929 Instrument panel - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-23-2012, 5:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

929 Instrument panel

I was having trouble setting the clock on my 2001 929 Blade, at first I just thought it's because they are a pain to get sorted, but then I realised that the left button wasn't doing anything at all, instead of changing between A and B trip options.

So I took off the instrument panel and opened it up to have a look. It turns out that a bit of water must have seeped in and the left micro switch had corroded at the join with the copper tracks on the PCB. After cleaning off what was left of the soilder etc, I found that the corrosion had spread a little around to a couple of the components near to the switch too (from what I can tell from the markings on the board a small resistor and a capacitor). Now looking more closely (and comparing to the wiring on teh working right switch) the components that were damaged all appear to be just part of the left switch part of the board, there is no other loss of function etc, just the annoiance of not being able to use the trip and not being able to set the clock.

Now I was hoping that someone might have a circuit diagram of the PCM so I can rebuild the left switch (we have a nice little electronics workshop at work so I can get in there on a lunch time and repair it ). But because of the corrosion etc I can't quite figure out where all the track should be.

Any help appriciated. Failing a diagram a broken one I could have to go from would also be an option if anyone has one about to go in the bin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 3:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: 929 Instrument panel

I'm guessing no one has a circuit diagram of this then One last thing that might be of help is a high res pic of a complete board., should someone be taking the instruments appart.
Cheers Adam

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein
post #3 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 1:28 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Unplug your speedo at noon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-11-2012, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

really? setting the clock is like taking candy from a baby. firts put your index finger on the left side button then with your pulgar finger on the right side button try pushing the left button and right button ALMOST at the same time, its kinda tricky takes a few time to get it done. its like "one, two" kinda thing
post #5 of 7 Old 03-12-2012, 1:04 PM Thread Starter

No, the actual problem is that there has been a small water ingress down the side of the left button causing corrosion around the contacts on the PCB for the left button making it in-operable. As a result I cannot set the clock because the button does not work., same for resetting the trip and selecting trip A or B. The damage to the PCB tracks is such that I cannot follow where the original connections went and so am looing for a spare to copy from or a circuit diagram to follow so that I can repair it with a new button wired into the appropriate sections. Not worth me spending 100+ on a new instrument cluster for the sake of the clock and trip meter but worth spending the time fixing it if I can get the info I need.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein
post #6 of 7 Old 03-12-2012, 9:42 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I had the same problem, bought this gauge on eBay, and tried to install white LEDs but I ruined the LCD trying to take it off. It was much easier on my car with a smaller LCD.

If these images don't help you can have the gauge for free.99 plus shipping. Keep in mind the large LCD and mileage display are cracked and no good.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 8:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jonhnny, that exactly what I was after. With a bit of luck I should be able to rewire the section I have corroded on mine and get the button working again It was the location and order of R152, R155 and R202 that was my concern. With your photo I can see their order now and compare to R154 and R151 on the other button set to get values for replacements.

Hopefully I can update some sucess in a week or two depending when I get time to do the repair.

Thanks again. Adam

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page