curiousity, what causes no spark? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 02-01-2012, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Send a message via AIM to NintendoKD Send a message via Skype™ to NintendoKD
curiousity, what causes no spark?

What would cause no spark and no codes? New battery, new plugs, new ECU, new wiring harness, I'll ask the shop but I know that there is more to it. Desert Cycles in 29 palms, CA. These guys are really stumped, have called Honda and still cannot figure it out. Funny thing, my buddy Mike has the same bike year make model, tried swapping components "with his permission, of course" his bike runs, mine won't. I will gather all other amplifying information tomorrow to continue this. I wonder if there is a failed failsafe switch that is shorted that could cause a "no spark" condition, fuel is present, and flows and pressurizes, air is ....... well duh! air, it is certainly present, and spark is the only thing missing, I witnessed this firsthand before giving it up to the shop. This bike was purchased from another owner who rode her until she wouldn't start, who also took it to a Honda shop and they couldn't figure it out. I bought it from him, thinking this should be relatively easy to fix. Are the keys coded, or do they have a chip? I know cars, this was supposed to be an easy flip, buy cheap, fix easy, sell high project, but is obviously much more than that.

thanks for any and all help,

Sgt Kevin A. Davies, USMC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-01-2012, 1:31 AM

Reputation Power: 78

Re: curiousity, what causes no spark?

1. Kickstand switch
2. Tip-over sensor

Will both kill spark, but certainly seems to easy of a fix....
post #3 of 28 Old 02-01-2012, 2:21 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoKD View Post
What would cause no spark and no codes? New battery, new plugs, new ECU, new wiring harness, I'll ask the shop but I know that there is more to it. Desert Cycles in 29 palms, CA. These guys are really stumped, have called Honda and still cannot figure it out. Funny thing, my buddy Mike has the same bike year make model, tried swapping components "with his permission, of course" his bike runs, mine won't. I will gather all other amplifying information tomorrow to continue this. I wonder if there is a failed failsafe switch that is shorted that could cause a "no spark" condition, fuel is present, and flows and pressurizes, air is ....... well duh! air, it is certainly present, and spark is the only thing missing, I witnessed this firsthand before giving it up to the shop. This bike was purchased from another owner who rode her until she wouldn't start, who also took it to a Honda shop and they couldn't figure it out. I bought it from him, thinking this should be relatively easy to fix. Are the keys coded, or do they have a chip? I know cars, this was supposed to be an easy flip, buy cheap, fix easy, sell high project, but is obviously much more than that.

thanks for any and all help,

Sgt Kevin A. Davies, USMC

The most likely reason for no spark is because one of the kill switches is preventing it. The most common in my experience is the kill switch fails because owners like to use it regularly to kill the engine instead of using the ignition switch.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 02-01-2012, 3:44 AM

Reputation Power: 23

This happend to my 929 when I made my custom undertail... I tripple checked the fuses, main breaker connections, the plug ins to the ECU (two of them), the plug ins on the fuel injectors (if you don't hear that 3 second whine of the fuel pump when you first turn the key)....

What it turned out to be was just one of the little wires on the harness going to the ECU was frayed... the bike would intermittently start and then die... still would power up and everything like your bike....

I'd suggest taking the front seat off, propping up the back of the tank good, and looking over the wire harness and the terminals themselves going to the ECU.

Mice like to live in that area on top of the starter (where the ECU harness is)... warm, room for nesting, and fun wires to chew on >

post #5 of 28 Old 02-01-2012, 8:06 AM Thread Starter

cool, I'll have a lookie see, thanks so far
post #6 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 9:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I know it has been a while since I first posted this one, but I have made some progress. I will give you the down-and-dirty on everything that has transpired. I bought the bike from previous owner, guy says he took it to an authorized Honda dealership to have the work done. I obviously don't believe him, and buy the bike anyway, the only problem he says it has is no-spark. I get it home, and replace the WAAAAAYYY dead battery, with a brand new high performance one. I checked all of the regular stuff, stator, safety switches, etc. I have long since forgotten if there were any codes when I ran the diagnostic, but I do not remember any, so I do not suppose it is of significance. it had new good fuel, and the injectors were spraying at a good pattern, but it would not start. Bike turns over like a champ, sounds good, but no spark. I pulled the plugs and verified. I gave up and sent it to a local shop "he should chime in soon and add his findings" I bought a brand new wiring harness, cpu, so that he could see if that were the problem. I even got my buddy Mike "a member here" to bring in his bike as a guinea pig. components were swapped from one bike to the next with no change to either. his bike would still run and mine still wouldn't. same year make and model, and both were Cali bikes "I understand there are some differences" any input or help from experts of the community would be awesome. Sufficed to say I believe the owners testimony now of an expert not being able to find the problem. I would like to review the wiring schematic so I can see if I can identify the problem at a common connection or something.
post #7 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ok, so I know it has been a while since I first posted this one, but I have made some progress. I will give you the down-and-dirty on everything that has transpired. I bought the bike from previous owner, guy says he took it to an authorized Honda dealership to have the work done. I obviously don't believe him, and buy the bike anyway, the only problem he says it has is no-spark. I get it home, and replace the WAAAAAYYY dead battery, with a brand new high performance one. I checked all of the regular stuff, stator, safety switches, etc. I have long since forgotten if there were any codes when I ran the diagnostic, but I do not remember any, so I do not suppose it is of significance. it had new good fuel, and the injectors were spraying at a good pattern, but it would not start. Bike turns over like a champ, sounds good, but no spark. I pulled the plugs and verified. I gave up and sent it to a local shop "he should chime in soon and add his findings" I bought a brand new wiring harness, cpu, so that he could see if that were the problem. I even got my buddy Mike "a member here" to bring in his bike as a guinea pig. components were swapped from one bike to the next with no change to either. his bike would still run and mine still wouldn't. same year make and model, and both were Cali bikes "I understand there are some differences" any input or help from experts of the community would be awesome. Sufficed to say I believe the owners testimony now of an expert not being able to find the problem. I would like to review the wiring schematic so I can see if I can identify the problem at a common connection or something.

You checked the bank angle sensor and the kill switch?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

correctamundo dude. I should have specified when I said safety switches.
post #9 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
correctamundo dude. I should have specified when I said safety switches.

Okay :-)
Did you check the ignition switch, in particular the diode?

post #10 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 4:12 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
The most likely reason for no spark is because one of the kill switches is preventing it. The most common in my experience is the kill switch fails because owners like to use it regularly to kill the engine instead of using the ignition switch.
Really? I have used the engine cutoff switch on all my bikes for the past 10 years and never had one fail. I guess I am just lucky.
post #11 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 4:16 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrman View Post
Really? I have used the engine cutoff switch on all my bikes for the past 10 years and never had one fail. I guess I am just lucky.

Assuming you actually do a reasonable mileage on them I would consider yourself fairly lucky then.
Why do you use it?

post #12 of 28 Old 06-01-2012, 2:18 AM Thread Starter

I do not understand, how do you test the ignition switch without testing the diode?
post #13 of 28 Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

did I test it wrong?
post #14 of 28 Old 06-02-2012, 1:46 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
did I test it wrong?

What did you test and how did you test it?
You do have a manual I assume?

post #15 of 28 Old 06-02-2012, 1:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
What did you test and how did you test it?
You do have a manual I assume?
first thing I got from here, was a manual. I have to be honest, it has been so long, I do not remember. I was hoping my mechanic would have chimed in by now. He has an account, and is a member, I'll have to shoot him another e-mail, or call him. Better yet, lemme see if I can jog my memory by looking back through the manual.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page