929 Fireblade - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 Old 01-21-2012, 1:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-20-2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
929 Fireblade

Hi Guys
I bought an old 929 (2001) with 36 000km's on the clock with the aim of building a track bike.

It feels quite "loose", and not in a good way, so first thing to do would be to sort out the suspension, steering and brakes. Do you have any suggestions regarding the way to go?

Thanks very much
Etienne
etienne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 79 Old 01-21-2012, 1:50 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne View Post
Hi Guys
I bought an old 929 (2001) with 36 000km's on the clock with the aim of building a track bike.

It feels quite "loose", and not in a good way, so first thing to do would be to sort out the suspension, steering and brakes. Do you have any suggestions regarding the way to go?

Thanks very much
Etienne

I would guess you need to inspect the swingarm bearings, shock linkages, shock absorber, steering head bearings, wheel bearings, fork seals and fork bushes for a start. Replace anything that is worn. Be sure to check that the frame, forks, wheels and swingarm are straight. Make sure all connections between the engine, frame and swingarm are intact and correctly tightened.
I would completely strip the brake systems and rebuild them with steel lines on the front.
Basically, everything on a new vehicle is an unknown so you need to bring all the maintenance up to date and thoroughly inspect every component.
Since you're building it for the track I'm guessing you'll be almost completely stripping it for that purpose anyway?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 79 Old 01-21-2012, 2:37 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-20-2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
Re: 929 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I would guess you need to inspect the swingarm bearings, shock linkages, shock absorber, steering head bearings, wheel bearings, fork seals and fork bushes for a start. Replace anything that is worn. Be sure to check that the frame, forks, wheels and swingarm are straight. Make sure all connections between the engine, frame and swingarm are intact and correctly tightened.
I would completely strip the brake systems and rebuild them with steel lines on the front.
Basically, everything on a new vehicle is an unknown so you need to bring all the maintenance up to date and thoroughly inspect every component.
Since you're building it for the track I'm guessing you'll be almost completely stripping it for that purpose anyway?
Hi, thanks very much for the reply. I am a complete newbie as far as bike building is concerned so any information is greatly appreciated!!

Yes, the idea is to strip it and check every thing. The forks definitely need a rebuild or replace, so does the shock. Any suggestions on that? Racetech kit? This bike was not correctly maintained as far as I can tell...

Thanks again
etienne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 79 Old 01-21-2012, 2:45 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne View Post
Hi, thanks very much for the reply. I am a complete newbie as far as bike building is concerned so any information is greatly appreciated!!

Yes, the idea is to strip it and check every thing. The forks definitely need a rebuild or replace, so does the shock. Any suggestions on that? Racetech kit? This bike was not correctly maintained as far as I can tell...

Thanks again

If you don't have the mechanical expertise already, I would strongly suggest you get both the OEM manual and the Haynes manual.
You can revalve both the shock and the forks with RaceTech Gold Valves if you want. I bought the three kits myself but never bothered installing them as the suspension worked just fine from stock.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 79 Old 01-21-2012, 2:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-20-2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
Re: 929 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
If you don't have the mechanical expertise already, I would strongly suggest you get both the OEM manual and the Haynes manual.
You can revalve both the shock and the forks with RaceTech Gold Valves if you want. I bought the three kits myself but never bothered installing them as the suspension worked just fine from stock.
I have ordered both manuals yesterday. Thanks.

I ride a 2011 Blade. BIG difference between the two! The 929 has a Scorpion can fitted. Makes a lot of noise but doesn't pull very hard after 5000 rpm. Might require some engine work as well...
etienne is offline  
post #6 of 79 Old 01-22-2012, 2:57 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-20-2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
Re: 929 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
If you don't have the mechanical expertise already, I would strongly suggest you get both the OEM manual and the Haynes manual.
You can revalve both the shock and the forks with RaceTech Gold Valves if you want. I bought the three kits myself but never bothered installing them as the suspension worked just fine from stock.
I just realised that the OEM manual I bought is a CD version. I would prefer buying the hard copy. Does anybody have any idea where I can get one?
Thanks
etienne is offline  
post #7 of 79 Old 01-22-2012, 3:22 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne View Post
I just realised that the OEM manual I bought is a CD version. I would prefer buying the hard copy. Does anybody have any idea where I can get one?
Thanks

