How to locate and remove Regulator/Rectifier ? on 1998 CBR900RRW - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

How to locate and remove Regulator/Rectifier ? on 1998 CBR900RRW

Can anybody please let me know where i will find the RR on my blade and how i get to it and remove it. Thanks

Hi, I have been advised that my RR is troublesome which i understand is quite common on Blade's. I have bought a replacement and need to fit it but am no sure how to do it as i have only recently aquired it and dont have a manual yet and dont want to fiddle without knowledge..

Thanks for your support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

Re: How to locate and remove Regulator/Rectifier ? on 1998 CBR900RRW

remove the right hand rear seat fairing which you need to remove the drivers seat for. its mounted to the subframe. Its easy to remove two screws and plug the new one in. Its also a good idea to add some heat transfer paste like what they use on PC CPU's between the heatsink and CPU but thats a nice to have. Some of the replacement recs have cooling fins which also help

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #3 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 1:39 PM Thread Starter

Hi again Lambchops, I have looked at the new RR and it does have some extra fins on the top which im happy about as the ebay add for the item didnt show any, so looks like they have sent me a different manufacturer item which i hope is an unexpected bonus. im sure ive got a small tube of silver paste at work as i work it IT, if i have i will defo use so thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully once fitted it will sort out my problem as ive put a brand new Gel battery on her a week or so ago so was surprised that it had flattened so quickly.. previous owner blamed lack of use for the original battery carking it that and the DataTool Veto taking to much juice out of it., but im hoping its more down to the RR. I took it to a local BS a few days ago, they did a quick test on the battery and their reading showed battery as being good, but little or no charge coming into it even at relatively high revs... also little change when headlights put on...
Fingers x'd as i dont want our new relationship to start on bad terms, lol
Thanks again.. Btw, just read some of your thread ref your strip down and rebuild.. sounds like a big job, would be good to see pics when its done. Ciao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 1:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

Hope its sorts it, should do they are a weak point on the early bikes.

Dont worry loads of pics of my bike as it comes togther, two months left to finish it as want it sorted by April as dont want to miss any of the season

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #5 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 5:50 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsdd View Post
Hi again Lambchops, I have looked at the new RR and it does have some extra fins on the top which im happy about as the ebay add for the item didnt show any, so looks like they have sent me a different manufacturer item which i hope is an unexpected bonus. im sure ive got a small tube of silver paste at work as i work it IT, if i have i will defo use so thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully once fitted it will sort out my problem as ive put a brand new Gel battery on her a week or so ago so was surprised that it had flattened so quickly.. previous owner blamed lack of use for the original battery carking it that and the DataTool Veto taking to much juice out of it., but im hoping its more down to the RR. I took it to a local BS a few days ago, they did a quick test on the battery and their reading showed battery as being good, but little or no charge coming into it even at relatively high revs... also little change when headlights put on...
Thanks again.. Btw, just read some of your thread ref your strip down and rebuild.. sounds like a big job, would be good to see pics when its done. Ciao
I fitted a computer CPU fan onto the reg/rect on my 954 to aid the cooling and also put heat sink compound between the reg and the subframe. Not sure if it did any good except that i had no problems after that.

Cheers
Simon
post #6 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:

I would've thought little or no charge would be down to the stator rather than the regulator?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 3:02 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Regulators can go either way...they either let too much voltage through or almost none.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-11-2012, 8:37 AM Thread Starter

Re: How to locate and remove Regulator/Rectifier ? on 1998 CBR900RRW HELP !!!!!

I have replaced the RR with a new one purchased off the net.. looks identical except has more cooling ribs than the old. Fitted perfectly using original holes and wiring connectors, I even added some CPU heat transfer paste.. BUT, and here's the bad news. It has blown a fuse !!, well actually 3 fuses. The fuse that blew is in the fuse pack that is tucked inside the frame that is just infront of the regulator at the right hand side of the battery. I have replaced the fuse with the battery disconnected and the RR disconnected... but as soon as I reconnect the battery the fuse blows again.. so at the moment the bike is dead and im fed up. Whats Wrong ?? Is the new RR likely to be faulty or am I doing something wrong. The bike has a DataTool Veto alarm which keeps going off when i disconnect the battery and hence when im trying to fix the issue its chaos. There is no point me just keep adding new fuses as they blow straight away. So do i need to do it in a different sequence or just get the new RR replaced ?? HELP please.. beg beg.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-11-2012, 9:32 AM
Global Moderator

Re: How to locate and remove Regulator/Rectifier ? on 1998 CBR900RRW HELP !!!!!

