Questions on a stand-alone 954rr motor - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 01-15-2012, 3:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Questions on a stand-alone 954rr motor

Ok, new guy here
I have a 2003 954rr motor with most of the harness, ecu, etc…I’m prepping it to install in a mini buggy that I’m waiting for the frame to be built. I read through threads and looked through the wiring diagram till my eyes couldn’t handle it anymore, and then some.

I think I have a handle on bypassing most of the switches and sensors that I don’t need, but I want to make sure:
Ignition – zener diode and resistor on the pink wire
Kick stand – connect the two wires together; Green and Green-White
Bank Angle Sensor – jump the Black wire with the Red-Orange wire, leave the White-Black open. I actually don’t have the front part of the harness, so I will have to jump the wires before the connector, which I’ve determined through the diagram to be a Green wire and Red-Orange wire.
Clutch Switch– jump the wires together – again, no front harness, but those go to two connectors that go to the left control…Green-Red from one, Green-White from the other…will having the clutch switch “ON” at all times rob me from any power, or put in some sort of “limp” mode? Is the clutch switch only just for starting? I’m thinking of just having a manual switch or wire it in to the start button…Any ideas?
ECGV Servo Motor – since I don’t have a gauge cluster, I won’t have any warning lights. Do I just unplug the motor and not use it? Will this put me in some sort of “limp” mode?
O2 Sensor – I will be making a custom exhaust, basically using only flange and half of the headers. Will I have to use the O2 sensor? Again, will not connecting this put me in “limp mode”?

Am I missing anything else? Will taking care of the sensors and switches above, and hooking up a battery get me started (assuming everything else is good)? I’ve built a motor stand, and will attempt at powering up and starting after changing fluids, etc…just attempt at starting, not running, as I have no radiator.
Any ideas, insight would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by safetybreaks; 01-15-2012 at 3:02 PM. Reason: edited to clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-15-2012, 9:57 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Questions on a stand-alone 954rr motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetybreaks View Post
Ok, new guy here
I have a 2003 954rr motor with most of the harness, ecu, etc…I’m prepping it to install in a mini buggy that I’m waiting for the frame to be built. I read through threads and looked through the wiring diagram till my eyes couldn’t handle it anymore, and then some.

I think I have a handle on bypassing most of the switches and sensors that I don’t need, but I want to make sure:
Ignition – zener diode and resistor on the pink wire
Kick stand – connect the two wires together; Green and Green-White
Bank Angle Sensor – jump the Black wire with the Red-Orange wire, leave the White-Black open. I actually don’t have the front part of the harness, so I will have to jump the wires before the connector, which I’ve determined through the diagram to be a Green wire and Red-Orange wire.
Clutch Switch– jump the wires together – again, no front harness, but those go to two connectors that go to the left control…Green-Red from one, Green-White from the other…will having the clutch switch “ON” at all times rob me from any power, or put in some sort of “limp” mode? Is the clutch switch only just for starting? I’m thinking of just having a manual switch or wire it in to the start button…Any ideas?
ECGV Servo Motor – since I don’t have a gauge cluster, I won’t have any warning lights. Do I just unplug the motor and not use it? Will this put me in some sort of “limp” mode?
O2 Sensor – I will be making a custom exhaust, basically using only flange and half of the headers. Will I have to use the O2 sensor? Again, will not connecting this put me in “limp mode”?

Am I missing anything else? Will taking care of the sensors and switches above, and hooking up a battery get me started (assuming everything else is good)? I’ve built a motor stand, and will attempt at powering up and starting after changing fluids, etc…just attempt at starting, not running, as I have no radiator.
Any ideas, insight would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Is it a US bike?
There is no limp mode on the 929/954. Disconnecting the HTEV servo motor has no effect on the engine at all.
If the bike has an O2 sensor (is it a Cali model?) then you either need it connected or you need to eliminate it with a device from Dynojet. It won't go to limp mode but it will mess up the fueling if it's not getting accurate O2 data.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 26 Old 01-16-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

I have no idea about us and Cali models but I can only assume so as I bought the motor in California. I also have been following the us diagram and have traced and labeled every plug, and found/accounted for everything on the diagram except the front harness.
Looks like I'm missing a few things: regulator/rectifier, and the MAS (I don't have the airbox). Of course I need the R/R but will I NEED the MAS as well?

Thanks for the o2 sensor info...just trying to get it to start. Does it have to be a certain distance from the head? I'll take it in to account when building the exhaust. What's the device from dynojet? Anyway to bypass it with resistors?

On the clutch switch, what is it for? Just for starting? With the computer care that the clutch lever is always in/not in?

Again, thank you for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Also, I have what look like two fuel lines from the fuel rail. Do I assume one is for fuel from the pump, and the other a return?
post #5 of 26 Old 01-16-2012, 1:38 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have no idea about us and Cali models but I can only assume so as I bought the motor in California. I also have been following the us diagram and have traced and labeled every plug, and found/accounted for everything on the diagram except the front harness.
Looks like I'm missing a few things: regulator/rectifier, and the MAS (I don't have the airbox). Of course I need the R/R but will I NEED the MAS as well?

Thanks for the o2 sensor info...just trying to get it to start. Does it have to be a certain distance from the head? I'll take it in to account when building the exhaust. What's the device from dynojet? Anyway to bypass it with resistors?

