charging issues 03 954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

charging issues 03 954

My bike runs great once started sometimes loose lights and gauges than the battery seems to be dead. After jump starting the bike it runs fine again but battery does not charge few days and rides later battery started bike then later was dead again. Changed the battery and after a few days back to the same problem could it be my stator?? I have co corrosion on terminals or loose wires don't want to spend a lot of money for nothing ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 4:11 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: charging issues 03 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbkr View Post
My bike runs great once started sometimes loose lights and gauges than the battery seems to be dead. After jump starting the bike it runs fine again but battery does not charge few days and rides later battery started bike then later was dead again. Changed the battery and after a few days back to the same problem could it be my stator?? I have co corrosion on terminals or loose wires don't want to spend a lot of money for nothing ..

You need a multimeter and a manual to do the tests of the charging system to determine if something has failed.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 4:47 AM

Reputation Power: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
You need a multimeter and a manual to do the tests of the charging system to determine if something has failed.
harbor freight is your friend with this. My multimeter cost me like $25, and it has way more settings than I could ever use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 5:50 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

When I tested the battery at idle and 5000 rpm im only getting around 12.4 volts I have read I should be getting more like 13-15
post #5 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 7:50 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbkr View Post
When I tested the battery at idle and 5000 rpm im only getting around 12.4 volts I have read I should be getting more like 13-15

That's right. You just need to determine whether one of the components has failed or if there is a bad connection.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 3:05 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
That's right. You just need to determine whether one of the components has failed or if there is a bad connection.
It's most likely to be the reg/rect if not a bad connection. This changes the ac voltage from the alternator to dc and then regulates the voltage to be about 14 volts for charging the battery. These have commonly caused problems on many blades in the past.

If its not this then its likely to be the alternator, but not a common fault on 954's.

Cheers
Simon
post #7 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 3:18 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by r15suk View Post
It's most likely to be the reg/rect if not a bad connection. This changes the ac voltage from the alternator to dc and then regulates the voltage to be about 14 volts for charging the battery. These have commonly caused problems on many blades in the past.

If its not this then its likely to be the alternator, but not a common fault on 954's.

Cheers
Simon

Stator failures are very common on the 929, 954 and 1000RR.
On the 900RR I think perhaps the regulators are more common to fail than the stators.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 5:05 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Stator failures are very common on the 929, 954 and 1000RR.
On the 900RR I think perhaps the regulators are more common to fail than the stators.
I never knew that they were common on 954's. I knew about 929's and of course the recall on some of the 1000's. You live and learn
post #9 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 6:11 PM
hfb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Had issue's with my charging system, which was fluctuating between 12.5v to 13.5v. Did all the tests in the manual and all the readings were ok. So did a couple of checks on the reg/rec which were ok. So decided to remove the stator to check it, some of the wires were a little blackened, but continuaty test passed so a little confused. so refitted the stator and started the motorcyle with stator disconnected from the bikes loom and put a 55w bulb across two terminals of the stator and measured the voltage across the bulb in ac and it was'nt kicking out much voltage across two of the phases and would hardley light the bulb up even revving the bike up. so this suggested that 2 of the phases were braking down under load. So replaced the stator and rotor with a modified kit. Problem solved. So the manual tests don't always prove the problem.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 8:18 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfb View Post
Had issue's with my charging system, which was fluctuating between 12.5v to 13.5v. Did all the tests in the manual and all the readings were ok. So did a couple of checks on the reg/rec which were ok. So decided to remove the stator to check it, some of the wires were a little blackened, but continuaty test passed so a little confused. so refitted the stator and started the motorcyle with stator disconnected from the bikes loom and put a 55w bulb across two terminals of the stator and measured the voltage across the bulb in ac and it was'nt kicking out much voltage across two of the phases and would hardley light the bulb up even revving the bike up. so this suggested that 2 of the phases were braking down under load. So replaced the stator and rotor with a modified kit. Problem solved. So the manual tests don't always prove the problem.

The stator was putting out the expected 50-70VAC on all three phases but it wouldn't light the bulb?

post #11 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 6:58 PM
hfb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
The stator was putting out the expected 50-70VAC on all three phases but it wouldn't light the bulb?
sorry BR did'nt explain myself to well, my haynes manual does'nt explain how to check the alternator output in Ac volts. The spec just says 421 [email protected] 5000rpm i am guessing there is a formula to work out ac volts into watts but the manual does'nt explain this. so the ac voltage on two of the phases were very low hence the dim bulb but had no VAC figures to go by.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-06-2012, 5:41 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Mostly;
  • Checking the resistances, between each of the phases are identical
  • Checking that there is no resistance to the body of the bike
  • as well as noting the output voltages for each phase are between 30 - 70 v and also identical
Will determine of the generator is good or not.

However.... the internal resistances are very low and maybe difficult to compare accurately and occasionally breakdown might only occur on load. So checking the output with a bulb or similar is a good idea, providing you donít gun the motor too much as that will over load the bulb!

Unfortunately these generators are incredible unreliable L someone said on here somewhere that the CBVR1000RR last only about 20K miles.
My 07 has done 18K and has just fryed

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
charging issues , stator problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page