Grease - problem? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-05-2012, 2:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Grease - problem?

Hi Guys
My 2011 Blade has just had its 1000km service last week. I went for a quick blast this morning and afterwards saw some grease on the gear pedal. Any thoughts where this could be coming from? I could not identify the source. Should I be concerned?
Thanks
Etienne
Attached Thumbnails
grease.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-05-2012, 2:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98

Re: Grease - problem?

it looks like it could be fling from the chain, I have had that from chain products better never that colour
post #3 of 11 Old 02-05-2012, 3:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman1196 View Post
it looks like it could be fling from the chain, I have had that from chain products better never that colour
Thanks for your reply. Chain related was my first guess. I thought they used wax on chains these days though. Was I mistaken?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-05-2012, 3:35 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne View Post
Thanks for your reply. Chain related was my first guess. I thought they used wax on chains these days though. Was I mistaken?
There are quite a few different types of chain lube available so your dealer may not have used a wax type.

Cheers
Simon
post #5 of 11 Old 02-05-2012, 9:48 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Hi Guys
My 2011 Blade has just had its 1000km service last week. I went for a quick blast this morning and afterwards saw some grease on the gear pedal. Any thoughts where this could be coming from? I could not identify the source. Should I be concerned?
Thanks
Etienne

Chain lube.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 11 Old 02-05-2012, 9:49 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:

You should be lubing the chain regularly yourself.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 11 Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I guess what threw me off was the fact that the dealer specifically mentioned that they use a wax based product in order to prevent the mess that grease based products cause.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks guys. I guess what threw me off was the fact that the dealer specifically mentioned that they use a wax based product in order to prevent the mess that grease based products cause.

But what have you been lubing it with for the first 1000km?
As long as you do it properly the mess is not too bad.
Lube it when the chain is warm and then let it sit for fifteen minutes for the solvent to evaporate before you ride.
If the chain is dirty, clean it before you lube it.

post #9 of 11 Old 02-06-2012, 1:30 PM Thread Starter

I have been using Muc Off, dry PTFE lube. Any other suggestions?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-06-2012, 1:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Seems to me that if it is indeed chain lube, you would HAVE to see more similiar signs in the area... The chain couldn't just deposit it on the shift lever and no-where else, right?
I still use syn lube, not wax or teflon. Thanks Bladeracer for explaining the proper way to apply it, so as to minimize fling-off. The only thing I would add is what you mentioned last time, about applying the lube to the inside of the chain, so as it spins, the lube is being forced towards the center of the chain. If you spray the lube on the outside of the chain, it just flings off when the chain is spinning.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-06-2012, 2:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Seems to me that if it is indeed chain lube, you would HAVE to see more similiar signs in the area... The chain couldn't just deposit it on the shift lever and no-where else, right?
I still use syn lube, not wax or teflon. Thanks Bladeracer for explaining the proper way to apply it, so as to minimize fling-off. The only thing I would add is what you mentioned last time, about applying the lube to the inside of the chain, so as it spins, the lube is being forced towards the center of the chain. If you spray the lube on the outside of the chain, it just flings off when the chain is spinning.
Hmm...valid point. I'll have to get the bike up on the stand and check. This was grease, not oil. I don't want niggling concerns in the back of my mind while riding...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page