Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 02-29-2012, 6:34 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-26-2012
Location: Valdosta, GA
Age: 33
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9
   
Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

I have a '01 929RR with stock headers/mid pipe and 2bros C4 slip-on exhaust. I want to make a legit GP type exhaust. I don't mean hacking my can, or just hacking the can off, or just putting a slash cut tip from the mid pipe. I want to make my own GP exhaust with baffles in the pipe. I also want this DIY project exhaust to sound good. Louder than just a slip-on, but not the stupid loud sound that's just annoying to everyone around me.

I have google'd this subject and have from multiple threads from various forums other than this one and they start off helpful, but then turn into something completely different and don't have too many details on how they did the exhaust. I've tried to PM the people, but unfortunently the threads are 3-4 years old...

So I would like to open this thread to people that can actually help me and not rant about other things. How to go about making the exhaust, what baffles in put inside the exhaust and so forth and so on. I have a picture attached to show what i'm talking about.

Sorry if I am being a rude or a jack "donkey", just trying to be straight forward. Also I think that if we can pull our resourses together and have a legit thread on this, then we could help other trying to do this.

Thanks in Advance!!

Last edited by are929; 04-26-2012 at 6:53 PM.
are929 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by are929 View Post
I have a '01 929RR with stock headers/mid pipe and 2bros C4 slip-on exhaust. I want to make a legit GP type exhaust. I don't mean hacking my can, or just hacking the can off, or just putting a slash cut tip from the mid pipe. I want to make my own GP exhaust with baffles in the pipe. I also want this DIY project exhaust to sound good. Louder than just a slip-on, but not the stupid loud sound that's just annoying to everyone around me.

I have google'd this subject and have from multiple threads from various forums other than this one and they start off helpful, but then turn into something completely different and don't have too many details on how they did the exhaust. I've tried to PM the people, but unfortunently the threads are 3-4 years old...

So I would like to open this thread to people that can actually help me and not rant about other things. How to go about making the exhaust, what baffles in put inside the exhaust and so forth and so on. I have a picture attached to show what i'm talking about.

Sorry if I am being a rude or a jack "donkey", just trying to be straight forward. Also I think that if we can pull our resourses together and have a legit thread on this, then we could help other trying to do this.

Thanks in Advance!!


Just go to an exhaust place and buy a bunch of baffle tube and have a play around. The 929 has the advantage of the HTEV flange so I would probably remove the HTEV housing and do the baffling in that area beneath the engine rather than try to fit it into the outlet.


The most radical exhaust system I've made was an under-seat muffler for my '98 GSXR750. I did it to move the mass and drag of the muffler away from one side to the centreline of the bike, to reduce the muffler damage in crashes, lengthen the exhaust system, and to centralise the exhaust gas cloud behind the bike. It worked stunningly well, but it ran very, very hot behind the seat. It made great top end power with good midrange. I'm not into exhaust notes usually but I did quite like that one. I put the excess heat down to the flexible stainless pipe I'd used to prototype it (but never bothered to replace with smooth pipe).

To increase the amount of baffle tube I could use and maximise the volume of the seat unit I made up a Y-section of baffle tube where the pipe enters the chamber and then ran two baffle tubes through to the dual outlets. Then I packed the whole chamber with steel mesh and fibreglass muffler packing. When I stripped it later on it was very obvious exactly where the exhaust gases had flowed through and where the space was unused which would've helped me design a better version. But they changed the Superbike rules so I couldn't race the 750 in '04 and I never pursued it further.
Attached Thumbnails
underseat muffler RHS naked close.jpg‎   underseat muffler RHS naked.jpg‎  
Attached Files
File Type: wmv Downshifting.wmv‎ (6.26 MB, 20 views)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old 02-29-2012, 4:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-26-2012
Location: Valdosta, GA
Age: 33
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9
   
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

bladeracer---
Thanks you for your detailed information. Good on ya for thinking outside the box on your GSXR750. It looks good.

Do you know what kind of baffles I should get? I don't know anything about baffles. I did get on a few sites and look at 5-6 different type of baffles and there are just so many different types.

Also I keep reading about the HTEV, but I still don't get what exactly it is/what it does/and where is it located. Is there any way you can "dumb" it down for me? Just to tell how much I don't know about it, I thought it was in the airbox below the air filter. Do you have any pictures/does anyone have pictures of the HTEV to get me a better idea?

Thanks in advance!!
are929 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 38 Old 02-29-2012, 5:27 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by are929 View Post
bladeracer---
Thanks you for your detailed information. Good on ya for thinking outside the box on your GSXR750. It looks good.

Do you know what kind of baffles I should get? I don't know anything about baffles. I did get on a few sites and look at 5-6 different type of baffles and there are just so many different types.

Also I keep reading about the HTEV, but I still don't get what exactly it is/what it does/and where is it located. Is there any way you can "dumb" it down for me? Just to tell how much I don't know about it, I thought it was in the airbox below the air filter. Do you have any pictures/does anyone have pictures of the HTEV to get me a better idea?

Thanks in advance!!

I don't think it really matters what sort of baffle tube you use. I just used what the exhaust supplier had which was simple steel pipe full of holes.

