Testing the reg/rec and stator - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-29-2011, 6:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Testing the reg/rec and stator

I have a 98 900rr that i know isn't charging the battery. I'm just woundering if someone can help me out with a process to isolate the problem. I do have a meter i'm just looking for the color wires on both to test to figure out which one is bad. Thanks in advance.
Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-29-2011, 11:58 PM

Re: Testing the reg/rec and stator

you have three yellow wires coming from your stator. each wire should be between 0.1 and 1.0 ohms, and they should all be the same. if that checks good check all the plugs between the stator and reg/rec. if their burnt replace. if that doesnt clear it its probally the reg/rec. welcome to num one prob with cbrs, good luck
post #3 of 13 Old 09-03-2011, 1:42 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman98 View Post
I have a 98 900rr that i know isn't charging the battery. I'm just woundering if someone can help me out with a process to isolate the problem. I do have a meter i'm just looking for the color wires on both to test to figure out which one is bad. Thanks in advance.
Steven
Yeah, I had one go bad in my 929. A friend suggested keeping your battery too long makes it work harder to charge.

Anyway, disconnect the stator connector and set your meter for continuity. Put one of the meter leads into the connector end, touching the stator connector pins and touch the other to the stator case, or better, engine case where it's bare aluminum. If you get a tone on any of the stator pins, it's bad. There should be no continuity between the stator and ground.

I have an excerpt from the Honda service manual, a pretty lengthy process to isolate if it's the stator or regulator, but it's for a 929. Prolly wouldn't be the same. I actually had to call one of my best buds, an ace mechanic, to get me as far as I did in diagnosing. I don't know the multimeter too well and I haven't read a schematic in 20 years or more, so I was pretty lost. The continuity test was his idea. Also, always change BOTH stator and regulator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Hi all

I am fairly new here and was really hoping you could give some help.

I have hardly used my 05 blade over the last several weeks and now it will not start. I replaced the battery and ensured the new one was fully charged before plugging it up to the machine and hoped for the best.

Unfortunately this did not do the trick and so I bought myself a multimeter, carrying out various checks as advised on here. This includes:

1. Measuring the voltage of the battery when the bike is off. It measured 12.8v

2. Measuring the voltage of the battery when the bike is on and being revved. The voltage dropped to 12.4v and did not increase whatsoever, even above 5000rpm. This lead me to believe it is a stator or regulator/rectifier issue.

3. Measuring the voltage of the red and green wires that lead to the r/r. This read 12.4v (ie exactly corresponded to that found at the battery)

4. Measuring the resistance of each of the three yellow wires that lead from the stator to the r/r, identified by the upper big yellow circle of the following picture:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2nuio0y.jpg
The readings were between 0.6-0.8 ohms (after subtracting the 0.7 ohms 'zero reading', which is what I got when I shorted the multimeter leads on each other)

5. Measuring the resistance between the yellow wires and the frame of the bike (ie grounding the stator). This varied between 0.2-0.4 ohms for the 3 different wires.

Am I right in thinking that step 5 reveals my stator is broken, as the resistance should be much higher? If so, what resistance should be showing? I did one more test where I turned the bike on and measured the AC voltage of the yellow wires, which was between 12-14v. I then revved the bike above 3000-4000rpm and found the voltage increased, delivering 30-45v. I would have thought that this indicates the stator is fine and I may have an r/r issue(?)

Any advice is really appreciated! Dieing to get back on the road.

Many thanks.
Will
post #5 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nossier View Post
Hi all

I am fairly new here and was really hoping you could give some help.

I have hardly used my 05 blade over the last several weeks and now it will not start. I replaced the battery and ensured the new one was fully charged before plugging it up to the machine and hoped for the best.

Unfortunately this did not do the trick and so I bought myself a multimeter, carrying out various checks as advised on here. This includes:

1. Measuring the voltage of the battery when the bike is off. It measured 12.8v

2. Measuring the voltage of the battery when the bike is on and being revved. The voltage dropped to 12.4v and did not increase whatsoever, even above 5000rpm. This lead me to believe it is a stator or regulator/rectifier issue.

3. Measuring the voltage of the red and green wires that lead to the r/r. This read 12.4v (ie exactly corresponded to that found at the battery)

4. Measuring the resistance of each of the three yellow wires that lead from the stator to the r/r, identified by the upper big yellow circle of the following picture:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2nuio0y.jpg
The readings were between 0.6-0.8 ohms (after subtracting the 0.7 ohms 'zero reading', which is what I got when I shorted the multimeter leads on each other)

5. Measuring the resistance between the yellow wires and the frame of the bike (ie grounding the stator). This varied between 0.2-0.4 ohms for the 3 different wires.

Am I right in thinking that step 5 reveals my stator is broken, as the resistance should be much higher? If so, what resistance should be showing? I did one more test where I turned the bike on and measured the AC voltage of the yellow wires, which was between 12-14v. I then revved the bike above 3000-4000rpm and found the voltage increased, delivering 30-45v. I would have thought that this indicates the stator is fine and I may have an r/r issue(?)

Any advice is really appreciated! Dieing to get back on the road.

Many thanks.
Will
hello there i think my stator has blown on my honda 954, i have bought a multimeter tester and have the 3 yellow wires on display but im confused how u do the actual measuring? is the bike on or off? and which side to the positive and negative's touch? i have found heaps of info on what to do but they never actually tell u how to do the test??
post #6 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 4:37 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Here ya go

post #7 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCBR View Post
Here ya go

thanks heaps for the pick, ill give it a go tomorrow, does explain it better, i take it that the its the same process in testing the R/R or is that a different process?
post #8 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 7:58 AM

I've never tested one officially... I think they are supposed to put out 12-13 volts... usually if stator tests good and you're still not charging than your R/R is bad... another way to know your R/R is bad is if it's litterally burning hot and not charging your bike.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 3:40 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Download this troubleshooting diagram from Electrosport.com:
http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf

You will definitely find out what is wrong if you follow that guide. My regulator diode shorted and melted the wires....

post #10 of 13 Old 04-16-2012, 1:21 AM

Site Map - A Guide for our Website - Electrosport

i went to that trouble shooting page and according to those steps its not my stator or my RR its a problem with the wiring system between the RR and ignition, according to that site its one of the hardest problems to find :S great!

i do have a sneaky feeling what it could be tho, i have just replaced my ecu and the key cut for my ignition doesn't have the h.i.s.s chip in at the moment so i have been activating it with a diffent key and riding with that key in my pocket. i dont know much about it but maybe the battery charging system doesn't activate unless the chip is in contact with the h.i.s.s system? i dont know they may have nothing to do with each other but ill go for a ride soon and find out...
post #11 of 13 Old 04-16-2012, 3:52 AM

those pics aren't big enough
post #12 of 13 Old 12-19-2014, 4:46 PM

Reputation Power: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrman View Post
Download this troubleshooting diagram from Electrosport.com:
http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf

You will definitely find out what is wrong if you follow that guide. My regulator diode shorted and melted the wires....

THIS IS AWESOME!! Thanks a million.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-20-2014, 4:24 PM

Reputation Power: 8

Found this too

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ting-guide.pdf

There's more helpful guides for troubleshooting if you google electrosport stator problems.

I'm in the middle of solving my own right now. Good luck.

Beyond fear is freedom.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page