929 Low Oil Pressure @ Idle - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-04-2011, 3:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 Low Oil Pressure @ Idle

Hey all...
So, my much loved 2000 929 of 11(wow) years and 32,000mi has finally malfunctioned. My oil pressure indicator came on an so did a steady red Mil but goes away at anything over 1.5k rpm. My idle has always been set kinda low so i bumped it up to spec (1200). Test ride seemed fine at first until she came up to temp...then same thing. I searched and found a couple similar posts but no solutions.

Anybody have any clue? Oil level is fine and bike runs FLAWLESSLY in every other way.

Thx for listening...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-04-2011, 5:15 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Re: 929 Low Oil Pressure @ Idle

Fuel presssure regulator
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2011, 7:16 AM

Reputation Power: 9

Have you tried measuring oil pressure? It should be 71 psi (5 bar) at 5400 rpm and 80 degrees Celsius engine temp. Are there any unusual noises when the light come on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-07-2011, 1:06 PM Thread Starter

Def not fuel related Charles but thx for the reply.

Good suggestion on the oil pressure Lad. I've gotta pick up a tool this weekend & check it out. Any idea what she should be pushing at idle?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-07-2011, 1:25 PM

Reputation Power: 9

Hmm..no clues to be honest, but you can check if there is a difference between idle when engine cold and hot when the light comes on, if no difference - oil sensor playing up. If the difference is big then you got oil problems, oil pressure relief valve might be stuck of full of gunk and sticking. Also if your oil is old it would be good idea to change it as there might be some "crap" in it that is not doing anything good to the engine and playing up the pressure relief valve or oil pump.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-06-2011, 8:16 PM Thread Starter

Update!
Oil pressure @ 5k+ is fine so i decided to drop the pan and check around. What i found were many, many slivers of brass bearing material at the bottom of the pan and in the strainer. I cleaned it all out & reassembled with fresh oil but my oil light still comes on at anything under 13k. So looks like I've got a mildly spun bearing somewheres...so mild that she doesn't even knock and still rides very well. Utill of course, she handgrenades...

What are my options?
Get rid of it for cheep?
Repair the bottom end and get rid of it for a new 'soul-less' 1000rr?lol
Do a complete R&R and build her stronger than stock with headwork and 'race' rods...a bionic 929 if you will(are the power gains worth it?)
Pull the motor & swap out a used one...$1k-1.5k mistery motor? No thanks!

If I split the cases and pull the crank, doesn't that involve pulling the head and pistons too? Thats gonna suck! Won't that require a new rod as well(if the ofending bearing is from the dreaded #3)? Whats a straight up bottom end refresh gonna cost in parts?(just gaskets right?) Anything else i should service while i'm in there?

Anyone gone down this path and successfully redone their bottom end?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page