On the clutch switch, what is it for? Just for starting? With the computer care that the clutch lever is always in/not in?

Again, thank you for the help.

Only the Cali-version has the O2 sensor.
You will need all the sensors to get it fueling properly but I think it'll run without the MAS.
The O2 sensor needs to be in the top half of the pipe to avoid any condensation getting to it - water will kill the sensor.
The sensor eliminator is tricking the ECU via resistors. If you wanted to try to make something yourself I have no idea what would be involved.
You could simply get a non-Cali US ECU but I can't say for sure if it'll connect to a Cali harness.
The clutch and sidestand switches are just safety devices.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 26 Old 01-16-2012, 1:44 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Also, I have what look like two fuel lines from the fuel rail. Do I assume one is for fuel from the pump, and the other a return?

That is correct.
Check the fuel pressure regulator once you have fuel pressure as they are known failure items.
What are you using for a fuel pump?

post #7 of 26 Old 01-16-2012, 2:05 AM Thread Starter

That's my next question...I guess I need a pump that supplies ~45 psi?
I may get some automotive pump and a regulator to bring it down to whatever the stock pump delivered.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-16-2012, 2:09 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's my next question...I guess I need a pump that supplies ~45 psi?
I may get some automotive pump and a regulator to bring it down to whatever the stock pump delivered.

You need 50psi at idle.
I've never been able to find a car pump that makes enough pressure for the bikes. It may still work though as I've never tried one.
Best bet would be to put a 1000RR pump in the base of whatever you're using for the fuel tank.

post #9 of 26 Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I've been given some options like Bosch or aeromotive pumps and regulators. Kind of on the $$$ side so I'm still looking for options. I'm going to be using a fuel cell with a plastic bladder surrounded with a metal can. How does the stock or 1000rr pump mount?
post #10 of 26 Old 01-16-2012, 1:38 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I've been given some options like Bosch or aeromotive pumps and regulators. Kind of on the $$$ side so I'm still looking for options. I'm going to be using a fuel cell with a plastic bladder surrounded with a metal can. How does the stock or 1000rr pump mount?

Do those pumps put out 50psi though?
The pumps mount into the base of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
929fuelpump.gif‎  

post #11 of 26 Old 01-16-2012, 5:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Do those pumps put out 50psi though?
The pumps mount into the base of the tank.
yeah...but $$$...I need to do more research though...
JEGS Performance Products 159001 JEGS Inline Fuel Pumps

Aeromotive 13129 Aeromotive Compact EFI Fuel Pressure Regulator

so, facing the fuel rail from the back (headers away), the left fuel hose is in, the one on the right is for return?
post #12 of 26 Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
yeah...but $$$...I need to do more research though...
JEGS Performance Products 159001 JEGS Inline Fuel Pumps

Aeromotive 13129 Aeromotive Compact EFI Fuel Pressure Regulator

so, facing the fuel rail from the back (headers away), the left fuel hose is in, the one on the right is for return?

Good find, but those are not expensive.
$130 for a high-pressure fuel pump is great value.
The right side is the fuel in, the left side is the fuel pressure regulator.

post #13 of 26 Old 01-17-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Good find, but those are not expensive.
$130 for a high-pressure fuel pump is great value.
The right side is the fuel in, the left side is the fuel pressure regulator.
i guess the $ is all relative, lol...i was expecting around $50 if that...I didn't know EFI fuel pumps can get into the $6-$7 hundreds...so i guess i shouldn't complain about $130 ...

thanks on the which side was in/out...so, just to get this all straight. The stock FPR takes ~50 psi from the stock fuel pump which is located inside the tank. to mimick the stock tank/pump, using a fuel cell, and inline fuel pump to draw the fuel out of the cell, then to an inline fuel pressure regulator (with a gauge) to reg it down to ~50 psi, to the stock FPR, correct?

you mention 50 psi at idle...does it increase with RPM?
post #14 of 26 Old 01-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
i guess the $ is all relative, lol...i was expecting around $50 if that...I didn't know EFI fuel pumps can get into the $6-$7 hundreds...so i guess i shouldn't complain about $130 ...

thanks on the which side was in/out...so, just to get this all straight. The stock FPR takes ~50 psi from the stock fuel pump which is located inside the tank. to mimick the stock tank/pump, using a fuel cell, and inline fuel pump to draw the fuel out of the cell, then to an inline fuel pressure regulator (with a gauge) to reg it down to ~50 psi, to the stock FPR, correct?

I don't know actually but I would expect the pressure to vary to suit the needs of the engine. The fuel pressure regulator is vacuum-operated. The pump is submersed in the fuel for cooling and noise supression.
I would set the pressure at 50psi to begin with and if you have fuel starvation problems then look at increasing it. As I said earlier, it may work just fine with a high-pressure car pump as well - I've never tried it myself. Frankly, it just seems so much easier to use the OEM pump that was designed for the job.

post #15 of 26 Old 01-17-2012, 5:42 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:

$130 isn't bad for a performance pump. I'm assuming the 954 manual specifies idle because that's where it is set at. The applications I work on are turbocharged, use an electric fuel pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. We set our F.P. at idle also. The fuel pressure should remain stable as volumn requirements vary. Our fuel pressure remains at 58.5 psi +-2 psi at idle, all the way up to max rpm under load. Sounds like a fun buggy, good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page