954 clutch replacement? (pics) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-08-2011, 2:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

954 clutch replacement? (pics)

Just some quick help would be great. I hear some noises so I figured i would check my clutch since I have 36k miles now on original. I dont really see anything too bad... but thats why im posting.

Does anyone see any excessive wear on anything? The springs in the first pic are loose in the housing, is this normal? Second pic, oil pump chain seems loose, normal? Third pic, inner most plate with wear from judder spring, normal? Fourth pic, wear grooves on basket from plates, normal? Fifth pic, fairly deep grooves from clutch springs, normal?

Anything alarming? I used my caliper to measure thickness of fibers, springs, etc and everything is close to new specs which is mind boggling considering mileage and 8 or so track days with nesba advanced.

I greatly appreciate the help as I want to get my bike back together with least amount of money and GET ON THE ROAD AGAIN!
Attached Thumbnails
954.jpg‎   9541.jpg‎   9542.jpg‎   9543.jpg‎  

9544.jpg‎  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-09-2011, 1:51 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: 954 clutch replacement? (pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITEITUP View Post
Just some quick help would be great. I hear some noises so I figured i would check my clutch since I have 36k miles now on original. I dont really see anything too bad... but thats why im posting.

Does anyone see any excessive wear on anything? The springs in the first pic are loose in the housing, is this normal? Second pic, oil pump chain seems loose, normal? Third pic, inner most plate with wear from judder spring, normal? Fourth pic, wear grooves on basket from plates, normal? Fifth pic, fairly deep grooves from clutch springs, normal?

Anything alarming? I used my caliper to measure thickness of fibers, springs, etc and everything is close to new specs which is mind boggling considering mileage and 8 or so track days with nesba advanced.

I greatly appreciate the help as I want to get my bike back together with least amount of money and GET ON THE ROAD AGAIN!

The damper springs being loose is normal. That's the noise you can hear at idle that stops when you pull the clutch lever in.
The chain slack is normal.
I would replace the damaged plate and the judder spring if it's also warn.
The grooves in the fingers are normal but if they're deep you can rub them down a bit to smooth them. If they wear deeply it can make the clutch grabby as the plates have to ride up and down the bumps.
The marks from the springs are normal. As long as there are no deep grooves that could cause a fracture it'll be fine.
As long as you keep your oil clean and don't slip the clutch excessively there's no reason for the clutch to wear much at all.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 6 Old 06-10-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Dang bladeracer you answered all my questions! Thanks a lot! I'll replace the jutter and inner plate like you suggest.

One more question. When I was disassembling the clutch I noticed the middle fiber plates seemed to not have much oil on them if at all. But the outer and inner were dripping with oil. Is this something I should be worried about? The bike sat for a couple days prior to pulling the clutch out btw.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITEITUP View Post
Dang bladeracer you answered all my questions! Thanks a lot! I'll replace the jutter and inner plate like you suggest.

One more question. When I was disassembling the clutch I noticed the middle fiber plates seemed to not have much oil on them if at all. But the outer and inner were dripping with oil. Is this something I should be worried about? The bike sat for a couple days prior to pulling the clutch out btw.

Without seeing them I can't say but I would think they'd be fine.
If you put new plates in soak them all in oil for a few hours before installing them. If you reuse them you should be fine just wetting them with oil as you stack them in the basket.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 6 Old 06-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Reputation Power: 26

And expect the clutch to drag a bit when you first start it up. The soaking of the oil makes it do this, at least it did on my 954. The drag will disappear very quickly once you ride it.

2002 CBR954RR, 1998 VFR800
post #6 of 6 Old 06-29-2011, 5:08 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys. So I put everything back in the way I took it out and now the bike will not start. Cranks and cranks but not starting. Im guessing it has something to do with the timing? With the little sensor that screws on the inside of the case? Cant figure it out. Please help! I wanna ride!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page