The HTEV is the exhaust side of the HVIX system that alters the intake and exhaust flow to boost the midrange.
If you are going to substantially shorten the exhaust system and increase gas flow you are going to ruin the midrange anyway, so it seems pointless keeping the HTEV when you can make more effective use of that area to baffle the shortened exhaust system.
The manual explains the system entirely including lots of detailed drawings. Essentially, it's a rotary valve that moves through three positions altering the exhaust system from four-into-one (for high rpm), four-into-two (for midrange) and something between the two.
Being a litre-class engine though the entire system is totally unneccessary in my opinion, and is poorly implemented anyway. The HTEV itself has bushes inside which get coked up until the servo motor strips its plastic gears trying to turn it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 38 Old 02-29-2012, 6:40 PM
 
Join Date: 01-30-2012
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23
                     
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

I really like this guy's idea (his website is on the background)... trouble is he charges $500 for it.... this part is for 929s








So if you find a easy way to copy it post up the how to article he was pretty reserved about how he made them (because he was selling them)... but he did great work
MattCBR is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old 03-01-2012, 4:08 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-26-2012
Location: Valdosta, GA
Age: 33
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9
   
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

Bladeracer---- Thanks for the details and info about the HTEV. I don't have any kind of manual with my bike. Probably should get one before I start on this.

MattCBR----- Thanks for your input, those are the kind of pictures i've been looking for. I don't blame the guy that makes them for not disclosing detailed specs. Money is hard to come by these days. But on the flip side, I am wanting to do this as cheaply as possible. So yes if I can pull this off as a legit GP pipe and keep the power, then I will gladly post it up in a how to. That way I can save everybody money, cuz i'm just that nice of a guy, and I know i'm not the only cheap ass on here or else there wouldn't be a HOW TO on this forum.
are929 is offline  
post #7 of 38 Old 03-01-2012, 4:20 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCBR View Post
I really like this guy's idea (his website is on the background)... trouble is he charges $500 for it.... this part is for 929s








So if you find a easy way to copy it post up the how to article he was pretty reserved about how he made them (because he was selling them)... but he did great work

Damn! He stole my idea :-)
That's exactly how I would've gone about it myself, except that I see no value to retaining the HTEV which would give more room to work with.
He's cut the flange off the OEM pipe and welded this onto it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #8 of 38 Old 03-01-2012, 4:27 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-26-2012
Location: Valdosta, GA
Age: 33
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9
   
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

blade--- so in the picture you quoted, can you explain to me where the HTEV is?
Thanks in Advance and for previous post!!
are929 is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old 03-01-2012, 4:44 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by are929 View Post
blade--- so in the picture you quoted, can you explain to me where the HTEV is?
Thanks in Advance and for previous post!!

The housing that the muffler is bolted to is the HTEV housing. You can see the two cables running down into the pulley cover.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #10 of 38 Old 03-01-2012, 4:50 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-26-2012
Location: Valdosta, GA
Age: 33
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9
   
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
The housing that the muffler is bolted to is the HTEV housing. You can see the two cables running down into the pulley cover.

Got it... Man you are super cool for helping me out on this... I really appreciate it!!
are929 is offline  
post #11 of 38 Old 03-01-2012, 4:59 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by are929 View Post
Got it... Man you are super cool for helping me out on this... I really appreciate it!!

I like helping people :-)
I figure I help you, you'll help somebody else, they'll help another person, and so on...and eventually when I'm stuck somebody will be there to help me :-)
Matt's been seriously kicking my arse recently though with his helpfulness!
Duncan893 likes this.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #12 of 38 Old 03-01-2012, 5:10 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-26-2012
Location: Valdosta, GA
Age: 33
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9
   
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

yeah I would have to say he trumpt you with the pics, but you helped with describing the pics... blade=1 matt=2... both keep up the good work!! Don't forget one thing though.... RIDE ON!!!
are929 is offline  
post #13 of 38 Old 03-01-2012, 2:05 PM
 
Join Date: 01-30-2012
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23
                     
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

it's all good, Blade definately knows a lot more technically speaking with engine internals, suspension, etc... I usually just follow up and second his thoughts and maybe add my comment or two on my perspective.

There are usually more than one ways to skin a cat (as they say).

GL!
MattCBR is offline  
post #14 of 38 Old 03-05-2012, 4:29 PM
 
Join Date: 02-19-2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

will it run right like that or is a power commander a must
nolimit89 is offline  
post #15 of 38 Old 03-05-2012, 4:39 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Legit GP Style Exhaust Ideas/Have Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit89 View Post
will it run right like that or is a power commander a must

I would expect it to run just fine.
When I altered the exhaust system on my GSXR I made no changes to the map at all, all I did was raise the gearing slightly as it was making more speed at the end of the straight.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
954 Gp Style Exhaust anyst8ofm1nd Honda FireBlade 21 08-09-2013 7:28 AM
929 GP style exhaust...can i remove the flapper? pwozzy Honda FireBlade 8 05-19-2010 7:41 AM
08 1krr style exhaust on 06 Weasle1000RR Aftermarket Perfomance Parts Reviews 3 10-26-2009 1:42 PM
D&D Dual GP style exhaust BigBassTurd Honda FireBlade 3 05-07-2009 8:42 PM
MotoGP style exhaust JJ1 Honda FireBlade 33 08-15-2003 7:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome