954 strange warmup characteristics - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 1:51 PM Thread Starter
C_T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

954 strange warmup characteristics

Hey peeps,

Recently this has started, the symptoms are as follows;

- starting from warm, seems fine, autochoke idle not engaged - probably due to prev ride getting to correct temps, like cold temps trigger something and its getting stuck (read on)
- first start of the day, wasn't really cold overnight, starts fine with high autochoke idle. It used to reduce to standart idle range quicker than now.

- first start of the day, cold overnight. starts fine with high autochoke idle. Doesn't reduce to normal idle when engine is 45-50 deg C like it used to, now it stays on high idle until it hits approx 85 C then it cuts back to normal idle range. It takes longer than normal to get to operating temp, but it also revs much higher so cooling system may be fighting the autochoke because its not disengaging correctly?

Any tips and suggestions to narrow this down so im armed when presenting to bikeshop (hands on mechanical work isn't my forte).

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 2:02 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 954 strange warmup characteristics

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_T View Post
Hey peeps,

Recently this has started, the symptoms are as follows;

- starting from warm, seems fine, autochoke idle not engaged - probably due to prev ride getting to correct temps, like cold temps trigger something and its getting stuck (read on)
- first start of the day, wasn't really cold overnight, starts fine with high autochoke idle. It used to reduce to standart idle range quicker than now.

- first start of the day, cold overnight. starts fine with high autochoke idle. Doesn't reduce to normal idle when engine is 45-50 deg C like it used to, now it stays on high idle until it hits approx 85 C then it cuts back to normal idle range. It takes longer than normal to get to operating temp, but it also revs much higher so cooling system may be fighting the autochoke because its not disengaging correctly?

Any tips and suggestions to narrow this down so im armed when presenting to bikeshop (hands on mechanical work isn't my forte).

Cheers!

How long is it since you've checked the fuel pressure regulator?
How old is the coolant and is the radiator full?
Otherwise, check the wax unit is operating properly.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 1:21 AM Thread Starter
C_T

Never checked regulator.
Major service 10k km's ago, valve clearances, coolant flush etc.
Haven't checked the level, have no evidence suggesting its low as all temps are consistent.

The worst part is, if i get a lot of traffic lights after i start riding, as i ride the temp increases which works towards resetting the autochoke, but if i get a red light before it hits 83+ then because its strong idle the temp will go DOWN and hot hit 83+ so prolongs the process. Thismorning i didn't get any lights and it warmed up fine without me noticing much difference (although i know its there).

Always start the bike and allow it to reach 35 deg min before riding, have always done this. So when symptoms change its quite noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 1:48 AM

Reputation Power: 23

I had that problem when my coolant was low...

After you get that issue fixed you should put a fan over-ride switch on your bike so you can turn on your fan when you are riding in town... helps a lot to keep the engine temps down.

I leave mine on at all times while riding in town.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 2:16 AM Thread Starter
C_T

Awesome, feel much more confident with this knowledge on my side.

will check coolant asap and this will certainly guide me in the right direction, will report my findings.

yeah booking it in for due service next week, just wanted to diagnose this better first so im not paying some dude 70 an hour to slowly and possibly incorrectly diagnose the bike.

thanks heaps guy's!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page