2003 cbr954rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-31-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2003 cbr954rr

i just picked up a used cbr954rr with around 22,000 miles on it for cheap. the individual i purchased it did absolutely nothing to it and was unable to work on the bike himself so he always took it in. my questions are
1. is the fuel filter in this bike a maintence item that you replace every so many miles or do you just leave it alone until you have problems? i only ask becasue i know its in the gas tank and its not like the old style in-line filters.
2. what are some good performace adds that i could purchase to see a dramatic difference besides a power commander? i have alot of mechanical skills and am not afraid to tear into this bike and have confidence that i will be able to put it together and it continue to run.
3.tires???what would be best?

thanks for any replys,every lil bit would help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-01-2011, 1:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 56

Garage
Re: 2003 cbr954rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan87 View Post
i just picked up a used cbr954rr with around 22,000 miles on it for cheap. the individual i purchased it did absolutely nothing to it and was unable to work on the bike himself so he always took it in. my questions are
1. is the fuel filter in this bike a maintence item that you replace every so many miles or do you just leave it alone until you have problems? i only ask becasue i know its in the gas tank and its not like the old style in-line filters.
2. what are some good performace adds that i could purchase to see a dramatic difference besides a power commander? i have alot of mechanical skills and am not afraid to tear into this bike and have confidence that i will be able to put it together and it continue to run.
3.tires???what would be best?

thanks for any replys,every lil bit would help
1. My 954 has 26k miles and I have never even checked the fuel filter. I would leave it alone unless you have the tank off and the fuel pump out for some reason.

2. No mod is going to give you a dramatic change in power. If you expect to feel a difference with a PC then save your money. It only smooths out the power and even at that you dont really feel any difference even with a custom tune. If you want to feel a difference then consider gearing changes (-1 front and +1 or 2 rear) as this is the cheapest mod that will provide you will a difference you can feel while riding the bike.

3. Tires depend alot on the rider. I run Michelin Pure's right now and they seem great so far. Before I had Michelin PP 2CT's and they also had great grip and got good mileage before wearing out. My buddy runs Bridgestone 016's on his 929 and gets great grip with them but they tend to wear out very quick. If you dont use every bit of both the front and rear tires then regular Michelin PP's are a good choice.

SOLD: 03 CBR954
post #3 of 4 Old 06-01-2011, 5:10 AM

I ran diablos and was happy.Currently running sportmax q2 Dunlops and getting decent 2 up riding mileage and great feel/handling in the twisties alone as well.
More power.....sprocket change and most likely valve adjustmest synch plug filter change if it's never been done will give a nice boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-02-2011, 3:28 PM

I agree with Speed Freak, I just had a valve adjustment on my 02 954 and it really made a difference. The engine feels smoother and power delivery is better. I also just put on a set of Power Pilot 2CT's and maannn what an AWESOME tire. Especially coming off a set of sport touring tires (Conti Force), its like night and day.

For performance options, as mentioned not sure there is much you can do for a dramatic difference, obvious small things are pipe and air filter but the change is minimal and mostly noticable (if anything) at the top end only, but they sure do make the bike sound better.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page