Looking at these tires for my new blade - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Looking at these tires for my new blade

Hello everyone, I want to get new tires for my blade that I am getting on saturday. I have found these on ebay for a pretty cheap price. They both are Metzeler M1 tires and are the right size to fit my bike 130/70zr16 and the other is 180/55zr17 however the one says sportec and the other says full bore. The tread patterns may be slightly different. Is there any harm in using tires that are slightly different on a bike. If it will be a danger or cause it not to ride right I wont get them. Here is the links to the two that I am looking at. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

If they would not be good to use, I found a matching pair of Metzeler M3 sportec tires that I can buy from two different sellers for a little more. I was just looking at these because they were a little cheaper than the m3's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Looking at these tires for my new blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessHrseman View Post
Hello everyone, I want to get new tires for my blade that I am getting on saturday. I have found these on ebay for a pretty cheap price. They both are Metzeler M1 tires and are the right size to fit my bike 130/70zr16 and the other is 180/55zr17 however the one says sportec and the other says full bore. The tread patterns may be slightly different. Is there any harm in using tires that are slightly different on a bike. If it will be a danger or cause it not to ride right I wont get them. Here is the links to the two that I am looking at. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

If they would not be good to use, I found a matching pair of Metzeler M3 sportec tires that I can buy from two different sellers for a little more. I was just looking at these because they were a little cheaper than the m3's.
Since you are trying to diagnose a handling problem, I would suggest a matched set of tyres.
Generally though, you can mix and match any radials.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Since you are trying to diagnose a handling problem, I would suggest a matched set of tyres.
Generally though, you can mix and match any radials.
Right I was thinking that as well. Well I will throw out the M1's than. After some research I found the following tires that match on ebay but I have to get them from seperate sellers. Can you please tell me if any of these are garbage or not worth getting.

Next in line at the lowest cost of $215.93 for both of them shipped is Bridgestone Ultra High Performance. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Than I found Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers for $250.92 for both shipped.eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Lastly I found a set of Metzeler Sportec M3s that match for $252.86 shipped. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Any recommendations? If you know of anything that is no more than $250 for both could you let me know? Local places around me are mainly dealers and sell the tires for ridiculous prices so it looks like I am stuck on ebay. My local dealer had a Shinko 005 for like $135 but they couldn't get a matching shinko 005 front tire in a size that fit my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

I had a set of the BT16 on mine last year for the summer and they were good tyres, found them a bit slippy in the wet but dont ride in the rain normally got caught out.

I got 3k out of the rear and the front had loads left, I ride quite hard too so didnt think that was tooo bad.

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #5 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Right I was thinking that as well. Well I will throw out the M1's than. After some research I found the following tires that match on ebay but I have to get them from seperate sellers. Can you please tell me if any of these are garbage or not worth getting.

Next in line at the lowest cost of $215.93 for both of them shipped is Bridgestone Ultra High Performance. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Than I found Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers for $250.92 for both shipped.eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Lastly I found a set of Metzeler Sportec M3s that match for $252.86 shipped. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Any recommendations? If you know of anything that is no more than $250 for both could you let me know? Local places around me are mainly dealers and sell the tires for ridiculous prices so it looks like I am stuck on ebay. My local dealer had a Shinko 005 for like $135 but they couldn't get a matching shinko 005 front tire in a size that fit my bike.

I really don't much care what tyres I run but I think the Bridgestones would be a great choice in the 16" front.
Have you checked the bike out for anything mechanical that might be contributing to the handling you spoke of?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
I had a set of the BT16 on mine last year for the summer and they were good tyres, found them a bit slippy in the wet but dont ride in the rain normally got caught out.

I got 3k out of the rear and the front had loads left, I ride quite hard too so didnt think that was tooo bad.
good thats what I wanted to hear. They are the cheapest and I actually found a matching pair of b16's from the same seller. If there is even the slightest chance of rain I won't ride or I will take the katana so I am not worried about wet riding too much
post #7 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I really don't much care what tyres I run but I think the Bridgestones would be a great choice in the 16" front.
Have you checked the bike out for anything mechanical that might be contributing to the handling you spoke of?
No I am going to look at the bike on Saturday and unless I see signs of a bent frame I am going to pick it up. I am just trying to get the tires lined up and ready to order for it since I am anxious to get new tires on there and see if that fixes the issue or not. I am going to have someone sit on the bike with it straight up and down and look at the front and rear tires and make sure they line up. I will also take a flashlight and look down around the steering stem for any bends or damage or cracked paint on the frame. Anything else I can quickly check on it without ripping it apart to look for a bent frame?
post #8 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
No I am going to look at the bike on Saturday and unless I see signs of a bent frame I am going to pick it up. I am just trying to get the tires lined up and ready to order for it since I am anxious to get new tires on there and see if that fixes the issue or not. I am going to have someone sit on the bike with it straight up and down and look at the front and rear tires and make sure they line up. I will also take a flashlight and look down around the steering stem for any bends or damage or cracked paint on the frame. Anything else I can quickly check on it without ripping it apart to look for a bent frame?

Take a tape measure to check wheel alignment by measuring centre of swingarm pivot to centre of axle is the same on both sides.
Make sure the front wheel is perpendicular to the bars and that the bars aren't bent.
Check if the lockstops have been mashed or broken off as that indicates a very hard hit in the front.

post #9 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Take a tape measure to check wheel alignment by measuring centre of swingarm pivot to centre of axle is the same on both sides.
Make sure the front wheel is perpendicular to the bars and that the bars aren't bent.
Check if the lockstops have been mashed or broken off as that indicates a very hard hit in the front.
ok I will do that. Thanks
post #10 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 1:43 PM

$21 you can get a chain alignment tool and $23 you can get a fork alignment toll. Very helpful. Also when I had a 16" front wheel .... Metzler m1 tires are magical.... But when ya can convert to a 17" front wheel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page