929rr Misfire on 2 and 3 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-06-2012, 9:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929rr Misfire on 2 and 3

The idle is a little rough, definitely missing a little though. Revving under no load again there is a bit of a miss once you hit 4k+. Under load, it works fine under 2k, but anything over 2k under heavy load and cylinders 2 and 3 quit firing. Confirmed by pulling plugs, 2 and 3 were fouled. Swapped 3 and 4 and ran for a little, when I pulled them 3 was now fouled and 4 was cleaned, so it must be a fuel problem I'm assuming.

I know there's the problem with the FPR going bad that makes 1 and 4 misfire, is there any known problems like that with 2 and 3?

I did sit outside under a tarp for about 6 months. Fuel was drained and fresh though. My thought is plugged injectors. I'm going to pull the airbox off tommorow and take a look down the throttle bodies to see if it's spraying ok. Also going to get new plugs, they seem ok but they should be replaced.

Other notes: airbox flapper has been removed, htev is wired to the middle position.

Any ideas or common problems I should look for before digging into this? Also reccomendations for plugs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 929rr Misfire on 2 and 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobinson View Post
The idle is a little rough, definitely missing a little though. Revving under no load again there is a bit of a miss once you hit 4k+. Under load, it works fine under 2k, but anything over 2k under heavy load and cylinders 2 and 3 quit firing. Confirmed by pulling plugs, 2 and 3 were fouled. Swapped 3 and 4 and ran for a little, when I pulled them 3 was now fouled and 4 was cleaned, so it must be a fuel problem I'm assuming.

I know there's the problem with the FPR going bad that makes 1 and 4 misfire, is there any known problems like that with 2 and 3?

I did sit outside under a tarp for about 6 months. Fuel was drained and fresh though. My thought is plugged injectors. I'm going to pull the airbox off tommorow and take a look down the throttle bodies to see if it's spraying ok. Also going to get new plugs, they seem ok but they should be replaced.

Other notes: airbox flapper has been removed, htev is wired to the middle position.

Any ideas or common problems I should look for before digging into this? Also reccomendations for plugs?

How much mileage is on the plugs?
Try spraying starter fluid into the intakes, if the miss settles down then you know the problem is fuel supply.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 13 Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
How much mileage is on the plugs?
No idea, that's why I'm going to replace them. It hasn't been driven since I got it 6 months ago or so. I had it running, and it seemed to run better before I put it away. It needed some work I didn't have time to do, so it only ran for 15 min or so before it got shoved aside.

Quote:
Try spraying starter fluid into the intakes, if the miss settles down then you know the problem is fuel supply.
Good idea, I'll give that a go too and see what happens. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-08-2012, 7:53 PM Thread Starter

So, last night I pulled the injectors out just because. Took a look at them, decided I didn't want to screw with them just yet. While I was there, swapped 1 for 2 and 3 for 4. Also put new plugs in (NGK CR9EHIX-9). Same deal. Also swapped some coils around, same still.

So that seems to me to rule out injectors, plugs and coils. What else could it be?!

So, 2 things if anyone knows

1) Is there any way to put a gauge on these things to check the fuel pressure? I've seen cars do some funny things with low fuel pressure, nothing like this really though.

2) The charging system isn't hooked up. The battery is fully charged though. I can't see why it would make a difference though, seems like it would run or not run with not enough juice.

Thoughts?
post #5 of 13 Old 02-10-2012, 4:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

1. Since ur plugs r getting fouled up, it seems more of an electrical issue than a fuel issue. There's no combustion hence y ur plugs keep getting fouled up so that indicates fuel is getting to th chambers at least.

2. Since ur charging system isn't hooked up, ur regulator isn't getting power either which may cause it to miss fire. I kno cuz it happened to one of mine. I ran th bike without a rectifier and noticed a significance in backfire. Once i replaced it it went away.

3. From what I understand, if th fpr went bad then th bike would constantly b flooding.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazie929 View Post
2. Since ur charging system isn't hooked up, ur regulator isn't getting power either which may cause it to miss fire. I kno cuz it happened to one of mine. I ran th bike without a rectifier and noticed a significance in backfire. Once i replaced it it went away.

I race my 929 with no charging system at all. It pulls hard until the battery voltage drops below around 11V, then the electrics cut out and it stops. As long as the battery is charged it doesn't need the regulator.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 3:00 AM

Quote:
I race my 929 with no charging system at all. It pulls hard until the battery voltage drops below around 11V, then the electrics cut out and it stops. As long as the battery is charged it doesn't need the regulator.
Experience only suggests. Definitely electrical tho.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 3:07 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Experience only suggests. Definitely electrical tho.

I agree it is electrical.

post #9 of 13 Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
1. Since ur plugs r getting fouled up, it seems more of an electrical issue than a fuel issue. There's no combustion hence y ur plugs keep getting fouled up so that indicates fuel is getting to th chambers at least.

3. From what I understand, if th fpr went bad then th bike would constantly b flooding.
1. That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to. My orgininal though was that the injectors could be partially clogged, allowing too low a flow for on power, or stuck slightly open causing rich (although that doesn't make sense on hard acceleration). But swapping the injectors and getting the same result pretty much nullified that.

2. Thanks bladeracer, that's what I needed to know! Obviously I'm going to have to hook up the charging system eventually, but it's nice to know that's not the problem right now. It didn't come with a reg/rect (assuming it was broken), so I need to test the stator and get one of those.

3. I wish it was that, it would make my life easy lol. But it's only connected to 1 and 4...

I have all day tommorow to piss around with it, here's what I'm thinking right now:

Since 2 and 3 are on the same degree on the crank, it must be something that's connecting them together, electrical or mechanical. 2 things that connect them mechanically, there's the exhaust (htev specifically) that if it was in the wrong position would block flow. Checked and it's not. There's a vacuum line between the 2 and 3 throttle bodies, and of course, spark.

Starting with the obvious (but more to the point, easy ), airleak. I haven't checked beyond visually, but because it's simple, and I'm lazy, I'm going to start there first. It appears that the low temp high idle unit opens up an air passage to the throttle bodies. Will make sure that isn't stuck as well. Although thinking about it these would cause lean condition, and the plug looks more on the rich side of things.

Aaaand we're back to electrical. That sucks. SO, what I was thinking today, was possibly the ignition pulse generator. I don't know how it works, because I haven't looked at it yet, but my thinking is it may have a pickup that determines TDC for 1&4 and one for 2&3 and the cam sensor determines whether it's 1 or 4, or 2 or 3. Anyone know if I'm somewhere on the right track?

Also, is the timing adjustable?
post #10 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 AM

Reputation Power: 23

If I was you:

Check the free things like the air leak, mouse nest in the velocity stack, spark on all the plugs, plug gaps, try rotating the plugs to different cylinders for the heck of it.

Check the stator yet? or try running the bike on a full battery to rule out the charging system? Getting a R/R should be high on the priority list.

But to answer your question, the timing is not adjustable unless you have a powercommander with the additional ignition module too OR people buy a fixed ignition advancer (little star rotor on the right).

Good link on ignition advancing:
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-advancer.html
post #11 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 11:36 AM

What's a 'mouse nest'?
post #12 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
What's a 'mouse nest'?

A place where mouses live.

post #13 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
A place where mouses live.
Lol I thought it was slang for something involving th velocity stax.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page