Honda Newbie looking for some 929 info!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Honda Newbie looking for some 929 info!!

Heres the story. I havent ridden since I hit a deer on my ZX-11 back in 04. My buddy and I were just into fun weekend riding and running at the drag strip. We loved running at the drag strip and my ZX-11 was a great bike for that. Well my buddy wants to get into riding again and bought a Busa for the strip. He talked me into getting a bike but I dont have a whole lot to spend. Ive found two bikes that Im really interested in. A 02 GSXR 750 and a 01 CBR 929. Both have similiar miles and are piped. CBR has brand new tires. I dont care about top speed but I would like good quarter mile times. Basically the most bang for my buck lol. Im gonna go look at the 929 next week. Is there anything I should look for? Are these 929,s known for any issues. The only reason Im looking at the 750 is because 15 yrs ago I owned a 92 and it was pretty fast. Ive been told the GSXR will run right with the 929 in a quarter mile.. Can anyone confirm this? Ive never owned a honda but the 929 Im looking at has a pretty good price on it. Do these make good drag bikes? I know I sound like an idiot but Ive been out of the sportbike scene for awhile. Im an older guy lookin to get back into it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Honda Newbie looking for some 929 info!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider955 View Post
Heres the story. I havent ridden since I hit a deer on my ZX-11 back in 04. My buddy and I were just into fun weekend riding and running at the drag strip. We loved running at the drag strip and my ZX-11 was a great bike for that. Well my buddy wants to get into riding again and bought a Busa for the strip. He talked me into getting a bike but I dont have a whole lot to spend. Ive found two bikes that Im really interested in. A 02 GSXR 750 and a 01 CBR 929. Both have similiar miles and are piped. CBR has brand new tires. I dont care about top speed but I would like good quarter mile times. Basically the most bang for my buck lol. Im gonna go look at the 929 next week. Is there anything I should look for? Are these 929,s known for any issues. The only reason Im looking at the 750 is because 15 yrs ago I owned a 92 and it was pretty fast. Ive been told the GSXR will run right with the 929 in a quarter mile.. Can anyone confirm this? Ive never owned a honda but the 929 Im looking at has a pretty good price on it. Do these make good drag bikes? I know I sound like an idiot but Ive been out of the sportbike scene for awhile. Im an older guy lookin to get back into it. Thanks
929's are mainly known for servo motor and charging system failures, and serious damage to the crankcase in left-side crashes. I don't know what problems that era of GSXR's were known for.
Performance wise both bikes are identical. Handling wise though I'd go with the GSXR for sure.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
929's are mainly known for servo motor and charging system failures, and serious damage to the crankcase in left-side crashes. I don't know what problems that era of GSXR's were known for.
Performance wise both bikes are identical. Handling wise though I'd go with the GSXR for sure.
Interesting enough in the pictures of the 929 that the guy sent me, he said the left side cover looks like its has some repair done to it. Like its been cracked. The cover is only 60 bucks new on ebay though. When you say handling, do you mean like in the twisties or straight line? For 500 more, theres a 2001 Yamaha R1 for sale but I never liked the look of those too much. And its been repainted.
Attached Thumbnails
cbr929-2.JPG‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Interesting enough in the pictures of the 929 that the guy sent me, he said the left side cover looks like its has some repair done to it. Like its been cracked. The cover is only 60 bucks new on ebay though. When you say handling, do you mean like in the twisties or straight line? For 500 more, theres a 2001 Yamaha R1 for sale but I never liked the look of those too much. And its been repainted.

Yes, the engine cover smashes very easily (even falling over stationary) but isn't a major problem as long as the stator survives. You need to inspect the crankcase around behind the stator cover as repairing that can be expensive.
Handling refers to braking and steering, you don't need handling in straight lines - leave those for the Harleys and tourers :-)
I'm not a fan of the R1 myself but I don't have any specific grudge against them.
Ride all three and decide which one suits you best.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Imho i think the 929 will be a better investment long term. In reliability, service and resale. I have heard alot of people reffer to the gsxr as a throw away bike. I went threw about a 6 month "narrowing down" process before i got my 929 and in retrospect, all things considered, i couldnt be happier!
post #6 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 4:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeskinner1 View Post
Imho i think the 929 will be a better investment long term. In reliability, service and resale. I have heard alot of people reffer to the gsxr as a throw away bike. I went threw about a 6 month "narrowing down" process before i got my 929 and in retrospect, all things considered, i couldnt be happier!
I did kind of the same narrowing down process. I was looking at GSXR 1000's and R1's but they were all out of my price range. Ive found lots of GSXR 750's but most of them have had "Low speed laydowns". Im glad to here that you're happy with the 929, Reliability is important to me.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 4:55 PM

Quote:
I did kind of the same narrowing down process. I was looking at GSXR 1000's and R1's but they were all out of my price range. Ive found lots of GSXR 750's but most of them have had "Low speed laydowns". Im glad to here that you're happy with the 929, Reliability is important to me.
Not to mention it just looks way sexier than the others!
post #8 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 8:38 PM Thread Starter

Im heading down on Saturday to check it out. I cant wait!!! 2001 with 17,000 miles, Two brothers pipe and brand new tires. Hopefully I bring it home!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeskinner1 View Post
Not to mention it just looks way sexier than the others!

Last edited by Knightrider955; 02-21-2012 at 2:56 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 1:24 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Quote:
Im heading down on Saturday to check it out. I cant wait!!! 2001 with 17,000 miles, Two brothers pipe and brand new tires. 3300 bucks. Hopefully I bring it home!!
Good call with the 929. I love mine. Everyone and their mom has a gsxr. The 929 will be a lot more fun to ride since it's power is down lower in the rev range compared to the gsxr and especially the R1.

Just get some frame slidders and you're set.

GL with the buy
post #10 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Th 929 hands down. Matt's also right, everyone has a GSXR. I have nothing against them tho. I jus got my 929 about 6 months ago an its safe to say I won't think about replacing it for a long time.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazie929 View Post
Th 929 hands down. Matt's also right, everyone has a GSXR. I have nothing against them tho. I jus got my 929 about 6 months ago an its safe to say I won't think about replacing it for a long time.

Perhaps everybody has one because it's just a better bike :-)

post #12 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Perhaps everybody has one because it's just a better bike :-)
Not necessarily. Definitely a throw away bike. I see more GSXR being sold on CL than any other model.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 1:51 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not necessarily. Definitely a throw away bike. I see more GSXR being sold on CL than any other model.

Of course, you said there are a lot more of them around so it makes sense there'd be a lot more being traded.

post #14 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Of course, you said there are a lot more of them around so it makes sense there'd be a lot more being traded.
Of course but more doesn't mean better.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 2:42 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Of course but more doesn't mean better.

I didn't say they were better, just that it might be one reason they're so much more common. People don't drive Lada Niva's because they're elite and nobody else has one :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page