wont start, need some help please! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-11-2011, 7:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

wont start, need some help please!

Hey guys!

First off, let me start with a little background on what happened to the bike. It was a basket case when I got it, but its a 96 cbr900rr. The bike was overheated or something. I live in Indiana so we have cold winters and there was water in the radiator so that might have messed something up. Either way, there was a nasty section in the cam chain area that blew out in the cylinder head. I found a new head off ebay for a 97' which to my knowledge works with my year. With that I also got a gasket kit and a few other misc. parts I needed. I got it pretty much all the way buttoned up, but I'm starting to do some of the wiring and having issues. For starters, its got no body so no lights or instrument cluster. I only have some lights in the back by the license plate for running lights and brakes. Have lights for blinkers, but not worried about those at the moment, just wanna get it running.

I guess my question is what all exactly needs to be plugged in to get the bike to start? I'm guessing things like the neutral indicator, side stand switch, kill switch, and starter button are needed, but things like the temp sensors and other odds and ends. Do I need the clutch sensor plugged in, and also do I need to have the clutch in to start the bike? I thought as long as the neutral switch/light was on it would start with no clutch or kick stand. Not too sure, and any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! I thought I had basically everything plugged up temp. and tried to start her, but wasn't getting anything. Well, it was turning over with the starter and the lights in the back were working. The sounds it was making sounded familiar coming out the exhaust (like it had decent timing, nothing was clicking to my knowledge or banging against anything). I think I wasn't getting spark, but not sure. I wanna run compression checks also.

With all that, the oil and radiator fluid did mix, making that chocolate milk looking crap and then the bike did sit for a bit taken apart. What can I do to clean the carbs? As I'm thinking that could be an issue also. When I took the fuel tank back off, there was gas in the line after the petcock and before the carbs, but that doesn't mean its flowing well inside them.

Thanks again for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: wont start, need some help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidrick View Post
Hey guys!

First off, let me start with a little background on what happened to the bike. It was a basket case when I got it, but its a 96 cbr900rr. The bike was overheated or something. I live in Indiana so we have cold winters and there was water in the radiator so that might have messed something up. Either way, there was a nasty section in the cam chain area that blew out in the cylinder head. I found a new head off ebay for a 97' which to my knowledge works with my year. With that I also got a gasket kit and a few other misc. parts I needed. I got it pretty much all the way buttoned up, but I'm starting to do some of the wiring and having issues. For starters, its got no body so no lights or instrument cluster. I only have some lights in the back by the license plate for running lights and brakes. Have lights for blinkers, but not worried about those at the moment, just wanna get it running.

I guess my question is what all exactly needs to be plugged in to get the bike to start? I'm guessing things like the neutral indicator, side stand switch, kill switch, and starter button are needed, but things like the temp sensors and other odds and ends. Do I need the clutch sensor plugged in, and also do I need to have the clutch in to start the bike? I thought as long as the neutral switch/light was on it would start with no clutch or kick stand. Not too sure, and any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! I thought I had basically everything plugged up temp. and tried to start her, but wasn't getting anything. Well, it was turning over with the starter and the lights in the back were working. The sounds it was making sounded familiar coming out the exhaust (like it had decent timing, nothing was clicking to my knowledge or banging against anything). I think I wasn't getting spark, but not sure. I wanna run compression checks also.

With all that, the oil and radiator fluid did mix, making that chocolate milk looking crap and then the bike did sit for a bit taken apart. What can I do to clean the carbs? As I'm thinking that could be an issue also. When I took the fuel tank back off, there was gas in the line after the petcock and before the carbs, but that doesn't mean its flowing well inside them.

Thanks again for any help!

To see if you have spark spray starter fluid into the airbox while cranking the engine over. If it fires then you have spark.
The carbs will need to be completely disassembled and cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 10 Old 07-12-2011, 1:26 AM Thread Starter

What are these grounds for? They are a bunch of green wires.

And also, there is a small wire for the water temp sensor, and neutral switch and a small ground. Anyone recall where that went? It has a rubber grommet over it and is pretty small in diameter, and is the blue connector in the wiring harness.

Thanks for your help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-12-2011, 2:20 PM Thread Starter

don't know why, but my picture from above isn't working...
post #5 of 10 Old 07-12-2011, 2:21 PM Thread Starter

well, nevermind, none of my pictures are working.....they were last night.....dirty.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-12-2011, 4:32 PM Thread Starter

well, i wired up the harness again and found out a few things i wasn't doing right. so fixed those and tried again to fire it using blades technique of using starter fluid, and it wanted to start! so i have spark i believe! now i just have to do something about the carbs. anyone know some average prices of getting carbs cleaned? i'm going to call some local shops but i wanna try and get some ballpark numbers.

thanks!
post #7 of 10 Old 07-13-2011, 2:56 AM Thread Starter

it's alive!!!!! finally got it running!

couple questions.

1. my throttle doesn't snap back like it should, what are some causes of that??

2. my clutch is kinda hard to pull in. how much resistance should i be getting? and is it normally ran through the area where the throttle cables go? and then to the clutch puller? nothing is kinked in the clutch line or the throttle cables, what could be causing the clutch to be so hard??
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2011, 2:59 AM Thread Starter

how do you link a video i uploaded on facebook?
post #9 of 10 Old 07-13-2011, 8:33 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidrick View Post
it's alive!!!!! finally got it running!

couple questions.

1. my throttle doesn't snap back like it should, what are some causes of that??

2. my clutch is kinda hard to pull in. how much resistance should i be getting? and is it normally ran through the area where the throttle cables go? and then to the clutch puller? nothing is kinked in the clutch line or the throttle cables, what could be causing the clutch to be so hard??

Check that no hoses or wiring are fouling against the cables or throttle linkages but usually the problem is worn dirty cables. You can also try backing off the adjuster a couple of turns to ensure they're not too tight.
If that doesn't fix it then take the cables off and clean them. I use WD40 or INOX and keep working the cable until it runs out the other end.
A frayed clutch cable often has a dead sort of feel to it. Considering the age of the bike maybe just put a new cable on it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #10 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 1:31 AM Thread Starter

little update....got the throttle cables working GREAT! just played with the adjustment bolts down by the carbs and the grip snaps back to its regular spot nice and quick! took the clutch cable off for now. i'm gonna wire up some turn signals, brake lights, license plate light, and running lights some how. i think i'm gonna unwrap the harness and try and clean it up a bit so i can tuck things a bit better and make it nice and clean.

i'd like to use some type of shrink wrap to wrap the harness in, is anyone aware of any type of wrap that would work? i would imagine you need to get the right wrap over the wires before you put the connectors on. is there any type of wrap out that there that can fit over the connectors but still shrink? if not i'm just going to use electrical tape.

one last thing i wanna do is get a bigger headlight with a working low and high beam setup. any suggestions out there for that, i like the look of the bigger sized buell type single headlight. something about 5-7" range but not really deep.

thanks for looking and any help guys!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page