Sick of spinning a #3 rod bearing? CBR900rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Sick of spinning a #3 rod bearing? CBR900rr

I have figured out Honda's flaw in the engine design and I have made a small kit to add in the engine to prevent the spun bearing. After 3 spun bearings on my 96 900rrs I decided to figure out why. I have tested 2 of my motors to 5k miles in the conditions that caused my previous spun bearings. I have concluded this simple mod is the key. I am just picking your brians here, Would anyone be interested in purchasing this mod kit if I started producing them? It would be around 100 bucks. I can't tell you much more about it. Is anyone interested? And yes I would give a guarantee of sorts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 3:53 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Sick of spinning a #3 rod bearing? CBR900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHRnD View Post
I have figured out Honda's flaw in the engine design and I have made a small kit to add in the engine to prevent the spun bearing. After 3 spun bearings on my 96 900rrs I decided to figure out why. I have tested 2 of my motors to 5k miles in the conditions that caused my previous spun bearings. I have concluded this simple mod is the key. I am just picking your brians here, Would anyone be interested in purchasing this mod kit if I started producing them? It would be around 100 bucks. I can't tell you much more about it. Is anyone interested? And yes I would give a guarantee of sorts.

Does it require splitting the cases or can it be added to an engine before it eats the rod bearing?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM

Reputation Power: 9

im going to go out on a limb here and if i am wrong i appologize...

you keep blowing # 3 cause you enjoy wheelies and hold them for duration.

honda in the mid/late 90's got tired of paying for engines under warentee
so with the 900's and more so going fwd... they redesigned the engine oil delivery internally so when a customer came in and said "we have an engine problem" they would pull #3 plug and scope it ... once they saw "blueing" they knew the problem
and your claim was denieid

so i am going to go with thats your problem.

only way to 'help or fix' the problem and it WONT stop it from happening ...
oil baffel in the pan ..will help oil stay with the engine when you are vertical.. but it wont STOP the problem from happening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestates View Post
im going to go out on a limb here and if i am wrong i appologize...

you keep blowing # 3 cause you enjoy wheelies and hold them for duration.

honda in the mid/late 90's got tired of paying for engines under warentee
so with the 900's and more so going fwd... they redesigned the engine oil delivery internally so when a customer came in and said "we have an engine problem" they would pull #3 plug and scope it ... once they saw "blueing" they knew the problem
and your claim was denieid

so i am going to go with thats your problem.

only way to 'help or fix' the problem and it WONT stop it from happening ...
oil baffel in the pan ..will help oil stay with the engine when you are vertical.. but it wont STOP the problem from happening

How exactly can they deny a blown engine warranty claim because the owner does wheelies?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 11:03 AM

its considered abuse ..
just cause the bike CAN do wheelies.. does not mean it was designed to do it ..
it has 2 wheels and was designed to stay on 2 wheels..

pulling it up for duration starves the engine ... always # 3

like it or not .. why should they replace your engine for free if you are abusing the bike ..
thats the logic

engines are not cheap .. you pay 12k for a bike.. go abuse it ... why should they pay 3-4k for a new engine..

they'd be better off charging you 8 for the bike with no engine and you can buy as many engines as you want as you blow them ... lol
post #6 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
its considered abuse ..
just cause the bike CAN do wheelies.. does not mean it was designed to do it ..
it has 2 wheels and was designed to stay on 2 wheels..

pulling it up for duration starves the engine ... always # 3

like it or not .. why should they replace your engine for free if you are abusing the bike ..
thats the logic

engines are not cheap .. you pay 12k for a bike.. go abuse it ... why should they pay 3-4k for a new engine..

they'd be better off charging you 8 for the bike with no engine and you can buy as many engines as you want as you blow them ... lol
If you pay 12K for a bike you have every right to do whatever you want with it, it's your money and your bike.
Unless the manufacturer specifically states you can't do wheelies as it will void the warranty that would never stand up here. Motorcycles get used for wheelies and the manufacturer knows that before they design and market the bike. They specifically state that racing voids the warranty but that's a very different thing.

post #7 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
If you pay 12K for a bike you have every right to do whatever you want with it, it's your money and your bike.
Unless the manufacturer specifically states you can't do wheelies as it will void the warranty that would never stand up here. Motorcycles get used for wheelies and the manufacturer knows that before they design and market the bike. They specifically state that racing voids the warranty but that's a very different thing.

ok .. i can tell you from talking to honda directly ... wheelies... are considered ABUSE... and the bike is NOT designed for wheelies.. if you think they design the bike for the 10% of people that do wheelies... you are wrong ..
they design them for the masses...

dont hate the messenger or the message.
post #8 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
ok .. i can tell you from talking to honda directly ... wheelies... are considered ABUSE... and the bike is NOT designed for wheelies.. if you think they design the bike for the 10% of people that do wheelies... you are wrong ..
they design them for the masses...

dont hate the messenger or the message.

Do the dealers advise buyers that wheelies will void the warranty before they buy the bike?
If that stands up in US law then you either need better consumer laws or a better legal system.

Last edited by bladeracer; 08-14-2011 at 6:37 AM.
post #9 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 11:37 AM

IMO here in the states we need neither when it comes to this issue..
also read the fine print of your warentee... TECHNICALLY as soon as you put a slip on exhaust... flush mount lights.... on your bike you void your coverage...

when it comes to this... i think its safe to say that the less than 10% of people that wheelie and white line at 70-100mph... wont get sympathy from the other 90+% of consumers
post #10 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
IMO here in the states we need neither when it comes to this issue..
also read the fine print of your warentee... TECHNICALLY as soon as you put a slip on exhaust... flush mount lights.... on your bike you void your coverage...

when it comes to this... i think its safe to say that the less than 10% of people that wheelie and white line at 70-100mph... wont get sympathy from the other 90+% of consumers

Not under Australian Consumer Law.
The manufacturer has to _prove_ that a specific modification actually caused a failure for it to be non-warrantable.
Here the manufacturer is expected to produce a product that will actually do what the purchasers expect it to do.
The manufacturer can write whatever small print they like in their warranty but our Consumer Laws are Legal Rights which cannot be waived by the manufacturer, retailer nor anybody else - no matter what the warranty states.

post #11 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 AM

and honda produces by far the best bike with the best record in the industry...
wheelies are not what the bike is made or desgned for... and by setting the engin so that #3 blues when it gets starved is proof of abuse..

again dont hate the messenger or message...

thats the way it is
post #12 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
and honda produces by far the best bike with the best record in the industry...
wheelies are not what the bike is made or desgned for... and by setting the engin so that #3 blues when it gets starved is proof of abuse..

again dont hate the messenger or message...

thats the way it is

Say what?
Do you have any statistical evidence to support such a view?
Best record of what?
What is your view of how they screwed hundreds of '08 Blade purchasers and responded to them with lie after lie?
The fact that the same bearing fails under the same conditions does not prove abuse, it proves a design flaw.

post #13 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 12:01 PM

your opinion is your opinion.. i dont own honda.. im only telling you what i was told..
complain to honda...

the OP asked abut #3 so i replied..

thanks
post #14 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
your opinion is your opinion.. i dont own honda.. im only telling you what i was told..
complain to honda...

the OP asked abut #3 so i replied..

thanks

You need to learn that everything people tell you is not true.
So you have nothing to support your statement making it nothing more than your own opinion as well then?

post #15 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 12:08 PM

sure if thats what you think ... sure no problem.
you are right .. talking directly to the rd guys at honda...
you are right .. i should not put crediibility in to what they tell me

im done replying .. you clearly are looking for an on going argument

good luck
ride safe

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page