Loud Front Sprocket Clicking - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 4:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Loud Front Sprocket Clicking

Lately I am hearing very loud clicking coming from the front sprocket. I'm not sure exactly when it started, but it seems as if its gotten worse since taking my rear wheel off to change the tire.

I cannot isolate if the sound is coming from the chain or from behind the sprocket. I have checked to make sure there is proper slack all around the and even loosened/tightened the chain with no effect to the sound.

I uploaded a good video to youtube where you can hear/see it perfectly. Hopefully someone will be able to help me figure out what I'm hearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 6:09 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Re: Loud Front Sprocket Clicking

I would tighten the front sproket nut (or check it)... see if that helps. It can make a similar sound if loose.

But honestly that doesn't sound horrible... then again you shot only 20 seconds of video and in the complete dark.

What's really important is:

How does the bike drive? does it shift through the gears good? stay in gear? does the sound change as you drive faster or slower, or only in certain gears, etc, etc?

More info the better
post #3 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 6:40 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
Lately I am hearing very loud clicking coming from the front sprocket. I'm not sure exactly when it started, but it seems as if its gotten worse since taking my rear wheel off to change the tire.

I cannot isolate if the sound is coming from the chain or from behind the sprocket. I have checked to make sure there is proper slack all around the and even loosened/tightened the chain with no effect to the sound.

I uploaded a good video to youtube where you can hear/see it perfectly. Hopefully someone will be able to help me figure out what I'm hearing.
929 Front Sprocket Noise - YouTube

I've never really listened to a chain from two inches distance before but that doesn't sound unusual.
How much mileage is on the chain and sprockets?
Are they badly worn?
Is the chain lubed?
What size are the sprockets?
Is the swingarm buffer pad worn through perhaps?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 9:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

Sounds like the chain is worn to me, I had a simalar issue with mine sounded like that, are you running a smaller front? Seemed to make a diffrence on mine as the chain had a tighter angle around the spocket.

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #5 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCBR View Post
I would tighten the front sproket nut (or check it)... see if that helps. It can make a similar sound if loose.

But honestly that doesn't sound horrible... then again you shot only 20 seconds of video and in the complete dark.

What's really important is:

How does the bike drive? does it shift through the gears good? stay in gear? does the sound change as you drive faster or slower, or only in certain gears, etc, etc?

More info the better
Wow..Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

So maybe I am just paranoid. The bike seems to drive just fine. The only shifting problems is a slight "notchiness" from 2-3 and sometimes 3-4. (Which I figure is expected at almost 40k miles)

The sound remains the same throughout all gears at all speeds. I can hear it over the engine sound going down the road though.

The sprocket is stock but doesn't appear to be worn. The chain is in good condition, but is getting up there is miles..probably 15k on it.

I think I will start with swapping the buffer pad out. It does appear to be pretty worn, but I'm not really sure how tall its supposed to be.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 12:13 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
Wow..Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

So maybe I am just paranoid. The bike seems to drive just fine. The only shifting problems is a slight "notchiness" from 2-3 and sometimes 3-4. (Which I figure is expected at almost 40k miles)

The sound remains the same throughout all gears at all speeds. I can hear it over the engine sound going down the road though.

The sprocket is stock but doesn't appear to be worn. The chain is in good condition, but is getting up there is miles..probably 15k on it.

I think I will start with swapping the buffer pad out. It does appear to be pretty worn, but I'm not really sure how tall its supposed to be.
I'd say 99% sure you need new chain and sprockets... most mechanics say you should buy new sprockets with new chains because you will prematurely wear the new chain (in your instance) with the old sprockets that are most likely worn into the shape of the stretched chain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page