cbr954rr Rear Brake Problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

cbr954rr Rear Brake Problem

I have a 954 and it seems to be having some brake problems, it has braided steel brake lines all connections seem fine. There is only 1/2 inch play in the lever, I can bleed the brakes and that fixes it for a couple of seconds once I tighten the bleeder if I press the lever repeatedly it gets shorter and shorter back to the 1/2 inch. when the brake is applied it slows down but very slowly, ineffectively slow at that. any ideas?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:12 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Re: cbr954rr Rear Brake Problem

so DID you put new brake fluid and then bleed them again. If so it might be the brake line how old or new is it?
post #3 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.scarlet View Post
so DID you put new brake fluid and then bleed them again. If so it might be the brake line how old or new is it?
Ive done it 4 times three with old fluid once with new and the same thing happens every time. and idk how old the line is it was on the bike when i bought it. It looks to be in good shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:18 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954 RACER View Post
I have a 954 and it seems to be having some brake problems, it has braided steel brake lines all connections seem fine. There is only 1/2 inch play in the lever, I can bleed the brakes and that fixes it for a couple of seconds once I tighten the bleeder if I press the lever repeatedly it gets shorter and shorter back to the 1/2 inch. when the brake is applied it slows down but very slowly, ineffectively slow at that. any ideas?

Thanks for the help in advance.

I would strip the master and caliper and throughly clean everything.
The rear brake is always going to be ineffectively slow on a sportsbike unless you significantly alter the weight distribution, it really is not designed to slow the bike down, that's the job of the front brakes.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I would strip the master and caliper and throughly clean everything.
The rear brake is always going to be ineffectively slow on a sportsbike unless you significantly alter the weight distribution, it really is not designed to slow the bike down, that's the job of the front brakes.

ok and I know but whats the point of having a rear break if it does nothing?
post #6 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:30 PM

Quote:
It does help stop. I think its like 70% front 30 in the back or something like that.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:34 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:

It's a legal requirement to have two seperate braking systems on the bike, even if physics dictates that one is ineffective anyway.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:37 PM

If u really wanted to, U can actually take one rotor off the front and it will still be effective! But i wouldnt try it, becasue if that was the case why put two right
post #9 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:37 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
It does help stop. I think its like 70% front 30 in the back or something like that.

Nope.
There is no rule that covers all motorcycle designs or braking situations. Under emergency braking you should be 100% on the front tyre of a sportsbike for maximum stopping grip on the road. Using the front and rear at 70/30 is only going to stop you at 70% of your actual stopping ability.
If you can stop faster using both brakes then you need a lot more practise on the front brake.

Last edited by bladeracer; 07-18-2011 at 1:42 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Nope.
There is no rule that covers all motorcycle designs or braking situations. Under emergency braking you should be 100% on the front tyre of a sportsbike for maximum stopping grip on the road. Using the front and rear at 70/30 is only going to stop you at 70% of you actual stopping ability.
If you can stop faster using both brakes then you need a lot more practise on the front brake.
TRUE! I was just passing what they tried to teach me in the motorcycle class.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:41 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
If u really wanted to, U can actually take one rotor off the front and it will still be effective! But i wouldnt try it, becasue if that was the case why put two right

Yes, I've done this myself.
The reason you have two big front discs is because the front tyre is the one that is going to stop your bike. You could use a single larger and heavier disc if you prefer, but you'll need a much larger wheel diameter to be able to fit a caliper around it and still provide effective leverage and pad area.
Using a single disc that is designed as one of a pair merely reduces the effectiveness significantly under hard usage.

post #12 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok now that we understand Laws and regulations anyone else have any ideas lol
post #13 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 1:48 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ok now that we understand Laws and regulations anyone else have any ideas lol

You have air or moisture in the system that you need to clean out.

post #14 of 16 Old 07-18-2011, 8:21 PM Thread Starter

nothing is helping, completely took the caliper apart and cleaned it and nothing, the master cylinder seems to be fine Im pretty sure its the piston or the piston seal does this make sense?
post #15 of 16 Old 07-19-2011, 2:52 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
nothing is helping, completely took the caliper apart and cleaned it and nothing, the master cylinder seems to be fine Im pretty sure its the piston or the piston seal does this make sense?

You haven't cleaned the master cylinder yet though?
You will be able to make the brake system work, but you won't make it able to significantly slow the bike down.
I did the rear brakes on one of my bikes a couple of weeks back and the piston was seized solid. I had to drift it out with a hammer. But it cleaned up and works just fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page