Need a little bit of clarification! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 7:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Need a little bit of clarification!

I work at a motorcycle dealership in Western North Carolina. We just bought a used 2010 CBR1000RR off of a guy. http://www.mr-***************/new_ve...70&pov=2633010 This is it. I do know that a Fireblade and CBR1000RR are the same thing. Some of my co workers did not know that. What I do want to know is if there is any way to tell if this bike really did come from the Canadian market like we are being told by the seller. I know you would think that we would be able to figure this out. They are trusting this guy a little more than I want to. It has fireblade on the panels were CBR1000RR would normally be. Silver and orange was available in the US for 2010 correct? If this was from the Canadian market and the guy truly purchased it somehow would it not be in Km instead of miles? Our sales manager ran the vin through honda and it just showed that it is indeed a 2010 CBR1000RR, but not where it came from? I just don't want to sell this to someone and let them think they are getting a relatively neat bike when indeed it really is just as plain as the others.

(edit: My link isn't working? soo it's at mr-motorcycle dot com used honda bikes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 8:47 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Need a little bit of clarification!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiller332 View Post
I work at a motorcycle dealership in Western North Carolina. We just bought a used 2010 CBR1000RR off of a guy. http://www.mr-***************/new_ve...70&pov=2633010 This is it. I do know that a Fireblade and CBR1000RR are the same thing. Some of my co workers did not know that. What I do want to know is if there is any way to tell if this bike really did come from the Canadian market like we are being told by the seller. I know you would think that we would be able to figure this out. They are trusting this guy a little more than I want to. It has fireblade on the panels were CBR1000RR would normally be. Silver and orange was available in the US for 2010 correct? If this was from the Canadian market and the guy truly purchased it somehow would it not be in Km instead of miles? Our sales manager ran the vin through honda and it just showed that it is indeed a 2010 CBR1000RR, but not where it came from? I just don't want to sell this to someone and let them think they are getting a relatively neat bike when indeed it really is just as plain as the others.

(edit: My link isn't working? soo it's at mr-motorcycle dot com used honda bikes)

Wouldn't a Canadian VIN tag indicate it complies with Canadian design rules rather than US?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 8:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

I think it's a Canadian bike. Looks like what I've seen here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

What does a Canadian VIN tag look like? The VIN tag on it that I looked at showed no indication towards one country or another.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 1:16 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
What does a Canadian VIN tag look like? The VIN tag on it that I looked at showed no indication towards one country or another.

I have no idea.
Ours show compliance with our Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989.
I'm assuming the US and Canada don't have the same motor vehicle standards.
Attached Thumbnails
P1120586.jpg‎  

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 5:26 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Go to the DMV and get the registration history on it... if it's a dead end than check the Canadian registry.... There are records out there because if you private party sell a vehicle across the border (post 9-11) the vehicle is required to be held and looked over top to bottom at the border... At least that's what I went through when I sold a car to guy in Canada.... you can't just drive it across the border.

Since it's a used vehicle there isn't any red tape with whether or not the bike is street and emmissions legal in the US etc. The car I sold was a corvette with the cats removed and metal tubes welded in replacement lol.

As far as the dash mph... you can switch that back and forth by holding down the button on the dash for 3 seconds (same for Celcius to F).

That is a euro spec color with the "fireblade" instead of "racing" so if you go to honda and the vin matches the euro paint scheme on the bike it's most likely a Canadian bike.

To bad the Euro bikes are programmed weaker for stricter emmessions and they have one tooth less on the rear sprocket too.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 7:34 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCBR View Post
Go to the DMV and get the registration history on it... if it's a dead end than check the Canadian registry.... There are records out there because if you private party sell a vehicle across the border (post 9-11) the vehicle is required to be held and looked over top to bottom at the border... At least that's what I went through when I sold a car to guy in Canada.... you can't just drive it across the border.
They don't really look it over at the border. They just make sure all the vins and numbers match up, make sure your RIV fee is paid, then off you go. The actual inspection is done at Canadian Tire (usually) after you get the clearance forms (Form 2) at the border.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 7:38 AM

^Sounds right... but they did search the car he said because they want to make sure you don't have asault riffles, rocket launchers, and drugs stashed away in the voids
post #9 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

I don't believe that it was a private party sell (supposedly). I don't remember the VIN tag saying anything about that. Do the newer Canadian bikes still have stamped VIN tags? This is printed and looks like the rest on every other newer bike in my store. Was this color only on euro spec bikes?

Last edited by Tiller332; 04-15-2012 at 12:30 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't believe that it was a private party sell (supposedly). I don't remember the VIN tag saying anything about that. Do the newer Canadian bikes still have stamped VIN tags? This is printed and looks like the rest on every other newer bike in my store. Was this color only on euro spec bikes?

Maybe just post a photo of the VIN tag and one of the Candians can tell you if theirs is the same.
If the tag is identical to the other US tags you have then I would guess it's a US bike.
What digit does if have after the SC59?

post #11 of 15 Old 04-16-2012, 3:01 AM

Looking into the registration history. That'll tell you 100% what type of bike it is.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-16-2012, 5:43 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
I just don't want to sell this to someone and let them think they are getting a relatively neat bike when indeed it really is just as plain as the others.

What makes it "relatively neat" if it's from Canada and plain if it's from the U.S.?
post #13 of 15 Old 04-16-2012, 6:30 AM

Reputation Power: 113

The Canadian bike would have cost about 20% more when new.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

0 after the Sc59. If it was a Canadian bike then some customers would enjoy that fact because it gives them a neat story about their bike that some people might value. Keep in mind that I'm not saying that I personally think it's super awesome or something. I'll post a pic of the VIN tag after work. So I'm guessing this color was definitely offered in America in 2010? Just trying to verify.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
0 after the Sc59. If it was a Canadian bike then some customers would enjoy that fact because it gives them a neat story about their bike that some people might value. Keep in mind that I'm not saying that I personally think it's super awesome or something. I'll post a pic of the VIN tag after work. So I'm guessing this color was definitely offered in America in 2010? Just trying to verify.

SC590 should be US then.
SC591 would be Cali.
I don't know what the market digit is for Canada though - assuming it is different from US.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page