speedo only reads roughly 40-50% of actual speed - STOCK BIKE - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-30-2005
Location: neverland
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
   
speedo only reads roughly 40-50% of actual speed - STOCK BIKE

03 954, speedo works perfectly, but only registers 40-50% actual speed

bike is completely stock

wondering if its a known issue with the cluster, or the sensor.

i know it only takes a second to swap the sensor, but the weather is shitty and i dont feel like getting the bike up to 100 in my neighborhood right now to test it out.

i also have another cluster, but i dont want to swap it if i dont have to. time consuming pita.
9uno9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: speedo only reads roughly 40-50% of actual speed - STOCK BIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9uno9 View Post
03 954, speedo works perfectly, but only registers 40-50% actual speed

bike is completely stock

wondering if its a known issue with the cluster, or the sensor.

i know it only takes a second to swap the sensor, but the weather is shitty and i dont feel like getting the bike up to 100 in my neighborhood right now to test it out.

i also have another cluster, but i dont want to swap it if i dont have to. time consuming pita.

This has been a problem since you've owned the bike?
Has it been switched from kph to mph perhaps?
If you have another cluster I would definately try it as it's a very simple way to rule it out.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 1:11 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-30-2005
Location: neverland
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
   
Re: speedo only reads roughly 40-50% of actual speed - STOCK BIKE

it is not kph thing because i have toggled it back and forth many times, know how to do it.

yup, bought the bike this way

no fault codes, and the speedo is consistent, no flickering or anything fishy. bike was babied.

i also only have good tested 929 sensors on hand. look identical in pics, but different part numbers. i dont want to have to remove the entire upper if i dont have to.
9uno9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 1:33 PM
 
Join Date: 01-08-2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 7,455
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198
                     
Re: speedo only reads roughly 40-50% of actual speed - STOCK BIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9uno9 View Post
it is not kph thing because i have toggled it back and forth many times, know how to do it.

yup, bought the bike this way

no fault codes, and the speedo is consistent, no flickering or anything fishy. bike was babied.

i also only have good tested 929 sensors on hand. look identical in pics, but different part numbers. i dont want to have to remove the entire upper if i dont have to.
If you want I'll come and remove it for you...

I've had my front fairing off too many times i guess, cause it's no big deal. 10 minutes tops. 20 minutes combined off and on. Granted it's a rc51 but still very similiar to your 954.
If you have a known good instument cluster, than that seems like the next easiest and cheapest thing to do. C'mon man, slam a couple cups of coffee, and head for the toolbox.
Not that it matters all that much, but think of all the extra miles being stacked up on your odometer.
Good luck, hope it's just a simple instrument swap since you already have one.
jondog9 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 1:59 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-30-2005
Location: neverland
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
   
Re: speedo only reads roughly 40-50% of actual speed - STOCK BIKE

i have done it more times than i can count (not on this bike). doesnt mean i want to waste my time doing it if i can trouble shoot it from my computer while im doin other stuff

i am opting for letting the next owner not care about it enough to fix it as well. hahahahahah

it only seems to do it above 30-40 mph

supposed to be nice over the next few days. over the weekend ill swap out the sensor and see.

it switches back and forth between kmp and mph with no issue, and the speed it registers when it changes is correlationally ? accurate

Last edited by 9uno9; 02-02-2012 at 2:13 PM.
9uno9 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 2:47 PM
 
Join Date: 01-08-2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 7,455
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198
                     
Re: speedo only reads roughly 40-50% of actual speed - STOCK BIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9uno9 View Post
i have done it more times than i can count (not on this bike). doesnt mean i want to waste my time doing it if i can trouble shoot it from my computer while im doin other stuff

i am opting for letting the next owner not care about it enough to fix it as well. hahahahahah

it only seems to do it above 30-40 mph

supposed to be nice over the next few days. over the weekend ill swap out the sensor and see.

it switches back and forth between kmp and mph with no issue, and the speed it registers when it changes is correlationally ? accurate
Gotcha. Multi-tasking! Smart.
jondog9 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 3:03 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-30-2005
Location: neverland
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
   
Re: speedo only reads roughly 40-50% of actual speed - STOCK BIKE

smrt
9uno9 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 3:07 PM
 
Join Date: 09-10-2010
Location: Columbus, OHIO
Age: 27
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46
                     
Re: speedo only reads roughly 40-50% of actual speed - STOCK BIKE

not much you can do if the weather isn't cooperating. but if it's not the sensor id say speedohealer unless your just tryin to flip the bike for some cash
noahb is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC51 Actual Top Speed jjj0923 Honda RC51 181 12-18-2010 3:49 PM
Theoretical versus actual speed Steven Tanner Introductions 5 12-31-2009 11:43 AM
Indicated speed less or more than actual jackhammer Honda FireBlade 4 12-15-2006 8:42 PM
'03 954 actual top speed w/15 t f sprocket? Hellfire666 Honda FireBlade 5 06-03-2004 1:47 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome