929 cuts out at redline hard to start...help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-19-2011, 6:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 cuts out at redline hard to start...help

i have a 2000 honda cbr 929 fireblade. its all origional...and when i drive it hard. like it should be driven, once it hits redline it cuts out and is difficult to restart. its frustrating, the minite it hits redline it dies...this is not normal for a race bike...i need help with this one guys. bring on the suggestions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-20-2011, 1:28 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 929 cuts out at redline hard to start...help

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblade929 View Post
i have a 2000 honda cbr 929 fireblade. its all origional...and when i drive it hard. like it should be driven, once it hits redline it cuts out and is difficult to restart. its frustrating, the minite it hits redline it dies...this is not normal for a race bike...i need help with this one guys. bring on the suggestions...

What exactly does it do when it "cuts out"?
What exactly does it do when it's "difficult to restart"?
In all gears?
Are you running a PC?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 19 Old 05-24-2011, 9:50 AM Thread Starter

when it cuts out the fuel injectors will not operate. you have to turn the key off and the switch on the right side handle in order to have a chance at it restarting. right before it cuts out, the red FI indicator lamp comes on in dash. i am not running a power commander the bike is completely stock. it happens in all gears, any time i rev it while driving fast. its very annoying, considering it cuts out when i am pushing it, what it was built to do... its deffinately not right. other than that the bike runs awesome...please help me...i want to fix this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
when it cuts out the fuel injectors will not operate. you have to turn the key off and the switch on the right side handle in order to have a chance at it restarting. right before it cuts out, the red FI indicator lamp comes on in dash. i am not running a power commander the bike is completely stock. it happens in all gears, any time i rev it while driving fast. its very annoying, considering it cuts out when i am pushing it, what it was built to do... its deffinately not right. other than that the bike runs awesome...please help me...i want to fix this...

I would suggest you simply don't rev it so high since you don't need to. Peak power is made somewhere short of redline so there is no point in revving it further than that, change gear earlier. I very rarely hit redline even on racetracks.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 9:17 AM Thread Starter

thats easier said than done. now when i say it cuts out when it hits redline it is roughly in that range. its right at the peak of changing gears so it is not predictable...thats the problem i have. it is not normal... i dont like it and want to fix it. for example. if it is sitting on the side stand after it is warmed up and even then if i rev it up, high rpm i might add, it will cut out. my two buddies have the exact bikes, and it does not happen to theirs...i may try switching computers and see if i can duplicate it then...i just dunno...im frustrated.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
thats easier said than done. now when i say it cuts out when it hits redline it is roughly in that range. its right at the peak of changing gears so it is not predictable...thats the problem i have. it is not normal... i dont like it and want to fix it. for example. if it is sitting on the side stand after it is warmed up and even then if i rev it up, high rpm i might add, it will cut out. my two buddies have the exact bikes, and it does not happen to theirs...i may try switching computers and see if i can duplicate it then...i just dunno...im frustrated.

If it's not consistant maybe it's a loose electrical connector that's moving as you make the shifts. If you ride it hard but shift gears at 10,000rpm does it do it? If your buddies ride your bike do they have the same problem?
Have you checked the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator?

post #7 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 9:24 PM Thread Starter

no, i cannot see it being an electrical connector because as i said it will happen even when on its stand, not shifting, not even in motion. yes we have switched bikes and it does it for them, you can revv the hell outta theirs and it will not happen there is something wrong, i am convinced...mmmmn, vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator, where would that be, any suggestions on the area where a problem may be with this line...thanks for your interest, and thanks for your replies.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-26-2011, 1:45 AM

Reputation Power: 9

Fuel pump not supplying efficient pressure for the higher rpms and failing?
post #9 of 19 Old 05-26-2011, 1:47 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
no, i cannot see it being an electrical connector because as i said it will happen even when on its stand, not shifting, not even in motion. yes we have switched bikes and it does it for them, you can revv the hell outta theirs and it will not happen there is something wrong, i am convinced...mmmmn, vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator, where would that be, any suggestions on the area where a problem may be with this line...thanks for your interest, and thanks for your replies.

