new chain time - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 8:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

new chain time

it's time to get a new chain, since the bike is new to me I want to make sure I have my facts straight, it's a 98 900rr, stock sprocket sizes are 16T front and 42T rear with a 525 pitch? If I go to a 15T front I will have better acceleration but lower top speed? the 15T front will also lift the front wheel a little easier? I plan to run the bike down the 1/4mile once or twice but mostly street riding often with a passenger. will the 15T front make 2 up riding uncomfortable and what effect will it have on the speedo? will a aluminum rear make a difference? any advice on what brands are better?

Last edited by 98rr; 06-03-2011 at 5:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 5:30 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 9

Re: new chain time

anyone?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 6:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 57

Garage

Yes, lowering the gearing will increase acceleration and decrease your top speed by a few mph. Check out www.gearingcommander.com to see how your bike will be affected by different gearing changes. Most riders rarely every top out their bikes so are willing to trade acceleration for top speed anytime. Going down 1 on the front is a good start. Most speedo's are off 5-10% from the factory so any gearing changes will make it off even more. Gearing changes will also lower your gas mileage just a little due to your bike cruising at higher rpm's but should not affect riding 2 up. If anything it will make it easier to accelerate with 2 up riding. Stay away from aluminum rear sprockets because they will wear out too fast and provide no performance gain.

I currently have -1/+1 on my 954 with a 520 chain and it picked me several tenths at the drag strip with the gearing change alone. I have an RK X-ring chain, vortex steel front sprocket and Superlite steel rear sprocket.

SOLD: 03 CBR954
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-04-2011, 7:08 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Basically everything said above is spot on!
Have you not got the cable driven speedo on your bike?
thought 98rr's had them?
If so your speedo will remain as correct as it currently is.
Also a -1 +1 would have a much more noticable affect rather than just a -1 front and yes the alliminium ones seem to made out of cheese so stick with steel!
Hope this helped
post #5 of 5 Old 06-04-2011, 3:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

98RR have a digi speedo no cable drive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page