Sell my bike or do a tail swap!? Must make up my mind! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Sell my bike or do a tail swap!? Must make up my mind!

Here is my for sale ad:

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/mot...ml#post1017919

My question is... I hate the tail of the 54'... I think its big as **** (especially compared to my 07 R6). My question is for everybody... do you think it would be a bad idea to swap an 1000rr tail on to the bike to revive my passion for the bike? I do love what I've done to it and the new tail would obviously carry the same theme.....

I'm just torn between selling it or keeping it. Help me out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 1:04 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Sell my bike or do a tail swap!? Must make up my mind!

I think the bike looks killer man, and it's tastefully upgraded. I don't know what your problem is with the tail, anything smaller would look disproportionate to the rest of the bike. IMO the newer bikes that are smaller have a lot less character than most between '01-'04. With a 929 or 954 you know you're looking, and sitting on a badass liter bike. Seems like a shame to get rid of that killer 954 for a 'cookie cutter' R6...but now I'm rambling
post #3 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 1:14 AM

Reputation Power: 59

I dont know how the newer bikes have a lot less character.. Yes they have smaller tails.. Still have a lot of character in my eyes..

Personally, I would just swap out the tail unit on the 954..

As for cookie cutter.. haha right..

James Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 2:11 AM

Reputation Power: 166

I would forget about tails and go out and ride the thing. If you enjoy riding it, keep it. If not, then I doubt a new tail will make any difference.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Reputation Power: 54

You could always sell it to me but you have to realize that all those customizations rarely get realized when selling the bike. The 2002 954 in good condition like that is worth about $2700 to $3500. Your's is pretty good condition so I'd go ahead an take it for $2500. So, all we need to do is get the shipping arrangement worked out. I do know of a good shipping company that you could use. They generally do a door to door service, in a standard prebuilt crate and they wouldn't cost you that much. The best service they offer is Cash on Delivery.

Beautiful Bike. I hope you read the sarcasm. I'd say keep it and ride it.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 6:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
You could always sell it to me but you have to realize that all those customizations rarely get realized when selling the bike. The 2002 954 in good condition like that is worth about $2700 to $3500. Your's is pretty good condition so I'd go ahead an take it for $2500. So, all we need to do is get the shipping arrangement worked out. I do know of a good shipping company that you could use. They generally do a door to door service, in a standard prebuilt crate and they wouldn't cost you that much. The best service they offer is Cash on Delivery.

Beautiful Bike. I hope you read the sarcasm. I'd say keep it and ride it.
Haha, had me going for a while, I was like "man, I'm better off parting this thing out"... but, as I probably stated before I am really on the fence about it cuz I've really done everything to this beast, but I just hate the way the rear looks. Maybe I'll just get a new undertail or none at all and see how I like it. Also maybe I can powdercoat the wheels gloss black or all white... that would change it up a bit.

What do you all think?

The only problem I see is that I don't want to lose the functionality of the trunk space/lock deal.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 7:52 PM

Reputation Power: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4rusaf View Post
Haha, had me going for a while, I was like "man, I'm better off parting this thing out"... but, as I probably stated before I am really on the fence about it cuz I've really done everything to this beast, but I just hate the way the rear looks. Maybe I'll just get a new undertail or none at all and see how I like it. Also maybe I can powdercoat the wheels gloss black or all white... that would change it up a bit.

What do you all think?

The only problem I see is that I don't want to lose the functionality of the trunk space/lock deal.

Keep it and ride it.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 7:52 PM

Reputation Power: 0

that bike is so nice and clean, one of a kind, i vote a tail swap. I don`t know when you would get what your asking for it
post #9 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by askela View Post
I don`t know when you would get what your asking for it
My thoughts exactly... what would be the smartest and most realistic approach would be to part out all the goodies and sell the bike for lower around 5000.

I might just get a new undetail (competition werkes or hotbodies) and paint powdercoat the wheels are black... I bought the wheels polished and just left it like that but it wasn't my first choice. I just didn't want to powdercoat them without trying it with the polished lip
post #10 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 11:23 PM

Reputation Power: 59

I dont even see you getting $5000 for that personally. That is just me though.

You are much better off reverting it back to stock to try and sell it.

You will end up getting more money in the end.

Friend of mine was trying to sell a 2007 GSXR1000 for $7k. It was fully built up.. No body would buy it.
He reverted it to stock, and got like $6k for the bike.. haha then continued to sell all the other parts and come out way ahead.

James Taylor
post #11 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 PM

Reputation Power: 14

u got a sweet 54, ride the f**ker!! One of the sexiest bikes ever made. If u dont like the tail ur then swap it! If ur ridin for just looks ( which u already have) than maybe ur askin the wrong people?? Scrub those tires in a bit more and u should b fine
post #12 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsr 740 View Post
u got a sweet 54, ride the f**ker!! One of the sexiest bikes ever made. If u dont like the tail ur then swap it! If ur ridin for just looks ( which u already have) than maybe ur askin the wrong people?? Scrub those tires in a bit more and u should b fine
Haha, finally someone says something about the chicken strips, . That was about 2 days after throwing on a 190/55 tire on there... which btw, is waaaaay different turn-in and feeling... i know, i know all EXCUSES . But for whats its worth, I put my time in on the track, on my other bike:

before I painted it:

after I was done with the race glass:

FWIW, once I started riding track I never rode the same on the street... hence the reason for my pork chops (much larger than chicken strips, lol)
post #13 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
I dont even see you getting $5000 for that personally. That is just me though.

You are much better off reverting it back to stock to try and sell it.

You will end up getting more money in the end.

Friend of mine was trying to sell a 2007 GSXR1000 for $7k. It was fully built up.. No body would buy it.
He reverted it to stock, and got like $6k for the bike.. haha then continued to sell all the other parts and come out way ahead.
Interesting... at some point anything you put into this year bike will be a loss just solely based on its age. That's why I feel the longer I wait, the more money I'd lose. I'm already to a point that if I buy my next wanted bike (ducati), I'd do it without depending on the money made from the sale of this bike.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-29-2011, 1:12 AM

Reputation Power: 14

I want the tail, lmk if your going to swap looking to buy within the next 2-3 weeks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page