New Member Alert!! Just got me a 929... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 1:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

New Member Alert!! Just got me a 929...

Been reading the forum for a while now, mainly due to my general interest in the Firblade, but more recently because I decided it was time to actually own one!

I have an '09 Triumph Speed Triple but really wanted to get out on the track; a visit to Mallory Park last October got me hooked so I decided to invest in a track bike, but something I could also use on the road.. I don't have bags of money so it had to be cost effective, not only to buy but to run as well.....and it had to be a 'Blade

I came across a RR1 that already had race fairings fitted but also had a day time MOT, 21k on the clock with all the MOT certificates to back up the mileage, HPI clear, UK bike, and an owner who'd converted it to track form only a year prior. He was lucky enough to have a circuit on his door step (hence the conversion) but was unfortunatley moving house, couple that with a nagging misses and the bike had to go, so I helped him out and took it off his hands for a reasonable £1450

She's a bit rough round the edges but appeared to be mechanically sound, which is something that was later confirmed when I had her checked over at my local garage, who also carried out the top end inspection, replaced the cam chain tensioner, and replaced the spark plugs whilst it was there. It had a race tail unit installed which I've since replaced with an OEM item (eBay) for two reasons - 1) The race item wouldn't sit flush on the sub frame with the standard under tray fitted - 2) I'll be using her on the road on the odd occasion and wanted to run a brake lamp.

Other than the above she has stubby race slip on exhaust fitted (which is causing me some concern with regards to noise restrictions at a lot of track days), HEL brake lines up front, new chain and sprockets, Pirelli Corsa's that are one track day old, and shorty levers.

There's only so much forum searching you can do, so I do have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help me out with. My technical knowledge is basic at best, so I apologise in advance if I ask anything a bit silly..!

- She does appear to have a 'knocking' exhaust valve, something I noticed when I picked her up. The guys at my local garage adjusted the cables which has improved things but the knock is still there when cold - Should I worry about this or just leave it be..?

- The front pads are low so will be replaced before the first outing, she's running standard discs so with that in mind is there a set of pads you'd recommend..?

- I'm going to service the front calipers and got a quote from my local Honda dealer for a set of seals that was double that of an after market set; are the OEM seals any better or should I save myself £50..?

- I will be replacing the fork oil and seals shortly, bearing in mind she's going to spend most of her time on the track is their a certain grade of oil I should go for..?

- I also plan to replace the head, shock, and swing arm bearings, so would like to hear folks' opinions on whether I should stick with OEM or go the after market route with any of these parts..?

- She's been down on the left hand side which I believe is the 929's more sensitive side; I can't see anything to worry about other than the obvious marks on the generator cover, but I should I inspect further..?

- Does anyone know where I can get a DB killer for stubby race exhaust that has no name..??!

Performance mods like PC3's and a full exhaust system will come when I know the bike's straight and sound, and just as importantly, is the right bike for me (I'll be surprised if that's not the case!)

I may have more questions after my first ride, which I'll report on hopefully in the not too distant future. I'm in the process of arranging insurance so my first ride will be on the road; I figured it would be best to at least road test her before hitting the track, just to make sure everything's good.

Any advice on things to look out for will be much appreciated, cheers guys
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0600.jpg‎  

Last edited by Merc; 04-15-2012 at 2:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 1:58 PM

Reputation Power: 176

Re: New Member Alert!! Just got me a 929...

I feel the most alive when I am close to death....

'01 Kawasaki ZR7-S (Naomi...Sold)
'07 Suzuki SV650 (Suzy...Sold)
'02 RC51 (Holly...RIP)
'02 CBR954RR (Elektra....Sold)
'11 ZX6R (Fiona...Sold)
'02 RC51 (Eleanor...My Baby)
post #3 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 4:05 PM
hfb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Hi, where are you abouts in England? Ive been to cadwell park and snetterton with a stubby exhaust with no problems so must of been less than 105db its a leo vince cut in half. Ive had no issue with standard fork set up and oil for track every one different though. Would go for taper roller bearing for the headstock. Standard swingarm bushes seem satifactory. The pattern seals should be fine for the calipers and its proberly the bush slightly worn thats causing the exhaust valve to rattle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 7:53 PM

