So I bought a power commander... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 4:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

So I bought a power commander...

I got it off eBay for about $120 for my cbr 929, and I have the exhaust valve in the half open position, I just want some input on which map I should use with it? Its a PC3 and i've never used one before but right now my bike runs kind of sluggish especially around low rpms. And I can't even figure out how to download any maps from the power commander website so any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 4:57 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Re: So I bought a power commander...

Go to the website. www.powercommander.com
CLick on the left where it says race
DO the model and year
Click where it says install maps
pc3 usb
Then download map
Save under a gangsta ass name so u can find it
and then send map to power commander!
Turn on and checkto see if the map has been sent
post #3 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 5:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

If you're using Windows Vista, that could be why you're having download problems. I could never make them work. As soon as I tried my other laptop with Windows XP they downloaded no problem.
Which map to use? Well, the one that closest matches your bikes setup. What exhaust system are you running?
I think you probably already know this, but if your bike is running amiss, the PC wont cure that. Not at all. All the PC does is smooth out the air/fuel mixture, which almost always needs to be adjusted with any aftermarket exhaust. The download map is a start to accomplish that. But you really should take it to the Dyno and get the custom map made for YOUR bike.
btw, PCIIIr or PCIIIUSB? Have you had a chance to see if a map was already left on it?
Also, stab around on YouTube for help downloading the map to your laptop. Once you get it on your computer, it's pretty straightforward. Unless you have the PCIIIr. They're a little trickier...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 5:36 PM

Reputation Power: 11

I loaded my map flawlessly with a Vista laptop. All you have to do is download the map according to your set up(should be aftermarket set ups because why would you have a PC with a stock bike??). Anyways, you can then download and install the PC software for your PC3 Non-USB. Before starting up the PC software, plug your PC into your laptop with a serial cable. Then turn your bike on(can be accessories or running doesn't matter). Start up the PC software and the gui interface will show you the RPMs your bike is running at. Then load up the map you downloaded and send it to the PC.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestrider View Post
I loaded my map flawlessly with a Vista laptop. All you have to do is download the map according to your set up(should be aftermarket set ups because why would you have a PC with a stock bike??). Anyways, you can then download and install the PC software for your PC3 Non-USB. Before starting up the PC software, plug your PC into your laptop with a serial cable. Then turn your bike on(can be accessories or running doesn't matter). Start up the PC software and the gui interface will show you the RPMs your bike is running at. Then load up the map you downloaded and send it to the PC.
Well, I know why. 3 different FI Hondas I rode had very much improved throttle response in bone stock trim. Donít underestimate how good an improved smoother fuel map will make even a stock bike feel. I've installed them on a 02 VFR, '02 954 and 00 RC51, all in stock form and felt the difference. It was pretty wild on the 954 with a full exhaust and custom Dyno map. No matter what your install a PC on, you should allways try to get to a Dyno. It's really worth the $250 or so you'll spend. She's a new bike! And your gold.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

I haven't gotten the PC yet and it just says PCIII. not usb. but anyways, I downloaded the software and downloaded a certain map that might work, because I have a K and N air filter on but I also have a scorpion exhaust made for a gsxr slipped on. The only real thing I want to cure is the low rpm bog, it isn't as crisp as it used to be with the HTEV working either. So im trying a little experimenting, once it comes in atleast.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 PM

Ahhh, then I think that will work for you. They really help with that snatchy low rpm thing. I keep my cable adjusted tight too.

Edit: Being used, you'll see once you get the unit if it's r or usb. The reason I asked is because there's a slight difference in cables and interface issues. Some older computers may not have the right driver to get a successful download. Hopefully you get the usb, no issues there.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-27-2012, 4:08 PM

Reputation Power: 10

I had my 954 tuned on a dyno with a fully working htev , it made the power delivery crisp and smooth and it would pull like a train from anywhere in the revs,
Anyway the tuner told me to remove the htev caus it was making a little rattle , and would probably make a bit more peak power , and he would run it up on the dyno free of charge to compensate for the loss of the htev,
So I removed the htev completely and blocked it off , so now the exhaust is basicly straight though, after doing this the bike had a big flat spot at 5-6k,
So back to the tuner and he tuned it back to perfection with an extra 1bhp LOL,
Im just giving you an idea that its best to bring it to someone that can tune your bike to perfection , as none of the maps from dynojet will compensate for the way you have the htev locked open,
but if you insist on putting your own map on the bike , if you get a pc111 usb, just download the software and map from dynojet , get a mini usb to usb cable, connect the pc111 to a laptop and turn on ignition, the pc software will open and just send the map to it
post #9 of 20 Old 01-30-2012, 4:42 AM

Reputation Power: 23

+1 to everyone suggesting the dyno tune... if you check out the numbers on the provided map you'll see -30, 20, 16... etc, etc... a bunch of drastically changing numbers. (see pic) those aren't great... get a custom map on a dyno and they smooth out the numbers and get you a smoother power band etc.

