New rear tire = chicken strips?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 2:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

New rear tire = chicken strips??

So I've been riding for about a year now, I use the bike mostly for commuting but I take it to the mountains ever chance I get. I'm on the 4th rear tire now, the last 3, after a spirited mountain run would have 0 chicken strips. My last tire didn't even have the Dunlop emblem on the edge anymore. I put a new tire on 2 weeks ago, then after riding it all week I went to the mountains on the weekend with some friends. After riding easy for a while to break in the sides of the tire we started a "very spirited" run. We stopped for a break (and for one guy to catch up) and I noticed there were still chicken strips. The next session I really pushed it through the corners, the bike feels really planted, and lots of grip, but the chicken strips remain. I noticed the bike likes to turn in now, like if I were to lean anymore it would turn too sharp for the given corner I was in. The guys I was riding with said I wasn't riding any slower, but actually faster. I cant figure out how I'm leaning less and going faster. Could it be because the front tire is squared off from riding highway so much, and the rear isn't yet, maybe the air pressure in the tire (40psi)? Can someone point something out to me that I'm overlooking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 2:30 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: New rear tire = chicken strips??

Well, let's eliminate the obvious...are you running the same brand, model, size and profile that you ran previously?

Has your riding technique changed? Maybe you're hanging off more in the corners and not needing to lean it over as much.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 2:44 PM Thread Starter

Same size tire, different brand. I was running a Dunlop Q2, and I was given a brand new Shinko 005 from a friend to totaled his bike before he put it on. I couldn't find any negative reviews on the Shinko so I couldn't pass it up for the price. I can't remember the tire brands before. The front is also a Dunlop Q2, it was replaced at the same time as the rear that I just took off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 2:57 PM

How do the size and profile of the two compare? Not sure what you're riding, but are the tires both 190/50, 190/55, 180/55, 170/60?

Different profiles of tire will give you different riding characteristics, as will also adusting psi.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 3:33 PM Thread Starter

I've always run a 180/55 (stock for the 929). I guess i could play with the tire pressure, but the way it is now was very confident in the corners. I don't think my riding style has changed, but maybe...the guys did say I was faster than before...
post #6 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
180/55 (stock for the 929).
Stock is 190/ I had the same issue yesterday when I went riding on a new tire, I think it was just from where my old tire was squared off a bit.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 6:26 PM

Quote:
I've always run a 180/55 (stock for the 929). I guess i could play with the tire pressure, but the way it is now was very confident in the corners. I don't think my riding style has changed, but maybe...the guys did say I was faster than before...
If you like 'em where there at, why change anything? If your faster than you were before, your confidence level is high, and sounds like you have additional lean left (not dragging bike parts yet) imagine how much faster you can go?

Who cares about the chicken strips. Ride YOUR ride. If you can get through the twisties faster than your buds with rubber to spare, who cares! You'll get to the edge soon enough!
post #8 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 8:26 PM Thread Starter

Hmm the parts guy at the dealer told me the 180 was stock when I bought the Dunlops, but I'm not going to argue lol. As far as riding with them I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something i was missing. And ya, there were 0 chicken strips on the bikes behind me, and when i really pushed it to try to scrub my whole tire, they were not even close. Not saying I'm the fastest rider around or anything as I'm sure I'm not. But the guys that had 0 chicken strips couldn't say any stuff about it when they couldn't keep up
post #9 of 11 Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Reputation Power: 11

You can get the same profile tyre (same tyre size) and have a different shape to it. The more track orientated the tyre the steeper the edges and the more you have to lean to use the edges.

No one can resist having a post-ride look at their tyres, but really, we should just concentrate on own riding.

I constantly ride with or pass people who get their knees down while I don't. If I concentrate on getting my knee down I go slower.

I also think 190/50 is standard fitment. Definately for a 954(my ride). I once used a 190/55 without adjusting any suspension settings and foound it to be too font-endy wanting to tuck all the time.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-05-2011, 6:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 57

Garage

Quote:
Stock rear tire for 929/954 is 190/50. Read the review in the link below then decide just how long you want to keep the Shinko rear on your bike. Running mis-matched tires can lead to problems.

Shinko 005 Advance Tire Comparison Review - Motorcycle USA

SOLD: 03 CBR954
post #11 of 11 Old 06-06-2011, 3:10 AM Thread Starter

Well seeing as I burn through tires commuting back and forth to work on the freeway, I couldn't pass it up for the price. (It was given to me) And the only real negative thing I read was about how it could break traction coming off a corner if you don't throttle smoothly. I put it to the test on a very spirited ride with no problems. So I guess it has enough grip for my skill level

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page