I would expect it to be cheaper to print and bind it yourself.
www.helminc.com
2000-2001 CBR929RR Service Manual - Helm Incorporated

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #8 of 79 Old 01-22-2012, 3:44 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-20-2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
Re: 929 Fireblade

Thanks very much for the information. I think this will be money well spent.
Take care
etienne is offline  
post #9 of 79 Old 01-22-2012, 3:47 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne View Post
Thanks very much for the information. I think this will be money well spent.
Take care

I agree, it is a good investment.
It only costs me around A$30 to print and spiral-bind them with plastic covers at the print shop.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #10 of 79 Old 01-22-2012, 3:48 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-20-2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
Re: 929 Fireblade

Just a thought before I get too deep into this thing. Are there any major changes I should be thinking about? Like for instance, changing to a 954 swingarm (just an example)... What would the ideal final configuration be?
Any thoughts appreciated
etienne is offline  
post #11 of 79 Old 01-22-2012, 3:51 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne View Post
Just a thought before I get too deep into this thing. Are there any major changes I should be thinking about? Like for instance, changing to a 954 swingarm (just an example)... What would the ideal final configuration be?
Any thoughts appreciated

Is this a race bike or just a track bike?
If you're racing it, I'd remove the starter and charging systems but I can't think of anything major that requires replacing.
The 954 throttle bodies are a nice touch.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #12 of 79 Old 01-31-2012, 1:16 PM
 
Join Date: 08-12-2008
Location: CANTERBURY KENT
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12
 
Re: 929 Fireblade

hi there.just turned my 929 into my track slag too.
i replaced old shock with a penske unit and replaced all the bearings and cleaned up the linkages.felt like a new bikeafter.then done the forks with new oil and stiffer springs and made a tremendous effect to the original very spongy and incredibly softly sprung front end.mine pulls very hard from after 6k so i would check your exhaust servo to see if it works fine.theres loads ofthreads on that exact prob on the forum, also do a -1 and plus 2 sprocket conversion with a 520 chain and the bike will be as good if not better than most bikes on track.
just replacing all the junk and putting the race fairings made it feel very light on its feet to me but after all these mods its a joy to ride on track now
KGBBORIS is offline  
post #13 of 79 Old 01-31-2012, 3:37 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-20-2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
Re: 929 Fireblade

Thanks very much for the reply! It kinda reinforces what I was thinking. Glad you mentioned the exhaust servo. I forgot about that but am sure that is at least part ifmy problem. The chain conversion has been on my to do list as well.
The race fairing and screen should arrive tomorrow. Suspension parts have been ordered.
Any thoughts on the brake system?? Mine definitely needs attention...

Thanks again.
etienne is offline  
post #14 of 79 Old 01-31-2012, 4:04 PM
 
Join Date: 08-12-2008
Location: CANTERBURY KENT
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12
 
Re: 929 Fireblade

no probs. nice to see someone else is giving the 929 a chance too.
i think the standard brakes are brilliant and if working properly you wouldnt want for anything more. i would rebuild the calipers and use red rubber grease on the new seals and also as blade racer said fit some stainless braided lines then you will have loads more feel and power. there are lots of pads about too so once they have been re built and some grippy pads put in they should be very very good indeed.
keep us informed and some pics too!ill try find a pic of mine in a bit
KGBBORIS is offline  
post #15 of 79 Old 01-31-2012, 4:10 PM
 
Join Date: 08-12-2008
Location: CANTERBURY KENT
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12
 
Re: 929 Fireblade

thionk its attatched it?
Attached Thumbnails
179.jpg‎  
KGBBORIS is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1996 fireblade top yoke, will it go on a 2001 929 fireblade ahoulding Honda FireBlade 1 10-31-2010 10:27 AM
My First Fireblade?! MrT713 Honda FireBlade 4 02-11-2010 11:10 PM
Old Fireblade to New Fireblade question MT Wallet Honda FireBlade 21 09-19-2009 3:54 AM
Fireblade can ianh54 Honda FireBlade 2 07-03-2008 6:10 PM
2000 CBR 929RR FireBlade. REAL FireBlade. Orlando IRISH MIKE Motorcycles For Sale 1 04-23-2008 8:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome