manual fan switch 1999 cbr 900 rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 07-03-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

manual fan switch 1999 cbr 900 rr

My 99 900rr's fan doesnt seem to kick on till around 221 degrees. Out of fear of ruining the engine from the heat I decided to add a manual fan switch.

What you'll need..
wire cutters/stripper
10 inches of wire (Bigger is better. I used scrap 12 gauge from different project.)
1 wire tap-in
1 small washer
1 toggle switch (Any switch will do. Mine was 3 bucks at radio shack.)
electrical tape
X-acto blade
drill
Honda screw driver & hex wrench

1) Unscrew quick release screw from top of middle section faring.
2) Unscrew 2 hex screws on black plastic thingy under left handle bar.
3) Drill a hole about 2 inches from screw hole closest to tank.
4) Fit switch by removing the nut from around switch. thread into hole you just drilled. re-install nut.(Tighten nut hard as possible as this particular faring is exposed to vibration.)
5) Cut 10 inch wire into 2 parts one shorter than the other. (8/2 is what i used as the switch isn't to far from where ground is located.) strip both ends.
6) Find the fan switch wire coming from the front of the radiator (bottom left). follow that wire around and place wire tap-in on that wire around where the switch is above(basically half way up that black wire, cut away plastic covering so it looks nice). now place one end of longer wire into tap in and crimp it. connect other end of that wire to switch directly above. if you don't have the proper wire connectors wrap in electrical tape so it doesn't short out.
7) Connect one end of short wire to switch and the other to the faring mounting hanger jutting out from where tank is. put the washer on it to keep it in place. now re-stall faring. make sure to give the bolt where switch is grounded to is extra tight because of vibration. dont forget to reinstall quick release screw from middle faring.

Done. Switch will only be functional when ignition is turned on. So if the keys off the fan wont drain the battery.

By adding a switch to the fan wire you by-pass the thermostat control of the fan. the fan will still switch on when its suppose to, but you have the option to flip it on to keep temps lower.

Extra note. As it turned out my wire tap-in for 18 to 20 gauge wire not 12. it still connected good but it was a tight fit. I wrapped a little electrical tape around it to keep the protective plastic piece closed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20110619_152644.jpg‎   IMG_20110619_152735.jpg‎   IMG_20110619_152700.jpg‎   IMG_20110619_152751.jpg‎  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
1999 , cbr900rr , fan , fireblade , switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page