front brake issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

front brake issues

Here is my delimma. when I bought my bike i noticed the front brakes felt very mushy at the lever, in fact, you could pull the lever almost all the way to the grip before they would engage. so I bought some brake fluid and proceeded to flush the system and bleed all the air out. the bike was previously equipped with goodridge braided lines as well. after flushing and bleeding the brakes the lever felt really good. The bike then sat in my basement for about a month and a half, as I moved back to michigan, and the bike was down in Virginia waiting to be transported back here. Soon as it rolled off the truck I noticed the lever feel was gone once again. SOOO. I talked to the service manager at the honda shop (who happens to be a very close friend of mine) and he told me to make sure when I bleed the brakes start with the left hand caliper (farthest from master cylinder) so I re-bled them and they felt ok again, for a while. I go out to jump on the bike after about a month again and the lever is getting mushy again. I have looked everywhere for a leak and I cannot find ANYTHING that looks to be leaking, and the fluid level is not low in the master cylinder...I have noticed that the bike is about due for some new pads, is it possible that the worn pads are causing my issue? Is there maybe somthing going on with my master cylinder sucking air? Im at a loss..thanks for any input . I tried searching and couldnt find anything that really matched my situation very well.
Kelley

Last edited by kelleyj; 07-28-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-31-2011, 4:02 AM Thread Starter

Re: front brake issues

Anyone? Please?
post #3 of 19 Old 07-31-2011, 4:36 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyj View Post
Here is my delimma. when I bought my bike i noticed the front brakes felt very mushy at the lever, in fact, you could pull the lever almost all the way to the grip before they would engage. so I bought some brake fluid and proceeded to flush the system and bleed all the air out. the bike was previously equipped with goodridge braided lines as well. after flushing and bleeding the brakes the lever felt really good. The bike then sat in my basement for about a month and a half, as I moved back to michigan, and the bike was down in Virginia waiting to be transported back here. Soon as it rolled off the truck I noticed the lever feel was gone once again. SOOO. I talked to the service manager at the honda shop (who happens to be a very close friend of mine) and he told me to make sure when I bleed the brakes start with the left hand caliper (farthest from master cylinder) so I re-bled them and they felt ok again, for a while. I go out to jump on the bike after about a month again and the lever is getting mushy again. I have looked everywhere for a leak and I cannot find ANYTHING that looks to be leaking, and the fluid level is not low in the master cylinder...I have noticed that the bike is about due for some new pads, is it possible that the worn pads are causing my issue? Is there maybe somthing going on with my master cylinder sucking air? Im at a loss..thanks for any input . I tried searching and couldnt find anything that really matched my situation very well.
Kelley

Are you saying you only ride every month or that the brakes only feel poor after a month?
I would strip the calipers and master cylinder and thoroughly clean the system out. If the bike sits for long periods corrosion builds up in the system due to moisture being absorbed by the fluid.
Are you using DOT4 fluid?
Are the discs straight?
If the pads are very worn and you're using the brakes very hard you may be boiling the fluid which ruins it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-31-2011, 6:10 AM

Reputation Power: 9

Pull the brake lever and fix it with a cable ties up your next run, after this > tell me more
post #5 of 19 Old 07-31-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

ok let me be a little more clear...i bought the bike back in november...the bike sat until the weather cleared...over winter i flushed and bled the brakes to rectify this problem....it helped right off..but the biek didnt get ridden..in between that time i moved to michigan and the bike was not ridden..when the bike arrived to MI the lever was mushy again after sitting for about two months...bled them again WITH DOT 4 synthetic fluid...
the rortrs were glazed so i used a scotchbrite to clean them a bit..the pads are definitly ready to be replaced. since the bike has been here with me ive been riding it almost daily and they felt good for about 3 weeks then started to get spongy again gradually.
are you saying to ride the bike with the brake lever zip tied down to apply the front brakes? what does that do? i dont think this set of pads could take it...maybe with new pads. thats to seat them in right?..i plan on putting new rotors and pads on over the winter as well
post #6 of 19 Old 07-31-2011, 11:02 PM

Reputation Power: 9

Send a message via Skype™ to KingCobra

when its being stored do that if im thinking on his level, i had same thing with mine and bled and next day no good so i took a pressure pump to my bleed screws and pumped it just a bit to see if the system would hold pressure and it didnt so i put teflon tape over my threads on the bleader screws and that helped... you can see if your screw is leaking but with a slow leak your prolly best going the br advise, good luck man.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-01-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
when its being stored do that if im thinking on his level, i had same thing with mine and bled and next day no good so i took a pressure pump to my bleed screws and pumped it just a bit to see if the system would hold pressure and it didnt so i put teflon tape over my threads on the bleader screws and that helped... you can see if your screw is leaking but with a slow leak your prolly best going the br advise, good luck man.
thats actually a good idea...its worth a shot...once i get my light situation fixed now haha
so by squeezing the lever and holding it there with zip ties, is that suppose to get all the air up to the master cylinder or what?

