Startor Cover Cracked ... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 3:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Startor Cover Cracked ...

Long story short, my bike was dropped at a stand-still and the startor cover cracked enough (hairline about 3 inches vertical) for oil to leak everywhere.

I bought some Permatex and sealed the crack right after it happened.

Unfortunately it was a rushed job and there is still a slight leak, enough to leak a couple drops of oil every day.

Contemplating my options to remedy this temporary fix and would appreciate advice:

1. Drain oil take off startor cover and do a better job sealing it

2. Take off startor cover remove sealant and weld the crack

3. Buy new startor cover, there are Chinese ones from eBay that are $60. I'm guessing you get what you pay for but I could be wrong, anyone have experience with these? ( HONDA CBR929 2000 2001 Stator Cover Engine Crankcase New | eBay)

Appreciate any feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 6:45 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Startor Cover Cracked ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiag0 View Post
Long story short, my bike was dropped at a stand-still and the startor cover cracked enough (hairline about 3 inches vertical) for oil to leak everywhere.

I bought some Permatex and sealed the crack right after it happened.

Unfortunately it was a rushed job and there is still a slight leak, enough to leak a couple drops of oil every day.

Contemplating my options to remedy this temporary fix and would appreciate advice:

1. Drain oil take off startor cover and do a better job sealing it

2. Take off startor cover remove sealant and weld the crack

3. Buy new startor cover, there are Chinese ones from eBay that are $60. I'm guessing you get what you pay for but I could be wrong, anyone have experience with these? ( HONDA CBR929 2000 2001 Stator Cover Engine Crankcase New | eBay)

Appreciate any feedback

Are you sure you haven't cracked the crankcase behind the stator cover as it's very common on these.
Personally I would probably just weld if it's still straight.
A Chinese cover couldn't be any weaker than the OEM Honda one so I would happily try it.
COVER, ALTERNATOR - Search : 11321-MCJ-305

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

I would jus replace it but like bladeracer said make sure th crack isnt on th crank case an th oil ur seeing on th stator cover isn't jus run off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Send a message via Yahoo to curbaez

If you dont want to lose the rest of the oil you can lean the bike to the right side and hold it with some 4x4, about 24inches or so.

I did that before, so much easier but again ON YOU OWN RISK, be careful how you lean the bike, I will also put an other 2x4 behind the rear tire and one on front too, if you are not ok with this then buy a oil pan from your auto parts shop and drain out the oil.

Like or not you need to replace the stator cover.

Good luck
post #5 of 6 Old 04-13-2012, 2:58 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Are you sure you haven't cracked the crankcase behind the stator cover as it's very common on these.
Personally I would probably just weld if it's still straight.
A Chinese cover couldn't be any weaker than the OEM Honda one so I would happily try it.
COVER, ALTERNATOR - Search : 11321-MCJ-305
Hm never thought of it, to be honest I thought the crank case and stator cover were the same thing. Will I see the crank case after taking the stator cover and gasket out?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-13-2012, 5:44 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiag0 View Post
Hm never thought of it, to be honest I thought the crank case and stator cover were the same thing. Will I see the crank case after taking the stator cover and gasket out?

The crankcase is the "engine" itself, the stator cover simply bolts to the crankcase.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page