Reputation Power: 11

if it's going to mostly track, and the exhaust valve is bothering you, you could just unhook the exhaust valve cables and manually position it open.

have you been on the track with the triple yet? the triple screams 'track' more than the fireblade does IMO.

i'm on a 954 and after my first time on the track, i honestly think i would have had more fun on a 600. the big bike is very nice on the street, it has no problem moving around at low rpm. on the other hand, i think a 600 is preferred to most on the track, particularily for newer riders. much more forgiving, much more confidence inspiring, much easier to turn and lay over in the corners... overall, much easier to ride fast.

have fun at the track! ride smart, ride safe, ride your own pace.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Welcome to the forum and nice 929!

Let's see a pic of this "stubby race exhaust"

2000 CBR929RR 03' 954 Engine, sold.....
2007 Yamaha R1- Project Rebuild
post #6 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 6:19 PM Thread Starter

hfb - I'm based in Surrey, I'm looking to ride Mallory, Silverstone, Rockingham and Donington this year. I'm yet to get out on the bike so won't know for sure until next week, but the early signs are saying she's loud!

es954rr - I took the Triumph on my first track day and she was superb, but I don't want to lob her and be without a bike.. I did consider a 600 but I stand at 6'1 and am leggy with it, coupled with the fact a decent 600 goes for more than a bigger bike these days, as well as my love for the Blade, it was an easy choice! I don't doubt there are better bikes out there, but when it comes to value for money the 929's a winner IMO.

e.glazebrook - I'll get a pic up of the pipe soon, probably at the weekend. If I can just source a DB killer I'll be happy!

Cheers guys
post #7 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 7:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98

post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 7:49 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
hfb - I'm based in Surrey, I'm looking to ride Mallory, Silverstone, Rockingham and Donington this year. I'm yet to get out on the bike so won't know for sure until next week, but the early signs are saying she's loud!

es954rr - I took the Triumph on my first track day and she was superb, but I don't want to lob her and be without a bike.. I did consider a 600 but I stand at 6'1 and am leggy with it, coupled with the fact a decent 600 goes for more than a bigger bike these days, as well as my love for the Blade, it was an easy choice! I don't doubt there are better bikes out there, but when it comes to value for money the 929's a winner IMO.

e.glazebrook - I'll get a pic up of the pipe soon, probably at the weekend. If I can just source a DB killer I'll be happy!

Cheers guys
i'm 6' but have never really ridden a 600. are they that much more compact?
by the sounds of it you're just out at the track to have fun on the bike, not to be the fastest guy out there so great pick up!

i was considering picking up a track only bike but kind of decided against it. i bought cheap spare bodywork for the track and of course frame and axle sliders, more for peace of mind than anything lol. i would hate to crash the 954, but i could live without riding street for a while. i don't like riding with many of the local guys, they ride way too fast and aggressive on the street for my liking and the police presence here is overwhelming and very unforgiving. i just enjoy running errands around town and going for nice little rides myself.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 8:40 PM

Reputation Power: 291

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 8:41 PM

welcome to the forum
post #11 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 5:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by es954rr View Post
i'm 6' but have never really ridden a 600. are they that much more compact?
by the sounds of it you're just out at the track to have fun on the bike, not to be the fastest guy out there so great pick up!

i was considering picking up a track only bike but kind of decided against it. i bought cheap spare bodywork for the track and of course frame and axle sliders, more for peace of mind than anything lol. i would hate to crash the 954, but i could live without riding street for a while. i don't like riding with many of the local guys, they ride way too fast and aggressive on the street for my liking and the police presence here is overwhelming and very unforgiving. i just enjoy running errands around town and going for nice little rides myself.

That's exactly it, it's all about the fun factor

If I decide to take track riding more seriously then I'd naturally look to upgrade, and truth be known I did consider a 954, but I knew that unless I got something that was already rough round the edges and not so desirable I'd be too scared to take out through sheer worry of crashing her!!

I also considered chopping in the triple and getting a RR-9, but decided against it for the same reasons as above.

I've just ordered a caliper seal kit, rear seat cowl for the OEM seat unit, and replacement bolt set off eBay, and will be picking up fork seals, front wheel bearings, and service kit from my local Honda dealer tomorrow in preperation for installation at the weekend

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page