929 Questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 4:54 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-23-2012
Location: Northants Uk
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
929 Questions

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum so first hello to everyone.

I've just bought a 929 in the hope of turning it into a track bike, I got the bike quite cheap with full service history & 30k on the clock. I have a 2009 R1 don't really want to take it to the track so thought I would try something else.

I test rode the bike on Saturday and immediately got caught in a thunderstorm and was so surprised how planted the bike felt even in bad conditions, The engine felt strong but seemed like it was holding back a little, but that could just be me being used to the power of the r1.

Couple of questions even though the bike has full service history is there anything I should check that could be missed on a normal bog standard service / Parts that are normally worn at this age and mileage.

Also I would like to improve the bike for the road / track so any recommendations of parts I can buy, I was going to but these parts straight away = K&N panel filter, Power commander, braided lines and do a full service at home ( plugs, oil & filter , fuel filter) The bike is completely standard and had new disks last year so was going to uprate the pads any recommendations?

Cheers

Craig
Dobbsy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 7:30 AM
 
Join Date: 09-28-2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13
   
Re: 929 Questions

Congrats on the new to you bike dobbsy.
I've had my 929 for a few years and it's a fun bike to own. As for upgrades, there's a lot of mixed emotions and theories about changing to a k&n filter, there's some dyno sheets out there showing more power coming from the stock honda filter than a K&N.
Definitely a power commander, it'll help smooth out the bog on the bottom end. A full exhaust is a good idea, the aftermarket ones have straightened out the header quite a bit. The factory has quite a few bends to it.
Another mod, especially if your going to a track, is the GP style shift pattern. The cheapest and easiest way is to get a shifter from a VFR. It's a straight bolt on, and you get rid of all the linkage from the CBR.
I also put a quick turn throttle on mine. Of course I went the cheap route and bought a throttle tube for a '06 r6. Slides straight on, no messy modifying necessary and dramatically reduces how far you twist from idle to wide open.
Along with my power commander, I put on a dynojet quickshifter. Makes for easy effortless shifting and shifting at wide open throttle, makes you smile every time.
Lastly, I put on a set of throttle bodies from a cbr954. Their 2mm bigger and the injectors have 12 hole squirters instead of 4 hole from the 929. I haven't seen any huge improvement by making this latest change, but I drag race my bike and the weather hasn't been the best to get some good runs in, nor have I had any dyno tuning to get a proper map for the bike.


Good luck
medicbaldwin is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 9:05 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: 929 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbsy View Post
Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum so first hello to everyone.

I've just bought a 929 in the hope of turning it into a track bike, I got the bike quite cheap with full service history & 30k on the clock. I have a 2009 R1 don't really want to take it to the track so thought I would try something else.

I test rode the bike on Saturday and immediately got caught in a thunderstorm and was so surprised how planted the bike felt even in bad conditions, The engine felt strong but seemed like it was holding back a little, but that could just be me being used to the power of the r1.

Couple of questions even though the bike has full service history is there anything I should check that could be missed on a normal bog standard service / Parts that are normally worn at this age and mileage.

Also I would like to improve the bike for the road / track so any recommendations of parts I can buy, I was going to but these parts straight away = K&N panel filter, Power commander, braided lines and do a full service at home ( plugs, oil & filter , fuel filter) The bike is completely standard and had new disks last year so was going to uprate the pads any recommendations?

Cheers

Craig

The servo motor, fuel pressure regulator and charging system are the common failures.
Another common problem is damage to the crankcase behind the stator cover as falling over even when stationary can break the cases. Also, the mounting knobs on the headlight and instrument cluster commonly break off in crashes.
Stick with the OEM air filter.
Pads I'd go OEM or EBC HH but whatever is easiest to source will likely work just fine.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 9:39 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-23-2012
Location: Northants Uk
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 Questions

Thanks for your posts guys, Will stick with the stock filter but will give it a good check over tomorrow once ive picked it up. Ive checked the crank case and cluster as they where broken on my mates one and there fine. Will wait until I get the bike and have a look at the shifter as I can't remember the set-up

The bike seems to be well looked after and im surprised as my r1 has a few marks here and there but this has none apart from some stone chips its either been extremely well looked after or had some panels resprayed. But looking through the service history nothing has been left to chance.

