best afr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 3:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

best afr

WHat would be the best air fuel ratio to run on a 06 blade for power, and which would be best for fuel economy? I can switch between 2 maps on the go, so I'd like one for each. I always run shell 93 octane btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 5:35 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: best afr

My bet is that you´ll get a number of different answers. So...here´s mine.
For the record i "map" engines for a living and have been part of developing the swedish stand alone EFI- VEMS.

For an NA engine i normaly shoot for an AFR of 12.7-12.8:1 for maximum torq and then a tad leaner,like 13.0-13.1:1,for maximum power.
(Supercharged engines of any sort is a VASTLY different animal)
It all can be dependant of fuel too. Around here sc E85 has been all the rage the past 10+yrs and alcohols in general...you get away with running a bit rich when on the wagon vs when using gasoline.

Economy in turn is MUCH harder as various different designs(combustion chambers especialy) burn a little different.
There´s those that claim that you will see no real benefit going beyond lambda 1. Ie-for gasoline 14.7:1 AFR.
On the other hand...companies like Nissan asf have been working on high stratosphere combchambers for quite some time to save fuel and have successfuly run down to 22:1.

I dunno...but for a bike...i at least think that going much past 14.7...what´s the point? It gets kind of detrimental as a bike in many ways is a recreational vehicle. More so even a sportsbike i guess.

Being one of those that do this for a living there´s a couple of pointers i´d like to ad.
First of all a dyno session of some sorts is an advantage. Not a neccesity if you know what you´re doing but it certainly helps and it certainly cuts down lead time.
Second of all the mainstay of mapping should be focused on idle,light load and coasting-out on the open road- as a fact is that for any vehicle using a number plate the mainstay of driving will be executed in that area.
To find out what happens at WOT...tbh..that is done rather quickly-all things compared.
Things like progression phases,vehicle dynamics aso aso however will affect how YOU drive and use the vehicle. Much more so than you might at first believe.

If you opt to use an EGT make sure you understand the physics involved in installing it. Then read up-intensly-how to interpret the info. EGT;s are a cause of much dispair as well as controverse....and the majority of hobbyist have no clue what the EGT REALLY tells and says.
If you can log the EGT with the rest of the info...that is a good thing.

Lastly loggin is your friend. You CAN NOT log to much.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-23-2011, 3:50 PM Thread Starter

Whoa! Lot of info there! FIrst. I have a bazzaz zf-I with afm. It gives me mapping suggestions based off of o2 readings. Right now I have it set to 13.0 but I think slightly richer may be best, like 12.8??? As for the other map, I don't want to run too lean due to heat. Would going 13.8 give me much more mileage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-23-2011, 4:09 PM

No offense,but if it is i suggest you reading up on real life results when fooling around with this stuff. Look up serious URLs over the net...and read.

13.8:1 is an inbetween that really isn´t useful for anything. If you run the jagged edge as far as timing an AFR of 13.8:1 under full load will put you into harmful detonation territory. Anywhere as close to lambda 1 under WOT is a no-go.
For the sake of argument tho,if you go really lean-like 16:1 asf-that will NOT render detonation as the engine will be running so lean that it won´t produce any power to speak of vs its capacity.

However,if you look at the AFR for lightload/cruise asf striving for lambda 1 is how it is done. Under those running conditions trying to hit lambda 1 is a good thing.
FWIW...few hardcore users ref as AFR these days.
To get AFR from lambda value you simply multiply the reached lambda with 14.7 and thereby get AFR.

For instance.
You sensor reads .88
K.
We then say 0.88*14.7= 12.94,which is your AFR.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah... This is way over my head! I don't really want to spend the $200 to get my bike dyno tuned when I could some cool accessory with that money... The AFM will get close enough for me, as I don't race. So before you confuse me further, what do you think would be best: keeping a 13.0 afr or going slightly leaner to 12.8? Forget the fuel economy part...
post #6 of 9 Old 07-25-2011, 6:55 AM

Stick with the 12.8-13.0 AFR for any form of load. Ie going wide open throttle asf.

For cruise and light load conditions that AFR meter should show somewhere around 14.7 for steady state throttle,and it should numericaly drop as you move the throttle and give the engine gas to overtake or whatever.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-25-2011, 5:59 PM Thread Starter

AH... Now I get it. Use a high afr for low throttle percentages and steadily decrease it for higher throttles! Where would it be safe to use 14.7?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-25-2011, 6:01 PM

14.7 is used at light load/cruise.

AFR 14.7 is also called lambda 1 btw.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing View Post
AFR 14.7 is also called lambda 1 btw.
Yeah, I did a some googling and discovered that I can set whatever afr I want at whatever point based on throttle position and rpm, so I'll put some thought into it and draft up a map. I'll post a screen shot of it up here just to make sure i'm not, you know, blowing my bike up or something

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page