Why haven't you got a manual for your bike?
You can see the FPR between the tank and the frame rail on the left side of the fuel rail. Pull the vacuum line, turn the ignition on to pressurise the rail, if fuel comes out you need a new FPR.

post #10 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 9:08 PM Thread Starter

thanks bladeracer, i will give that a try the first chance i get. is there any particular line i gotta remove. i guess its just the one line there. thanks again. it seems you wanna help me resolve this issue. i really appreciate it. and no, i dont have a manual. pretty stupid i know. and my bike is better than mint condition, and is why i am not bringing it to any shops so it will get damaged or scratched, i am very particular...
post #11 of 19 Old 06-15-2011, 6:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Why haven't you got a manual for your bike?
You can see the FPR between the tank and the frame rail on the left side of the fuel rail. Pull the vacuum line, turn the ignition on to pressurise the rail, if fuel comes out you need a new FPR.
ok, here i am again...i was out for a ride last night. the bike still cuts out, i noticed that it is not necessarily at redline but somewhere close to that...now get this...the fi light comes on, and...i noticed lasy night that when i try to start it, the fuel pump prime is not working when i turn on the kill switch on the right side handle controll...not only that i have a new battery and it seems it drains quickly...mmmm, bad new battery/ or is there something draining it...now after fooling with it. all of a sudden the fuel pump prime cuts in again and way to go,,,she will fire and work fine again...so i am thinking either the fuel pump is failing or whatever controlls it is malfunctioning...cause normally when it cuts out it will restart right away, but last night i had difficulty...what do you think of that...fuel pump failing????????????????
post #12 of 19 Old 06-15-2011, 9:23 AM

SO is it the red indicator light or the the FI indicator? If the red light, any flashes, or just "ON"?

Man that sucks bro..just got an '01 and the lights flash, but it's due to mods, and not a problem.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
ok, here i am again...i was out for a ride last night. the bike still cuts out, i noticed that it is not necessarily at redline but somewhere close to that...now get this...the fi light comes on, and...i noticed lasy night that when i try to start it, the fuel pump prime is not working when i turn on the kill switch on the right side handle controll...not only that i have a new battery and it seems it drains quickly...mmmm, bad new battery/ or is there something draining it...now after fooling with it. all of a sudden the fuel pump prime cuts in again and way to go,,,she will fire and work fine again...so i am thinking either the fuel pump is failing or whatever controlls it is malfunctioning...cause normally when it cuts out it will restart right away, but last night i had difficulty...what do you think of that...fuel pump failing????????????????

Is the light coming on simply due to the engine cutting out though?
Your killswitch should always be on. If you use it regularly then it's certainly possible for it to be failing.
Is the battery draining or is it not charging?
Did you check the charging system when you bought the battery?

post #14 of 19 Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Global Moderator

Did you check the fuel pressure regulator as I mentioned before?

post #15 of 19 Old 06-16-2011, 6:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Did you check the fuel pressure regulator as I mentioned before?

Ya i did, and it tested to be fine...so last night i got to thinking about the bikes cituation real hard...i was convinced that whatever was controlling the operation of the fuel pump/fuel injectors was the cause of the issue...i managed to find a manual from a friend...i looked hard at the schematics so i could get an understanding of the operating systems of the bike...then it hit me...when i saw it in the schematic..."FUEL CUT OFF RELAY"...right away i said to myself...thats it. so i took it out did some checks as per the manual...but all checked to be fine. well it would given that the problem only happens when a load is placed on the bike. so i removed the headlight relay., switched it with the fuel cut off relay. after i had the bike back together i turned it on and noticed i had no high beam headlights. switched to low back to high, still nothing then all of a sudden the high beam lights came back...so i guess my hunch was right, the relay was opening when it shouldnt be...i took it for a run and guess what,,,perfect. the bike is fixed. i can now rev the **** out of it. it performs perfectly...i am now happy with the bike again...thanks so much for all your help and support. i hope this will some day help someone else who might have a similar problem...cheers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page