Quote:
I have replaced the RR with a new one purchased off the net.. looks identical except has more cooling ribs than the old. Fitted perfectly using original holes and wiring connectors, I even added some CPU heat transfer paste.. BUT, and here's the bad news. It has blown a fuse !!, well actually 3 fuses. The fuse that blew is in the fuse pack that is tucked inside the frame that is just infront of the regulator at the right hand side of the battery. I have replaced the fuse with the battery disconnected and the RR disconnected... but as soon as I reconnect the battery the fuse blows again.. so at the moment the bike is dead and im fed up. Whats Wrong ?? Is the new RR likely to be faulty or am I doing something wrong. The bike has a DataTool Veto alarm which keeps going off when i disconnect the battery and hence when im trying to fix the issue its chaos. There is no point me just keep adding new fuses as they blow straight away. So do i need to do it in a different sequence or just get the new RR replaced ?? HELP please.. beg beg.

Does it still blow the fuse if you disconnect the regulator?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #10 of 18 Old 03-11-2012, 2:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi, not sure tbh, I was so fixed on getting the regulator in and the bike running that i haven tried to add a new fuse and connect the battery with the reg unplugged. ill have to try it in a couple of days to see whats what
post #11 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 1:53 PM Thread Starter

Hi, I have removed the new RR, put in a replacement fuse and connected the battery. Fuse ok and ignition lights come on (i didnt try to start her tho as no RR on)... so that seemed ok. Disconnected the battery and connected the old RR, then reconnected battery, fuse ok and ignition lights came on. Tried to start but wouldnt as batt nearly flat... but thats pretty much as it was before I replaced the RR as the original RR isnt charging the battery so its constantly loosing charge.. and the battery is only a month old.

So, does this mean that the New RR is faulty even tho its brand new and straight from an ebay trader? or is there something else wrong here. Im planning on going to a local bike shop in the next 2 days to pick up another new RR and then scrap or return the faulty ebay RR. its nearly double the price at £70 ish but i just want her to work with no other issues and without damaging anything.
Any further advice will be appreciated otherwise i might trade her in for another boring but dependable Kawasaki ER5 (lol). thanks
Simon
post #12 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 2:05 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hi, I have removed the new RR, put in a replacement fuse and connected the battery. Fuse ok and ignition lights come on (i didnt try to start her tho as no RR on)... so that seemed ok. Disconnected the battery and connected the old RR, then reconnected battery, fuse ok and ignition lights came on. Tried to start but wouldnt as batt nearly flat... but thats pretty much as it was before I replaced the RR as the original RR isnt charging the battery so its constantly loosing charge.. and the battery is only a month old.

So, does this mean that the New RR is faulty even tho its brand new and straight from an ebay trader? or is there something else wrong here. Im planning on going to a local bike shop in the next 2 days to pick up another new RR and then scrap or return the faulty ebay RR. its nearly double the price at £70 ish but i just want her to work with no other issues and without damaging anything.
Any further advice will be appreciated otherwise i might trade her in for another boring but dependable Kawasaki ER5 (lol). thanks
Simon

Charge the battery, start the engine and measure the voltage being supplied to the battery.

post #13 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 2:09 PM Thread Starter

Hi, when i first noticed that the battery was being drained i took it to a local bike shop who put a basic tester on the battery and tested input whilst reving it and also with the lights on and off. Neither seemed to make and difference and hence he advised that the RR was caput.. so ive gone along with that advice and hence the purchase of the new RR that is now causing the issues.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 2:11 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hi, when i first noticed that the battery was being drained i took it to a local bike shop who put a basic tester on the battery and tested input whilst reving it and also with the lights on and off. Neither seemed to make and difference and hence he advised that the RR was caput.. so ive gone along with that advice and hence the purchase of the new RR that is now causing the issues.

How did he determine that was due to the regulator rather than the stator though?
Check AC voltage on the three phases of the stator to see if it is actually generating power.

post #15 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 2:18 PM Thread Starter

Hi, not sure to be honest, i was just running with his advice as although im quite handy at diy and basic mechanics im not that with it as far as auto electrics are concerned.. as ive only ever replaced batteries, spark plugs, bulbs etc so this is where im a little blind and am struggling somewhat.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page