Girl new to bikes- 929rr problems - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 1:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Girl new to bikes- 929rr problems

Hey everyone I've been browsing through this forum a while now and decided to sign up due to the lack of a helpful community in my neighborhood. I'm new to the street bike scene but definitely know my way around the garage.. Picked up a 2001 929rr a few months back ensuring I'd have plenty of time to prep it for the season. Say on the bike, ride and fell in love and now I'm stuck with a few issues. It has 9k miles nothing special done to it. The sellerdid not neglect to tell me anything because I asked questions but instead he just lied lol.
So like every other sappy 929rr/954 story it was laid down oh the left side. I emmy to change the oil and was removing the fairings and noticed oil leaking. One thing lead to another and I ended up taking it to a heliarch welder. Anyways the one bolt on the bottom right that doesn't feed into anything leaks out the back. I had it done right because the previous owner packed a **** ton of jbweld on the strator cover.
I really would appreciate some opinions on what I should do? Should I leave it alone and just rock it leaking (lol) should I use a filler like jbweld or something else like it, or maybe just drop the whole engine and replace it? If I do a motor swap where are good places to look for the 929/954 engines?

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section! :p anyways thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 2:07 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Girl new to bikes- 929rr problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929Girl View Post
Hey everyone I've been browsing through this forum a while now and decided to sign up due to the lack of a helpful community in my neighborhood. I'm new to the street bike scene but definitely know my way around the garage.. Picked up a 2001 929rr a few months back ensuring I'd have plenty of time to prep it for the season. Say on the bike, ride and fell in love and now I'm stuck with a few issues. It has 9k miles nothing special done to it. The sellerdid not neglect to tell me anything because I asked questions but instead he just lied lol.
So like every other sappy 929rr/954 story it was laid down oh the left side. I emmy to change the oil and was removing the fairings and noticed oil leaking. One thing lead to another and I ended up taking it to a heliarch welder. Anyways the one bolt on the bottom right that doesn't feed into anything leaks out the back. I had it done right because the previous owner packed a **** ton of jbweld on the strator cover.
I really would appreciate some opinions on what I should do? Should I leave it alone and just rock it leaking (lol) should I use a filler like jbweld or something else like it, or maybe just drop the whole engine and replace it? If I do a motor swap where are good places to look for the 929/954 engines?

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section! :p anyways thanks a bunch!

Can you specify exactly which bolt you are referring to?
Attached Thumbnails
929crankcase.gif‎   929statorcover.gif‎  

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 2:21 PM Thread Starter

Well if your looking at the second picture you attached its the one underneath the one with the hook? Lol since theyre all number 4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 2:38 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well if your looking at the second picture you attached its the one underneath the one with the hook? Lol since theyre all number 4.

Did you weld the engine case or just the stator cover?
It's very common on the 929/954 to break the crankcase in a left side fall.
I assume you did replace the gasket?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 2:48 PM Thread Starter

Actual case not the stator cover. Whoever dropped it laid it pretty good. I removed the stator cover when I saw all the jbweld because I wanted to know why it was there. The ear underneath the stator cover was busted and welded back together. So I had a guy go through and clean out all the jbweld and old welds to ensure it was welded right. Ive replaced the gasket and put everything back together. Let it sit for a few days to ensure the gasket adhesive cured and checked on it and it, is leaking through one of the bolts that hold the, stator cover in place.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 3:01 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Actual case not the stator cover. Whoever dropped it laid it pretty good. I removed the stator cover when I saw all the jbweld because I wanted to know why it was there. The ear underneath the stator cover was busted and welded back together. So I had a guy go through and clean out all the jbweld and old welds to ensure it was welded right. Ive replaced the gasket and put everything back together. Let it sit for a few days to ensure the gasket adhesive cured and checked on it and it, is leaking through one of the bolts that hold the, stator cover in place.

Is it leaking through the welds, through the gasket surface or through the bolt hole?
Is the bolt too long perhaps?
You could try an aluminium or copper crush washer on it.

post #7 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 4:07 PM Thread Starter

The bolt is screwed in and if you look underneath the bike up you can see it leaking through the bolt of the back
post #8 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 4:09 PM Thread Starter

Ill try and get a picture when I figure out how to with this site. Anyways have any of you heard of like devcon products? Or should I just use jbweld
post #9 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 4:16 PM

Reputation Power: 17

If the case crack migrated into the bore for the bolt, you may try putting thread sealer on the bolt threads themselves before installing the bolt. That may seal it up.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 4:20 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Ill try and get a picture when I figure out how to with this site. Anyways have any of you heard of like devcon products? Or should I just use jbweld
Before deciding on a solution you need to find the exact cause. Could be a number of reasons i.e leaking through the fix, gasket mating surfaces not perfectly flat etc. Clean it up and then take a pic of the area just as the oil starts to show.

Simon
post #11 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 4:59 PM Thread Starter

here is a picture of what it looks like liking directly at the bottom of the case. This is after I installed anew gasket and cleaned it off. This picture shows where its leaking (mind you I have not put any oil in it yet so the leaking is minimal at this point).

Last edited by 929Girl; 01-22-2012 at 5:04 PM.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 9:11 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:

I use Devcon stuff for porting - good stuff, but not cheap.

post #13 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 9:17 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:

here is a picture of what it looks like liking directly at the bottom of the case. This is after I installed anew gasket and cleaned it off. This picture shows where its leaking (mind you I have not put any oil in it yet so the leaking is minimal at this point).
It's leaking without any oil in it?

post #14 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Its leftover residue.
That is pretty typical when changing oil in any type of engine. Unless you brake clean the **** out of it and run an air compressor through everything ....
theres my contribution to tonights evening of sarcasm.

Anyways made sure everything was flat where you mount the stator cover. so I went ahead ands tilted the bike over and cleaned the surface and the hole with brake clean then used a teflon heat sealant over the threads on that one bolt. Ill let it sit over night. Tomorrow after work I will fill her up with new oil and run her and see where/if it leaks... Thanks for everyone that replied ill keepyou posted
post #15 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Its leftover residue.
That is pretty typical when changing oil in any type of engine. Unless you brake clean the **** out of it and run an air compressor through everything ....
theres my contribution to tonights evening of sarcasm.

Anyways made sure everything was flat where you mount the stator cover. so I went ahead ands tilted the bike over and cleaned the surface and the hole with brake clean then used a teflon heat sealant over the threads on that one bolt. Ill let it sit over night. Tomorrow after work I will fill her up with new oil and run her and see where/if it leaks... Thanks for everyone that replied ill keepyou posted

I didn't mean no oil at all :-)
You said "I have not put any oil in it yet" so there shouldn't be any oil in the stator cover and I assume you haven't run the engine without oil either so it shouldn't be leaking.
So where is the "leaking" oil coming from to be able to come out of that bolt hole?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page