96 CBR 900rr Carb Calibration question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 4:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

96 CBR 900rr Carb Calibration question

I have a 96 CBR 900RR, and Im attempting to calibrate my carbs. I have devised a Manometer out of 1/4" clear plastic tubing with 2cycle oil as my measuring fluid. My carbs dont have the tit for hooking up the tubing so I took two funnel ends and cut them to fit the top of the carbs. I then ductaped the funnels upside down on the carbs with the tube in the top. This will create a vacuume in the tube. #1 and #2 carbs have been rigged with the steps listed above. I managed to sync #1 and #2. Once I moved my rigging to #3 and #4 the engine will turn over but has great difficulty starting. When it finally fires it will rev. to 3000 and then die. I covered #1 and #2 and hit the starter again and it will idle but idles rough and not for very long. I believe my vacuume for #3 and #4 maybe greater than the Vacuume in #1 and #2. Not sure if #1 and #2 are dead cylanders, but i get plenty of suction from both. I have also replaced the plugs within the last two weeks.
My question is how would I go about checking compression in all cylanders without purchasing a tool? Or do i even need to check my compression?

When I ride I lack power and throttle response. When I dismount i checked the header pipes by spitting on my finger and #1 and #2 are warm but #3 and #4 sizzle my spit.

Also would the muffler being completely hallowed out have an affect on my back pressure causing this malfunction? The guy i bought it from completely hallowed it out no baffle and no packing.

Last edited by armed; 05-21-2011 at 4:42 PM. Reason: new thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 9:23 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 96 CBR 900rr Carb Calibration question

Quote:
Originally Posted by armed View Post
I have a 96 CBR 900RR, and Im attempting to calibrate my carbs. I have devised a Manometer out of 1/4" clear plastic tubing with 2cycle oil as my measuring fluid. My carbs dont have the tit for hooking up the tubing so I took two funnel ends and cut them to fit the top of the carbs. I then ductaped the funnels upside down on the carbs with the tube in the top. This will create a vacuume in the tube. #1 and #2 carbs have been rigged with the steps listed above. I managed to sync #1 and #2. Once I moved my rigging to #3 and #4 the engine will turn over but has great difficulty starting. When it finally fires it will rev. to 3000 and then die. I covered #1 and #2 and hit the starter again and it will idle but idles rough and not for very long. I believe my vacuume for #3 and #4 maybe greater than the Vacuume in #1 and #2. Not sure if #1 and #2 are dead cylanders, but i get plenty of suction from both. I have also replaced the plugs within the last two weeks.
My question is how would I go about checking compression in all cylanders without purchasing a tool? Or do i even need to check my compression?

When I ride I lack power and throttle response. When I dismount i checked the header pipes by spitting on my finger and #1 and #2 are warm but #3 and #4 sizzle my spit.

Also would the muffler being completely hallowed out have an affect on my back pressure causing this malfunction? The guy i bought it from completely hallowed it out no baffle and no packing.

Can you post a picture of what you're trying to do?
I can't fathom what you would need funnels for.
You are merely measuring the vacuum through the intake manifolds and adjusting the throttle plates so each carb has identical air flowing at idle.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

im going to take pictures, be back in ten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

I dont have an http:// link for my pictures and im not very computer savy.. so how should I go about showing you this picture? AH HA... go to member galleries and type in Homemade manometer. you should be able to pull it up.

Last edited by armed; 05-21-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: figured it out.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-22-2011, 3:55 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I dont have an http:// link for my pictures and im not very computer savy.. so how should I go about showing you this picture? AH HA... go to member galleries and type in Homemade manometer. you should be able to pull it up.

I still don't understand what the funnels are for though. Where are you connecting them to the carbs?
If you haven't got the screw-in adaptors just make them. Get some screws that fit in the holes, drill down their length and cut the heads off. Or use some 6mm aluminium tube and tap a thread on one end.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 2:26 AM Thread Starter

UMMMM, why didnt I think of that?? I was goin all high tech and couldve made it easy. but sometimes the easy eludes me. thanks I will give it a shot and let you know what I come up with.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 8:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

If you can get the damn balance screws out, just bung in some thin plastic tubing that will seal. I use a 'proper' 4 tube vacuum gauge and this is how I hook up. BTW a balancer unit is worth every penny of the not much that they cost. makes the job easy and once done properly, the engine feels sooo smooth.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-25-2011, 8:49 PM Thread Starter

I attach the cones to the top of the carb with ductape. I know janky but, figured it would work, as long as it created suction in the tubes. I guess I will have to invest in a guage. thanks for the input guys.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-26-2011, 1:44 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I attach the cones to the top of the carb with ductape. I know janky but, figured it would work, as long as it created suction in the tubes. I guess I will have to invest in a guage. thanks for the input guys.

You mean in place of the CV lid?
I'd be amazed if that worked at all.
The vacuum circuit that lifts the slides is very different to the vacuum measured passing through the intake manifold.

post #10 of 12 Old 05-26-2011, 9:08 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Does anyone know if the carb diaphrams from a 98 carb would work on a 97 or if the whole carb would work
post #11 of 12 Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98cbr9rr View Post
Does anyone know if the carb diaphrams from a 98 carb would work on a 97 or if the whole carb would work

The diaphrams are the same for all 900RR's from '92-'97 and CBR1000 from '93-'96.
I don't know if '98 are interchangeable but they're not the same part number.
Bore spacing is the same from '92-'99 so any of those year carbs should fit just fine as a complete bank.

post #12 of 12 Old 05-26-2011, 10:13 PM

Reputation Power: 14

thanks, they should call you the BladeWizard bro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
calibration , carburetor , carburetor calibration , sycronize

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page