Oil Pressure Relief Valve (CBR929) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-24-2012, 6:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Oil Pressure Relief Valve (CBR929)

I finally started riding my 929 again after a full rebuild. This weekend I put fresh oil after an easy break-in period and today I noticed that the oil level was well over the limit, even though I put only 4 quarts in it.

When I put it back together I did not install a new O-ring on the oil pressure relief valve as the manual suggests, and the valve was sort of just loosely held in there, hoping that the oil pan would hold it in place. Would this cause all the oil to drain into the pan after sitting for a few days?

When I first started it up after changing the oil, I had low pressure for a few seconds. I didn't even try today. I'm afraid of ruining all those bearings I worked so hard to replace!

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve (CBR929)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChabes View Post
I finally started riding my 929 again after a full rebuild. This weekend I put fresh oil after an easy break-in period and today I noticed that the oil level was well over the limit, even though I put only 4 quarts in it.

When I put it back together I did not install a new O-ring on the oil pressure relief valve as the manual suggests, and the valve was sort of just loosely held in there, hoping that the oil pan would hold it in place. Would this cause all the oil to drain into the pan after sitting for a few days?

When I first started it up after changing the oil, I had low pressure for a few seconds. I didn't even try today. I'm afraid of ruining all those bearings I worked so hard to replace!

Any help is appreciated.
If you mean (eng. lite stayed on for a second or 2).....low oil pressure,
it will happen when you change oil & filter.
I'd drain the oil,drop the pan & put a new seal in...I don't think it should be loose.The oil always drains to the pan. Oil level should be in-between the lines on the oil window.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChabes View Post

Any help is appreciated.

Did the oil smell of fuel?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-25-2012, 7:50 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Thanks 1ccwit, that makes sense since the filter is dry. I didn't think of that. But I'm still a bit worried about the relief valve. It wasn't loose in that it could move back and forth, but if I left it there without the pan it would drop out half way or more almost to the ground sometimes.

Bladeracer, the oil did not smell of fuel. I installed new rings so I hope that wouldn't cause a problem! What else might cause that?

I guess I will replace the O-ring for peace of mind, I was hoping I didn't have to since it's such a PITA to get to. Not to mention trying to find one of those silly little O-rings.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page