOTOR" fault. I'm now trying to find out how to bypass this sensor and get closer to soopa fass doo! Any ideas?
post #6 of 8 Old 05-14-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

After a little research, there appears not to be a fix for the 3 5 error code? You need a functioning EGCV valve. Is this possible when running a full exhaust? Other than the light on the dash what, if any, performance issues would be associated with running with a "EGCV AND AIR INTAKE VALVE SERVO MOTOR" fault? What do you think?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
After a little research, there appears not to be a fix for the 3 5 error code? You need a functioning EGCV valve. Is this possible when running a full exhaust? Other than the light on the dash what, if any, performance issues would be associated with running with a "EGCV AND AIR INTAKE VALVE SERVO MOTOR" fault? What do you think?

You don't need a functioning HTEV, you just need a servo motor correctly set up to remove the MIL.
No problems with the HVIX MIL at all.
Have had the light flashing on my 929 for years.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

found this post as well:
As I understand it one can remove the stock system from the header back, disconnect and throw away the EGCV cable, leave the servo-motor in place and put in the aftermarket system of choice without having to reconnect the pulley cable. No codes thrown.

I ask because my 929 is completely stock (just purchased as I am getting back into ridinga after many years gone) and the first thing going is that exhaust. At this point I will replace it with an Akrapovic Evolution setup and Power Commander.

To which I asked :
Now I have a 3 5 FI error code (EGCV AND AIR INTAKE VALVE SERVO MOTOR) to deal with. Came across this post which matches my issue. I'm wondering what would happen if I simply disconnected the "the EGCV / servo motor 6P (Natural) connector", or do I have to as you say " disconnect and throw away the EGCV cable", which looks like a lot more of a process. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

Just for the satisfaction of knowing that I beat the system and to get that damn light to go away, could I disconnect "the EGCV / servo motor 6P (Natural) connector", or would I have to " disconnect and throw away the EGCV cable". which do you think would work, if any?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page