02 954 dripping oil/gas? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 8:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

02 954 dripping oil/gas?

good morning all. been a member for a very long time, but havent been on in a long time. i used to ride an 01 RC51, ive since sold it and bought a 02 954RR. here is my issue, i live about 6 minutes from work. i rode the bike to work yesterday and when i went to leave for home i noticed a small mess under the bike on the blacktop. it was about a 2 1/2 spot, it appeared to be oil. it was directly under the tube that runs thru the belly of the plastics and hangs down below the bike. heres where my confusion comes in.The oil, or gas, or whatever it was was very black and very dirty and had soaked into the pavement slightly. so here is what im wondering.

1. what is that tube/hose connected to, that could be leaking?
2. my oil level is full and my oil in the crankcase is very clean

somthing that i should note. there are other riders at the company that ocassionally park in the same spot and this "puddle" may not be from my bike, but it appeared as it had due to the location under the bike. However, when i got home and pulled the bike in the garage i placed a rag undeer the bike and let it sit and there was nothing on the rag after a couple of hours.
ive kept this bike in my finished (carpeted) basement since i bought it in VA and never had any spots on the carpet.
I just want to make sure what that hose is actually connected to in case it IS in fact leaking i can fix it.

also, since i bought the bike it has a "ticking"or "clacking" sound that slows and speeds up with the RPM. bike runs great but it dosent sound "right" to me. i know the injectors can sometimes be heard but this is louder than that. at least compared to my old RC51.
the bike at one point appears to have had a powercommander ( velcro in trunk) it has an erion slipon. and im unsure if it has a K&N or not, i havent looked.
the bike has 15,xxx on the odometer. but the bike has also been at least +1 in the rear (44T) and im assuming -1 in front as this thing is geared LOW!
running 70MPH in 6th gear the engine is turning about 5600 RPM and the front wheel dosent want to stay down even in 2nd gear.

i have a few other ?'s but ill post those later.
thanks in adv. for your help.
Kelley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 1:17 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Re: 02 954 dripping oil/gas?

well the hose sounds to be a fuel vent hose, and the ticking could be ur valves might need to be adjusted sounds like its time for a valve job on tat bike as for the 44t it could have been a stunt bike with that gearing i would guess
post #3 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 3:34 PM

Reputation Power: 78

A stunt bike will have much steeper gearing than -1/+1.

There are usually two hoses coming through the lower fairing, a breather tube and an overflow tube.

The 929/954 are loud/ticky. If its on the right side, and you have the oem cct, then it's likely that.

Sounds like its not your bike thats leaking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 4:38 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input...im going to listen and see if i can pinpoint whichside the ticking is coming from..i was thinking the valves may be due for the adjustment but then i remembered the gearing being lowered would rack up miles fast so it probably has less that what the odometer reads..and with the cain and sprocket about due for replacement, its been racking up xtra milage for a couple years at least. id guess its only about 10-12k actual milage. maybe a little less or a little more ( im just assuming...and ya know what they say about that) im hoping its just coincidense that i happened to park perfectly over a harleys territory and it is not my bike leaking...illl take the bike for a "spirited" ride when i get home and park it over a piece of card board and let it sit for a while.
what does the breather tube go to? the crankcase or somwhere else? is there anything that could be wrong causing it drip if it is in fact coming from my bike?
are the valves easy to shim? or is it better left to a shope? i mean im a mechanical engineer and i grew up working in my dads auto shop and ive built small block v-8s from nothing but ive never messed with a bike engine. or is it such a PITA that even if i CAN do i probably dont WANT to do it?
thanks again guys
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2011, 3:49 PM Thread Starter

well, much to my relief, the oil spot is not from my bike. it has not dripped a drop anywhere i park it. thanks for the help. i cannot however pinpoint the location of the ticking/clacking/ its actually gotten alittle quiter the more and more i ride it. could this be a slug of crud or sludge stuck in an oil orifice? it almost sounds like its just coming from the top of of the engine...somwhere...but its hard to pin point if its from one side or the other. sounds pretty centralized to me.thanks
Kelley

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page