bolt gaps for calipers - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

bolt gaps for calipers

Hi

are the cbr954 and vtr sp1 rc51 calipers primarily the same? referring to the bolt gaps that bolt the calipers to the fork. any1 used rc51 calipers on the cbr954 before?

reason i am asking, i see radial brake caliper brackets for rc51, but not for cbr954. so i was wondering if the rc51 brackets would bolt right up to my 954.

i assume i would need to change the rotors to what rc51 is using as well? any1 have any experience with this mod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Re: bolt gaps for calipers

I was always told that the 954 rims where lighter. SO i never went on to changing anyhting. But why must i ask?
post #3 of 7 Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.scarlet View Post
I was always told that the 954 rims where lighter. SO i never went on to changing anyhting. But why must i ask?

I think he wants to use RC51 radial caliper adapters to mount radial calipers on his 954. I would just make some adaptor plates myself.
I assume he wants them for asthetic reasons.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 8:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.scarlet View Post
its not about the rims for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I think he wants to use RC51 radial caliper adapters to mount radial calipers on his 954. I would just make some adaptor plates myself.
I assume he wants them for asthetic reasons.
radial calipers have a better brake feel. maybe to many the feel is negligible, but i previously upgraded my normal calipers to radial calipers for my previous bike and i feel the difference on the track.

the ebay seller just told me the rc51 radial brackets wont fit the cbr954.
I dont have the technical know-hows, tools and skills to make 1. if someone can fabricate a pair for me, that would be excellent.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshiki View Post
its not about the rims for me.

radial calipers have a better brake feel. maybe to many the feel is negligible, but i previously upgraded my normal calipers to radial calipers for my previous bike and i feel the difference on the track.

the ebay seller just told me the rc51 radial brackets wont fit the cbr954.
I dont have the technical know-hows, tools and skills to make 1. if someone can fabricate a pair for me, that would be excellent.

What was your previous bike? Maybe it just had crap calipers to begin with. I haven't seen any advantage to radial calipers over conventionals of equal quality.
Which radial calipers are you wanting to use?
I'm quite sure any decent machinst can make the adaptors but it'd probably be a couple of hundred dollars at least.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshiki View Post
Hi

are the cbr954 and vtr sp1 rc51 calipers primarily the same? referring to the bolt gaps that bolt the calipers to the fork. any1 used rc51 calipers on the cbr954 before?

reason i am asking, i see radial brake caliper brackets for rc51, but not for cbr954. so i was wondering if the rc51 brackets would bolt right up to my 954.

i assume i would need to change the rotors to what rc51 is using as well? any1 have any experience with this mod?

To answer your question, the SP1 appears to use the same casting as the 929/954 calipers so they should be interchangeable with the 954.
Did he tell you why the adaptors won't work on the 954? Did he give you any measurements of the adaptors?

post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What was your previous bike? Maybe it just had crap calipers to begin with. I haven't seen any advantage to radial calipers over conventionals of equal quality.
Which radial calipers are you wanting to use?
I'm quite sure any decent machinst can make the adaptors but it'd probably be a couple of hundred dollars at least.
was riding a fz6 before, and i upgraded my front ends to r6.
i do have a pair of cbr1000rr tokico calipers, but i am tempted to grab duc 848 stock brembo calipers from my friend.
there arent many good machinist around here, so it would be quite tough to find someone to do it. like i mentioned, if someone can do a good pair for me, i would be happy to pay for it.

Quote:
To answer your question, the SP1 appears to use the same casting as the 929/954 calipers so they should be interchangeable with the 954.
Did he tell you why the adaptors won't work on the 954? Did he give you any measurements of the adaptors?
nope, he simply said it wouldnt fit without giving a reason y. here's the sales url.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page