fuel problems - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

fuel problems

I could really use your help here. I have 2000 929 that ran fine up until about a month ago. I started trying to just give her a good pick me up to get ready for the season. I changed the plugs and oil and decided to take the throttle bodies off and clean them out real good they were a lil gunked up so i did all of that, put it back together and the fuel pump wouldnt prime when you turn the key. I checked the things it says to in the manual as far as i can tell, BAS is good, starter relay good, fuel cut relay good, fuel pump works when hard wired, cant find any open loops on anything. I have noticed tho that the power to the fuel reserve connector is very weak barely enough to light the tester when the key is on. Thanks for all of your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-21-2012, 2:55 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: fuel problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDAmac View Post
I could really use your help here. I have 2000 929 that ran fine up until about a month ago. I started trying to just give her a good pick me up to get ready for the season. I changed the plugs and oil and decided to take the throttle bodies off and clean them out real good they were a lil gunked up so i did all of that, put it back together and the fuel pump wouldnt prime when you turn the key. I checked the things it says to in the manual as far as i can tell, BAS is good, starter relay good, fuel cut relay good, fuel pump works when hard wired, cant find any open loops on anything. I have noticed tho that the power to the fuel reserve connector is very weak barely enough to light the tester when the key is on. Thanks for all of your help!

When you say "gunked up" do you mean the dark coating on the edge of the throttle plates?
Is the battery fully charged?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 18 Old 04-21-2012, 9:47 AM Thread Starter

yeah i mean the black build up around the plates/butterflies, and yes the battery is fully charged. The battery is within specs according to the manual. The only code is the light that stays on which the manual says is Short circuit in service check connector wire or Faulty ECM, but the symptoms are that the engine would run normally. So i am at a stand still with it.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
yeah i mean the black build up around the plates/butterflies, and yes the battery is fully charged. The battery is within specs according to the manual. The only code is the light that stays on which the manual says is Short circuit in service check connector wire or Faulty ECM, but the symptoms are that the engine would run normally. So i am at a stand still with it.
Thanks again.

The throttle plates have a coating on them that can easily be mistaken for crud, that's why they have the warning in the manual about cleaning the throttle bodies carefully. I doubt removing the coating is likely to have any noticeable effect though.
Have you checked that the kill switch is functioning?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 18 Old 04-21-2012, 2:30 PM Thread Starter

yeah the kill switch is functioning properly also. I'm pretty sure it wasn't any kind of coating, but i guess ive been wrong before and i didnt take a wire brush to them or anything just q-tips and throttle body cleaner. im sure your right tho i dont think that would effect pump prime. i ordered another fuel pump just in case.
thanks
post #6 of 18 Old 04-21-2012, 3:57 PM Thread Starter

But I don't think that's it. So any help or suggestions are still welcomed. Im lost
Thanks
post #7 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 1:08 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
yeah the kill switch is functioning properly also. I'm pretty sure it wasn't any kind of coating, but i guess ive been wrong before and i didnt take a wire brush to them or anything just q-tips and throttle body cleaner. im sure your right tho i dont think that would effect pump prime. i ordered another fuel pump just in case.
thanks

If the pump and relay are working then I would be looking at the kill switches.

post #8 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

I checked it according to the manual, but i will just order another one and see if that works so i can be certain. I have also been trying to find another ecm and wiring harness to see if those might be the problem, but the only one i can find is a california model ecm and ive read that some people have tried them and they dont work so i dont want to buy it and still not eliminate that possibility. I really appreciate all your help.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 5:38 PM Thread Starter

also another reason i dont think it is the kill switch is because if i put gas or use starting fluid the bike fires right up, and will rev (until its out of fuel of course). Spent the day going though the wire harness and all seems to be good, no breaks or loose connections. Just really damn confused.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 7:28 PM

Reputation Power: 113

Have you checked the ground leads coming from the fuel pump? I've seen an issue a couple of times where the pump isn't being grounded properly, thus not working.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 8:41 PM Thread Starter

Im not sure what you mean exactly by the ground leads, but i did go out and try to figure it out. If you mean the wiring coming from the pump that make up the connection for the fuel reserve connector then yes i've checked those and if you mean something else then please let me know. thanks.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-22-2012, 8:42 PM

Yeah - the power cables

post #13 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 8:38 PM Thread Starter

alright guys got it figured out. I had bought some new relays from honda last week and tried them and still had the same problem. So tonight as im messing around with it i plug the old turn signal relay (out of the original subharness) into the fuel cut relay connector, hit the key and fired right up, was running rich as hell, but im sure that was because there is nothing else hooked up right now. The only thing on it is the fuel tank. With that said i'm feeling pretty retarded for going through all of this and it being something so simple. I now have lots of extra relays (that are probably toast since they didnt work), an extra front sub harness and fuel pump for the next time. Thanks for all of your help and sorry to waste your time, you have been great.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-24-2012, 1:11 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
alright guys got it figured out. I had bought some new relays from honda last week and tried them and still had the same problem. So tonight as im messing around with it i plug the old turn signal relay (out of the original subharness) into the fuel cut relay connector, hit the key and fired right up, was running rich as hell, but im sure that was because there is nothing else hooked up right now. The only thing on it is the fuel tank. With that said i'm feeling pretty retarded for going through all of this and it being something so simple. I now have lots of extra relays (that are probably toast since they didnt work), an extra front sub harness and fuel pump for the next time. Thanks for all of your help and sorry to waste your time, you have been great.

Great result :-)
If you haven't already I would suggest you confirm the fuel pressure regulator is not leaking. That makes the engine run very rich.

post #15 of 18 Old 04-24-2012, 10:31 AM

It's not a waste of time if the problem is fixed

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page