No spark/erratic spark - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-02-2011, 5:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight
No spark/erratic spark

Well for the first time in my life, ive been beaten. Never have I ever taken anything to a shop for repair, but unless someone here comes up with something, thats where its going before I put a stick of dynamite in the gas tank, light the fuse and walk away.

Parked it at the end of last season and it was running, the problem has existed ever since ive brought it out of storage.

Erratic spark or no spark condition depending on its mood apparently. Sometimes I could get consistant spark on number 1 and erratic on the other three, as of right now its no spark on any and thats after putting in a new ignition pulse generator.

Ive bypassed all safety circuits to eliminate problems there.
Ive tried a used ICM off of a running bike.
Ive tried a used set of coils and wires off of a running bike.
Ive installed a new ignition pulse generator.
Ive installed new plugs.
Still no change.

Ive verified the wiring and proper voltages at least 8 times. What really screws with my head is I had erratic spark before swapping out the IPG and now I have no spark?? Guess its always possible for the new part to be bad.

So does anyone have any particular insight before I let the shop rape me financially?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-02-2011, 7:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: No spark/erratic spark

Well ive decided screw the shop, they wont do anything different than just replace everything, charge me a markup on the parts and then their labor.

1100.00 to just replace all of whats left. Both coils, ignition wires and caps, the computer and the wiring harness.

Yes im desperate lol.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-02-2011, 8:16 PM

Reputation Power: 9

do you have a PC? if so disconnect it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestates View Post
do you have a PC? if so disconnect it
No it doesnt have a PC. I did discover that in my haste I had installed the IPG backwards, flipped it and it still has erratic spark. I just cant get consistent test results to be able to nail this down to one thing. The best I can tell only one side of each coil will fire at all, best I can tell from the wiring diagram, the coils fire in a batch. I.E, 1&4 and 2&3 always fire at the same time, so if 1 is firing, then so should 4 unless there is an actual break between 4 and the secondary side. But for BOTH coils to have failed at the same time and the same way and on top of that, a second set of coils is doing the exact same thing? Makes me want to think its not the coils.

Also it doesnt matter what combination I have the parts in, old icm/old coils, used icm/old coils, old icm/used coils or used icm/used coils, the result is always the same. The wiring between the ipg, ecm, coils, power and ground couldnt get any cleaner than what they are, the whole thing defies reason and is completely maddening.

I did notice yesterday that my tach doesnt move when im trying to start it, which I would think that it would show a couple hundred rpms with just the starter, but I never paid attention before, so I dont know if it did
or not.

Last edited by unfetteredmight; 07-03-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page