98 CBR900RR idle problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-20-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

98 CBR900RR idle problem

Under heavier electrical load (ie when the brake lights are on, or the turn signals are on) she loses RPM and chugs a bit and has stalled once or twice. Just had the carbs cleaned and synced and have a 1 month old battery. It's definitely something electrical. The stealership told me it was my plugs and coils most likely and want to charge me an arm and a leg to replace them. What do y'all think? From my searches I'm thinking I need a new r/r but I'm not an expert... hoping to find some answers! Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-20-2011, 1:04 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 98 CBR900RR idle problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhmoney View Post
Under heavier electrical load (ie when the brake lights are on, or the turn signals are on) she loses RPM and chugs a bit and has stalled once or twice. Just had the carbs cleaned and synced and have a 1 month old battery. It's definitely something electrical. The stealership told me it was my plugs and coils most likely and want to charge me an arm and a leg to replace them. What do y'all think? From my searches I'm thinking I need a new r/r but I'm not an expert... hoping to find some answers! Thanks!!

Do the tests of the charging system before you order a regulator. It may be something simple like a broken wire or loose connector.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 7 Old 05-20-2011, 1:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Do the tests of the charging system before you order a regulator. It may be something simple like a broken wire or loose connector.
I looked for any tutorials/guides but I didn't find much in that way... can you point me in the right direction? I have only had this 900RR for about a month (and this is my first carburated bike) so I'm definitely a n00b... my other bikes have been FI and never had any issues like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-20-2011, 1:12 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhmoney View Post
I looked for any tutorials/guides but I didn't find much in that way... can you point me in the right direction? I have only had this 900RR for about a month (and this is my first carburated bike) so I'm definitely a n00b... my other bikes have been FI and never had any issues like this.

Tutorial?
It's already detailed in the manual.
If you don't have one download it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 7 Old 05-20-2011, 1:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Tutorial?
It's already detailed in the manual.
If you don't have one download it.
downloaded a pdf of the service manual. thanks a lot, didn't even think of that! will get on this when I get a day off #worktoomuch
post #6 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 3:04 PM Thread Starter

Blade, I checked the entire charging system as the manual instructed.

Battery voltage read at around 12.8v with bike off after a 30 minute ride
Resistance between yellow wires from stator 0.2ohm

At the R/R connector:
Green wire to ground - continuity
Red/White to ground - battery voltage (12.8v)
Yellow(s) to Yellow(s) - 0.2ohm

While running:
Battery voltage goes between 13.9v around 2500rpm and drops to 13.4 approaching 5000rpm (shouldn't it rise to around 15v with the increase in rpm?)

All connections look decent and nothing looks burned out.

I left the multimeter connected when I "stressed" the electrical system by pumping the brake to turn the brake light on and off and, as before, the idle speed fell, the battery voltage went down to 12.8v, and the bike audibly chugged and went as low as 1000rpm (and like I said before, would probably stall if I let it).

I disconnected the taillight and did the same brake pumping procedure and she didn't chug once. It is obvious to me that the electrical draw is definitely aggravating the gremlin.

Maybe I'll just leave the system alone and just keep the taillight and brake light disconnected... JUUUUUST KIDDING! But MAN this is kinda frustrating!

***EDIT*** I went to the local auto shop and bought LED replacement bulbs for the rear brake lights and, surprise of the century, NO GREMLIN! They are just as bright as the OEM bulbs but don't draw as much power, so they aren't taxing the system. I don't like leaving things half-assed but this will definitely do until I figure out where the real trouble is...

Last edited by uhhmoney; 05-24-2011 at 3:40 PM. Reason: found partial solution
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2011, 9:09 PM Thread Starter

Solved - The electrical system still didn't feel right, so I kept investigating. I knew that the LED tail lights were just masking the problem, and I *hate* half-ass solutions. The book said to replace the R/R if all tests came back OK and the system was still not acting right so I bought a cheap eBay one to just see... and it alleviated all symptoms. Spark is great, lights no longer dim whether LED or incandescent, engine runs great even at low rpm. I know how reliable eBay rectifiers are... so I bought an oem one from hondapartsnation.

...I dont know why I didn't figure that out sooner! Like I said earlier, this is my first carb bike that I've actually worked on (other than changing the oil or basic stuff like tightening a cam chain etc)... either way, I'm pumped she's finally running well!

Last edited by uhhmoney; 06-08-2011 at 6:50 PM. Reason: added info

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page