Also, you're loss of power might be because your Htev might be stuck half open.

GL!

post #10 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 4:19 PM Thread Starter

My htev is secured half open, I disconnected the wires. Im not too worried about it though it still runs pretty good. It came in today and im going to pick up a serial/usb adapter today at walmart, but as for loading it with the map do I plug it into my computer hit send map to the power commander itself or does it need to be plugged into my bike and sent that way via laptop?
post #11 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinloud11 View Post
My htev is secured half open, I disconnected the wires. Im not too worried about it though it still runs pretty good. It came in today and im going to pick up a serial/usb adapter today at walmart, but as for loading it with the map do I plug it into my computer hit send map to the power commander itself or does it need to be plugged into my bike and sent that way via laptop?
So it's a pcIIIr? You'll probably need to install a driver on your computer to make that serial/usb cable work. So look for a driver installation disc included with your cable. I found mine at Fryís for 18 bucks.
You need power to the PCIII to load a map. So generally that means installed on your bike. It gets power through the bike's harness and grounds to the battery.

I don't know if this will help, but maybe, as our bikes are very similar in this area. Installation tips

I'm pretty interested to hear how you like it once you've got a good map.
Good Luck
post #12 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 6:12 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Im looking at getting one also but in my research have found two different part #'s?? 104-410 & 104-411? Whats the difference? For a 929 also.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-03-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

It got sent to me with the stock bike map on it so I just plugged that in and went, it instantly has better throttle response but otherwise its pretty much the same right now. Im going to email dynojet and see if they have any suggestions or if they can come up with a map for me to try, I also had to order the serial>usb cable online for $4, that should be here by tuesday.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-03-2012, 2:21 PM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182

Garage

Hello livinloud11, I have a 08 CBR10RR with PCIIIUSB, Ignition module, IRC, K&N and Taylormade slipon. All dynotuned. Loads of power, pulls like a train, yada, yada, yada, ect.
Okay, there was a question, "earlier in this thread", of wether or not you need to have this PCIIIr/PCIIIUSB attached to your bike for power. My PCIIIUSB came with a 9volt plug addapter (and USB cable) to power it with a 9v battery, while in the bike and not running the bike, "Key off", to program it via my laptop. I believe this to be the same with your's. In any case, you probably realize there is a need for power to prgram your PCIII. I dont know your full story, and I am not what you might call an expert. However, the nice people at DynoJet will be glad to help you out. Thats what I did to get things right for my install. Its cool to whatch them remote program and check things on your system via your laptop. Thats a secure operation by the way. I am sure thay had a big laugh from my questions and comments later when I got off the phone with them. Then I went and had it Dynotuned for a custom map. Didn't cost me much. Then I had a DynoJet tech online check things over again for me. I thought things where great from the Dynotune. In my case, there was even more improvement, slight but noticable, after letting the DynoJet tech remote play with my system again.
Ask the DynoJet support techs, they will get you right. You should get the Dynotune.> This is most important.

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-03-2012, 2:48 PM

Reputation Power: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidmarklong View Post
Hello livinloud11, I have a 08 CBR10RR with PCIIIUSB, Ignition module, IRC, K&N and Taylormade slipon. All dynotuned. Loads of power, pulls like a train, yada, yada, yada, ect.
Okay, there was a question, "earlier in this thread", of wether or not you need to have this PCIIIr/PCIIIUSB attached to your bike for power. My PCIIIUSB came with a 9volt plug addapter (and USB cable) to power it with a 9v battery, while in the bike and not running the bike, "Key off", to program it via my laptop. I believe this to be the same with your's. In any case, you probably realize there is a need for power to prgram your PCIII. I dont know your full story, and I am not what you might call an expert. However, the nice people at DynoJet will be glad to help you out. Thats what I did to get things right for my install. Its cool to whatch them remote program and check things on your system via your laptop. Thats a secure operation by the way. I am sure thay had a big laugh from my questions and comments later when I got off the phone with them. Then I went and had it Dynotuned for a custom map. Didn't cost me much. Then I had a DynoJet tech online check things over again for me. I thought things where great from the Dynotune. In my case, there was even more improvement, slight but noticable, after letting the DynoJet tech remote play with my system again.
Ask the DynoJet support techs, they will get you right. You should get the Dynotune.> This is most important.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page