Need advice on buying a fireblade, thanks! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 1:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Need advice on buying a fireblade, thanks!

Hey Forum!

I just signed up for this forum to seek advice on a 1994 900rr that ive been striking a deal on the past couple of days.

The price is $2500 OBO and I asked if he would take $2000 and he said yes but the safety check and registration needs to be renewed, also it needs a new front tire to pass the safety check. He said he would have a new tire put on, get a safety check, and pay the registration but then he would stay firm on the $2500 if he did all that.

The bike is is pretty killer, great cosmetic condition, runs excellent, and he gave me a list of just some of the aftermarket parts which include:

(taken word for word from his text message)
Full FCR41 Carbs with flatsliders
ASV upper and lower controls
410 chain & sprocket kit
510 cams with adjustable timing gears
nissin brakes with kevlar brake lines
Full micron Exhaust from the headers to the pipe
and more.

He claims more than $3000 in aftermarket parts, not including the bike and the reason he is selling is cause he has too much toys to spend money on.

Any input on this deal would be appreciated. I dont know about all the aftermarket values and performance, all I know is the bike is really cool and is right around what I wanted to spend on a bike.

I started on a suzuki rm80 dirtbike when I was a kid, learned on a 99 cbr 600 about 10 years ago, and owned a ninja 500. Im not worried about how much balls this thing has cause I know I can handle it, im a responsible adult lol.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
firblade.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 9:50 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Need advice on buying a fireblade, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels214 View Post
Hey Forum!

I just signed up for this forum to seek advice on a 1994 900rr that ive been striking a deal on the past couple of days.

The price is $2500 OBO and I asked if he would take $2000 and he said yes but the safety check and registration needs to be renewed, also it needs a new front tire to pass the safety check. He said he would have a new tire put on, get a safety check, and pay the registration but then he would stay firm on the $2500 if he did all that.

The bike is is pretty killer, great cosmetic condition, runs excellent, and he gave me a list of just some of the aftermarket parts which include:

(taken word for word from his text message)
Full FCR41 Carbs with flatsliders
ASV upper and lower controls
410 chain & sprocket kit
510 cams with adjustable timing gears
nissin brakes with kevlar brake lines
Full micron Exhaust from the headers to the pipe
and more.

He claims more than $3000 in aftermarket parts, not including the bike and the reason he is selling is cause he has too much toys to spend money on.

Any input on this deal would be appreciated. I dont know about all the aftermarket values and performance, all I know is the bike is really cool and is right around what I wanted to spend on a bike.

I started on a suzuki rm80 dirtbike when I was a kid, learned on a 99 cbr 600 about 10 years ago, and owned a ninja 500. Im not worried about how much balls this thing has cause I know I can handle it, im a responsible adult lol.

Thanks everyone!

41mm FCR's seem awfully big for a stock 900 engine, especially for road use.
Have you ridden it?
What are 410 chain and sprockets and 510 cams?
Does he mean he swapped calipers onto it from another bike or did he buy new calipers?
Has it still got the 16" front wheel?
Have you got any pictures of it?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Reputation Power: 176

Smells a bit fishy to me.....be super careful bud, I mean there are some killer deals and some people want to just sell their stuff, but I dunno about this one....
Sounds like a great package, just make sure to go over every little detail.
Good luck, hope the guy is being honest.

I feel the most alive when I am close to death....

'01 Kawasaki ZR7-S (Naomi...Sold)
'07 Suzuki SV650 (Suzy...Sold)
'02 RC51 (Holly...RIP)
'02 CBR954RR (Elektra....Sold)
'11 ZX6R (Fiona...Sold)
'02 RC51 (Eleanor...My Baby)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 1:27 PM Thread Starter

The only picture I have is the one i attached to my original post.

I have not ridden it because I had no time yesterday when I was on that side of the island, but one my closest friends who is a bike and car tech said he just went to see this same bike last week and it is super clean, ballsy, and worth the money hes asking for it.

I dont know exactly what the 410 chain and sprocket or 510 cams are, or how they affect performance.

Yea the 16 inch front wheel still remains, it just needs to be changed to pass safety inspection...according to him.

I found a blue book value online saying this bike in excellent condition is a little under $2200, with no aftermarket parts..thats kind of the reason why I came to you guys for help cause my friend didnt really have time to talk in depth to me about it cause hes moving today and I was only able to meet with him at the auto glass shop for 15 minutes yesterday to say goodbye and hear a few words on this bike.

What should these bikes typically go for in great stock condition? What about great condition with a few typical goodies added to it?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 3:27 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels214 View Post
The only picture I have is the one i attached to my original post.

I have not ridden it because I had no time yesterday when I was on that side of the island, but one my closest friends who is a bike and car tech said he just went to see this same bike last week and it is super clean, ballsy, and worth the money hes asking for it.

I dont know exactly what the 410 chain and sprocket or 510 cams are, or how they affect performance.

Yea the 16 inch front wheel still remains, it just needs to be changed to pass safety inspection...according to him.

I found a blue book value online saying this bike in excellent condition is a little under $2200, with no aftermarket parts..thats kind of the reason why I came to you guys for help cause my friend didnt really have time to talk in depth to me about it cause hes moving today and I was only able to meet with him at the auto glass shop for 15 minutes yesterday to say goodbye and hear a few words on this bike.

What should these bikes typically go for in great stock condition? What about great condition with a few typical goodies added to it?

Based on the confusing information he's provided I would make certain that it does actually have FCR's and a full exhaust system (from that blurry pic the muffler appears to be bolted to the exhaust flange which is very unusual for a full system). Without close-up pictures I don't think anybody is going to be able to determine if the "Nissan brakes" (I assume he means the calipers) are any different to the OEM Nissan calipers it came with.
I doubt you'll want to pull the lid off the engine to confirm if the cams are other than OEM so I would suggest you assume they are original until you see otherwise. If they are aftermarket he should also provide you with documentation detailing their specs so you can tune the engine with them. If it really does have FCR's I strongly recommend test riding it first as you may not want to live with them for daily road use. A member here last year bought a 900RR with them and replaced them with the OEM CV carbs because he couldn't adapt to the FCR's.
The wheel and tyre are two different things.
I couldn't guess what any bike might sell for in your specific part of the world. It is basically worth whatever somebody is happy to pay for it on the day they see it. Typical "goodies" should rarely add any value to the bike unless they happen to be items you specifically wanted to put on it yourself anyway.
I'm no expert on the 900RR but I can't recall seeing that paint scheme before so you may want to inspect it for crash damage and confirm the plastics are OEM rather than Chinese replacements (which are lower quality). Check if the steering lock stops have been mashed for instance.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 4:01 PM Thread Starter

Bladeracer,

Thanks, that was a good reply.

I actually was noticing the same thing about the color scheme because it seems to be only on the 1993 model except the all the logos, besides the one on the gas tank, are not there! So it may just be an aftermarket fairing set. Im not too concerned whether its an oem set or not, but you do bring up a good point about why they needed to be changed - maybe due to damage.

Im not savvy on carb systems...Does this FCR 41mm make it more of a race feel/operation rather than just a daily commuter and cruiser?

I will ask him about these things, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to provide some advice on the matter.

All I really want is a cool bike that will be reliable, can ride to work, and can learn to do my own work on!! Is this too much to ask lol

Mike-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page