RRW Fireblade, my take.... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 449 Old 01-24-2012, 5:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

RRW Fireblade, my take....

Well not posted much as not had much to say but have been busy behind the goals.
As I said in my welcome post I am replacing the seat unit on my 'blade with one from a late R1, never having had much to do with Yamaha's I cannot believe how many bloody variations there are for the latter half of last decade...
So if anybody wants a fairing or 2 I have a few now but still not the one that suits the bloody subframe i've got, lol.
So like all good mods it usually starts somewhere else as you think whilst I do that I may as well do x,y,z...
So as I am doing the rear cans, I thought why not start at the front...

So a few late nights after work, we have this

Stainless flanges and Inconnel tube, 36mm id with a 37mm od. Super light and will improve flow a little. Which has kept me busy for a couple of nights hahaha.
So tonight I started work on the collector

Swaged to suit the od and we have 4 made...

and then ran out of time as had to come home for food as had been a long day...

Although whilst having a spare 5 minutes the other day I did have time to start work on my paddock stand

Basic frame, one will be for the rear, one will be for the front.
Annoyingly no matter how I orientated it on the bending machine I couldn't get both upsweeps without it clashing the machine, so one cut and weld later we ended up with this...

as it needs something to stop it pivoting forward some laser cut brackets that I will weld on once I have turned a spacer to sit between them and turned some delrin wheels.

but the brackets are here

That's it for now... Comments welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 449 Old 01-24-2012, 5:25 PM Thread Starter

Re: RRW Fireblade, my take....

oh nearly forgot replaced the levers also as the front brake light switch had gone so whilst in there put some shorter and black lever on...

Very impressed with them, nicely made and do what they say on the tin

and fitted

and yes I know my bike is dirty, it used every day, regardless of weather
post #3 of 449 Old 01-25-2012, 7:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Nice that you are able to fab stuff yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 449 Old 01-25-2012, 9:24 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Those equal length headers? Nice! I hope you can get to the oil filter with those on there. I know my Akra full system has bends in the middle two pipes so I can reach in and get a hold of the oil filter.
post #5 of 449 Old 01-25-2012, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

Looking good!! will be watching this one with interest

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #6 of 449 Old 01-25-2012, 1:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrman View Post
Those equal length headers? Nice! I hope you can get to the oil filter with those on there. I know my Akra full system has bends in the middle two pipes so I can reach in and get a hold of the oil filter.
You're supposed to change the oil filter? Next you'll tell me I have to change the oil as well???

lol

Oil filter is not an issue and has been allowed clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r15suk
Nice that you are able to fab stuff yourself!
Thanks, yeah it has it's uses especially when I can't stand paying someone else to do a half assed job..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampchops
Looking good!! will be watching this one with interest
Cheers buddy, it will be a slow ish sort of progress as my bike is a daily ride, but when I have all the parts together for the rear conversion I'll do that over 1 weekend so I can still get to work on Monday morning, lol and then I have the inconvenience of having to do my paying job as well which doesn't leave a lot of time for the fun stuff.
I admit I had borrowed a few ideas of yours and others bikes, I don't think I am doing anything new or groundbreaking yet, but just my versions of it all and hopefully may inspire others to have a go???
post #7 of 449 Old 01-27-2012, 4:05 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Hello, i have a 98 blade rrw and i would like to put a different tail unit on it. Maybe an R1 or newer Blade one. Can anyone help ? what can i fit ? and how easy would this be ?
post #8 of 449 Old 01-28-2012, 4:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6580JOJO View Post
Hello, i have a 98 blade rrw and i would like to put a different tail unit on it. Maybe an R1 or newer Blade one. Can anyone help ? what can i fit ? and how easy would this be ?
Do what I did, the search button is your friend, there are enough posts here on the forum where people have done it. Failing that find a shop that will do it for you but it is bad form to post a question like this in someones project thread.
post #9 of 449 Old 01-28-2012, 2:44 PM Thread Starter

Well if nothing else at least I got a chance to finish the paddock stand after last nights issues... but like any negative there is always a positive as whilst the engine oil is drained for the stator removal it gives me a chance to refinish the engine covers (pics to follow)

and a close up of the wheels, sadly only had white delrin available, wanted but black but that meant buying some and id something is free then it's the perfect colour

Just need to clean off the marker pen from the alignment lines and I'll finally be happy with it.

Now on to measure up for the front one, got the basic frame already from when i made the rear but need to tweak and adapt so that it works as an under the yoke design.
post #10 of 449 Old 01-28-2012, 2:55 PM

looking good there mate, are you anywhere near Leicester? could do with your fabricating skills to make a link pipe for my R1 cans to rrw headers!

project whenever!
post #11 of 449 Old 01-28-2012, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89forever View Post
Do what I did, the search button is your friend, there are enough posts here on the forum where people have done it. Failing that find a shop that will do it for you but it is bad form to post a question like this in someones project thread.
Thanks for the answer, & sorry for posting the question on this threat, i have just signed into this forum so iam new to this.
post #12 of 449 Old 01-28-2012, 4:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive1286 View Post
looking good there mate, are you anywhere near Leicester? could do with your fabricating skills to make a link pipe for my R1 cans to rrw headers!

project whenever!
thanks...

what version of R1? looks 5VY??? I am using a 5VY also but with 2009 Can's for the same conversion...
Sadly I live in Norwich so nowhere near Leicester and am using different headers so I don't think what I make will work for you but happy to help if I can???
Just off to view your project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6580JOJO
Thanks for the answer, & sorry for posting the question on this threat, i have just signed into this forum so iam new to this.
No worries, we all have to start somewhere... and if I or others can be of any help, just ask
post #13 of 449 Old 01-28-2012, 6:22 PM

That padock stand looks amazing well done! Going to be good this I can tell

My 900RR Winter Project
post #14 of 449 Old 02-04-2012, 6:34 AM Thread Starter

Right after last weeks stator/rectifier failures I have spent the week getting those sorted and stripping both engine covers stripped of their peeling chrome and bead blasted and repainted in stain black, why Honda chose to chrome the bloody bolts also is beyond me, so yep replaced those, for now I have just chosen to use a stainless dome head bolt and painted them a dark grey (don't do shiny remember).

Stator has been rewound, the only grumble there is that they haven't replaced the main lead and plug, which i did ask for, it hasn't failed but you can see heat has been present, so I will buy a new lead set and replace accordingly, but not today.

Rectifier has been upgraded, original for a RRW is a 633-12 and after hunting around discovered that there is an upgrade and is listed as a 639-12, it looks more like a heat sink and should have far better heat dissipation, but time will tell how long it lasts. Original is in the background.

and a sequence of the covers

nasty peeling chrome

fresh from the blasters

and fresh from paint.

Tomorrow is install day, so more pics to follow then and will be the first time I use my paddock stand on the bike and work on it, so if i don't post tomorrow the stand failed and I am stuck under the bike, so please call the emergency services for me please.
post #15 of 449 Old 02-04-2012, 8:36 AM

looking good!! casing look great have to say, wish I had blasted/ powdered mine as im worried about paint pealing.. I also have that same rec and have had no problems so good move getting that one

My 900RR Winter Project

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page