Last edited by kelleyj; 08-01-2011 at 8:42 AM.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-19-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

ok. so i finally picked up a new set of EBC HH pads from and rear ...put them on last night..this is what i found. on the left caliper, outside front most piston, it was sticking. i pulled caliper. with pads still in it..no rotor to space them out i pumped the front brakes...that piston didnt extend out until the other thress where pressing the pads together...then it came out...i cleaned it and used a little penetrating oil on it...pressed all pistons back in and then pumped brakes again. the pressed them all in again. cleaned it again to remove any residue. put new pads on and pumped brakes...they are niec and firm now. i did tie a ziptie around the front brake lever after i was done and squeeze the brakes as tight as i could and let it set for a little bit...all i can say is it seems to have helped..if i have issues again down the road, ill be finding another lh caliper.

thanks guys

Kell

oh..and those EBC's Bite HARD! i lovem!

Last edited by kelleyj; 08-19-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
post #9 of 19 Old 08-31-2011, 3:06 PM Thread Starter

ok. so after sitting a few days the lever still gets mushy. not as bad as they were, but if i sqeeze the life out of the lever a few times, they firm back up. i picked up some new caliper piston seals today to replace on the piston that was sticking, question is this...when i pop the piston out of the caliper, if there is any kind of corrosion on the piston itself, whats the best way to clean it up?. im going to replace the seals on both outside pistons on the left caliper.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-12-2011, 4:22 PM Thread Starter

ok...just wanted to let anyone who might experience this issue know what i found, i ordered new seals for the caliper, ended up getting all new seals to rebuild the entire caliper. took it all apart and even after flushing the entire system and filling it with NEW DOT 4 fluid, when i took the pistons out of the caliper there was dark fluid in the caliper body with flakes of somthing in the caliper. looked like a film had formed on the inside and was floating around in the caliper. I took 00 steel wool and cleaned the grime and and crud off of the pistons and cleaned out the caliper body halve with brake cleaner, then put in a touch of new fluid and dipped the new seals in a heavy coating of new brake fluid before installing them. as with the pistons once they were cleaned, assembled everything and refilled the brakes and bled them...the lever feel is amazing now and everythign seems to be copesetic at this point. hope this fixes everything. but i definitely noticed a vast improvement in lever feel as well as overall stopping power.
post #11 of 19 Old 09-12-2011, 4:25 PM Thread Starter

on a side note, i think this bike lived outside in the weather for a while before i bought it...please dont do this to your bikes...they just arent made to sit outside all the time like that, especially in a humid, east coast salt water eviroment, its oxidizes EVERYTHING and makes everything harder to work on. do your self a favor and build a shed at the very least
post #12 of 19 Old 09-12-2011, 4:27 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
ok...just wanted to let anyone who might experience this issue know what i found, i ordered new seals for the caliper, ended up getting all new seals to rebuild the entire caliper. took it all apart and even after flushing the entire system and filling it with NEW DOT 4 fluid, when i took the pistons out of the caliper there was dark fluid in the caliper body with flakes of somthing in the caliper. looked like a film had formed on the inside and was floating around in the caliper. I took 00 steel wool and cleaned the grime and and crud off of the pistons and cleaned out the caliper body halve with brake cleaner, then put in a touch of new fluid and dipped the new seals in a heavy coating of new brake fluid before installing them. as with the pistons once they were cleaned, assembled everything and refilled the brakes and bled them...the lever feel is amazing now and everythign seems to be copesetic at this point. hope this fixes everything. but i definitely noticed a vast improvement in lever feel as well as overall stopping power.

The crud is the result of not replacing the fluid every year.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #13 of 19 Old 09-12-2011, 4:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 199

This thread nicely illistrates, just because you *flush* your brake system (or hydralic clutch) by passing new fluid thru the resevior to the bleeder valve, that doesn't mean you've cleaned it. You really do need to take it all apart, physically clean it, replace cups/seals as needed, and reassemble.
It's so worth it when you do it right!
post #14 of 19 Old 09-14-2011, 9:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
This thread nicely illistrates, just because you *flush* your brake system (or hydralic clutch) by passing new fluid thru the resevior to the bleeder valve, that doesn't mean you've cleaned it. You really do need to take it all apart, physically clean it, replace cups/seals as needed, and reassemble.
It's so worth it when you do it right!
amen to that...i put almost 1/2 a big bottle of fluid thru it and still found crud..and after tearing a caliper apart and replacing seals and seeing how easy it is and it cost me less than 25 bucks to rebuild the caliper. so even if you flush it every year and do a complete system rebuild every other year its easy cheap peace of mind.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 199

Quote:
amen to that...i put almost 1/2 a big bottle of fluid thru it and still found crud..and after tearing a caliper apart and replacing seals and seeing how easy it is and it cost me less than 25 bucks to rebuild the caliper. so even if you flush it every year and do a complete system rebuild every other year its easy cheap peace of mind.
True, not necessary to rebuild every year. But when you first get your bike-definatly.
And they just work so much better. Especailly when you really need them...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page