The only thing I forgot to mention was the rear tyre is getting low, what tyres suit this model ? I quite like to run dunlops on my yamaha...
Dobbsy is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM
 
Join Date: 04-03-2012
Location: Chasing range rovers.
Posts: 3,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113
                     
Re: 929 Questions

Lose the flapper in the airbox. As for tyres, Pilot Power 2ct. LOVE them. Make sure to get the 190/55 for the back

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sky91 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-23-2012
Location: Northants Uk
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
Lose the flapper in the airbox. As for tyres, Pilot Power 2ct. LOVE them. Make sure to get the 190/55 for the back
Hi,

What does the flapper do ??? and if I remove it what happens ?

Cheers,
Dobbsy is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Join Date: 04-03-2012
Location: Chasing range rovers.
Posts: 3,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113
                     
Re: 929 Questions

There's a flapper in the airbox that is closed below 8000 rpm, mostly for noise and emissions. It effectively reduces the size of the airbox, and makes the bike run worse. It's EASY to remove - just a few screws. Leave the cable in the airbox (just let it flap - its fine), but remove all the plastic bits.

See this post for photos of what it should look like when it's done.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-do-right.html

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sky91 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-23-2012
Location: Northants Uk
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 Questions

Thanks for that, Mod list is growing !!! This bike is gonna be fun ! Im already looking at some bits on ebay levers etc, has anyone fitted these and do they make any difference ? : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR9...item35a50166b4
Dobbsy is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 12:57 PM
 
Join Date: 04-03-2012
Location: Chasing range rovers.
Posts: 3,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113
                     
Re: 929 Questions

General consensus is that lowering a bike RUINS the handling .... Good call on the levers though. CRG shorty for the brake (long for the clutch) ... assuming you only use two fingers to brake

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sky91 is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 1:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-23-2012
Location: Northants Uk
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 Questions

No worries saw them and wasn't sure. I have ASV levers both short on the Yam but will look up the CRG levers

Thanks Again
Dobbsy is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 3:17 PM
 
Join Date: 04-13-2012
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11
       
Re: 929 Questions

power commander, full exhaust , -1 front sprocket +2 rear sprocket and she will FLY
slothman is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 PM
 
Join Date: 09-28-2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13
   
Re: 929 Questions

I put a lowering link on my 929, but it's primary purpose is go as fast as possible in a straight line for 1320feet.. Although it looks cool.
medicbaldwin is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 04-24-2012, 1:13 AM
 
Join Date: 03-07-2012
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8
 
Re: 929 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
There's a flapper in the airbox that is closed below 8000 rpm, mostly for noise and emissions. It effectively reduces the size of the airbox, and makes the bike run worse. It's EASY to remove - just a few screws. Leave the cable in the airbox (just let it flap - its fine), but remove all the plastic bits.

See this post for photos of what it should look like when it's done.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-do-right.html
Hey that looks familiar

But yea, lift up the gas tank, open up the airbox underneath, remove the air filter and you'll see the flaps underneath. Once you remove those, replace the filter, close everything up, and youre done. Takes 15-20 minutes tops
ky0u is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 04-24-2012, 4:18 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-23-2012
Location: Northants Uk
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 Questions

Thanks for all your posts.

Will remove the flapper tonight and post a couple of pictures of it, Weather doesn't look too good at the moment but hopefully will clear up. wont bother with the lowering kit, I changed the front sprocket on my old 675 and made the bike pick up so much nicer think it would have lost a bit of top-end tho. Will start looking into get some sprockets now, whats the standard tooth and both front and rear just so I know not to buy a standard one.
Dobbsy is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 04-24-2012, 4:35 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: 929 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbsy View Post
Thanks for all your posts.

Will remove the flapper tonight and post a couple of pictures of it, Weather doesn't look too good at the moment but hopefully will clear up. wont bother with the lowering kit, I changed the front sprocket on my old 675 and made the bike pick up so much nicer think it would have lost a bit of top-end tho. Will start looking into get some sprockets now, whats the standard tooth and both front and rear just so I know not to buy a standard one.

929 stock is 16/42.
16/43 in the US.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ECM Questions? mrsexx1 Honda FireBlade 4 07-05-2011 11:18 PM
F2 Questions SoliceDreamer Honda CBR 600 5 06-23-2010 12:01 AM
questions Y2kBlade Off-Topic 2 03-01-2009 11:33 PM
New PC and DV (and lot's of questions) Fire929blade Off-Topic 5 12-03-2004 7:54 PM
Few questions about the '54 Bayou954 Honda FireBlade 20 06-03-2004 2:22 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome