Help! Technical Question, abtech? anyone? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-23-2004, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Help! Technical Question, abtech? anyone?

Hi,

Since i'm stupid in electricals , i need opinions frm u guys technical masters abt a problem with my 954.

Facts :
1. My wiring is all stock. No PC, no mods at all with regards with electrical.
2. Engine also stock, no flapper mod or whatever stock. Exhaust stock.
3. On 1st Jan New Year 2004 been down once (1st time this bike) on the left side (low speed, hit a bike which entered a junction w/o a signal. Just left side cosmetics and scratched alternator cover.

Problem starts a month after that incident:

My FI (Fuel Injection) 20amp fuse has blown on me 6-7 times. And everytime when i changed the fuse, it wud be ok for 50-100 kms n then blown again. ONCE immediately after change fuse n then i switched on the ignition (b4 pushed starter button) i heard a click at the fuse box n when i push the starter button engine wont start n when i checked the newly put fuse blwon again but ONLY on this one occasion. On other occasion the fuse blown during rides.

Few times the fuse blown after i had just taking a knee-dragging angle corner and when the bike is upright the engine got cut off n i know the fuse blown again. So me n my friend thought the bank angle sensor must have had something to do with it, we checked, there's some corrotion (spelling?) so i told my friend to disconnect the bank angle sensor, thinking it was the problem.

But just now, during riding one of my favourite tight twisties, it happened again! TWICE! Luckily i bring EXTRA fuses, for deep inside me i got a feeling it "might" happen again.

*Note: The blown fuses i mentioned above is ONLY the FI fuse, indicated in the fusebox. When opened the fuse box, 2nd fuse from the opening cover. (not 2nd frm fusebox cover hinge)

So i'm at my friend workshop n we decide to TAKE IT ALL OFF n trace the problem one by one....BUT i remembered this site n i wonder if u guys have any OPINIONS on this. Maybe your advises can make us save time on this or something.

Thanks guys! This is the first electrical problem which made the engine stop for me. This 954 is my 3rd Honda, n i have no such problem with the previous 1990 CBR600F1 n 1997 CBR600F3. But then again, they're all using carburettors.

Thanks a lot guys for any replies!

TQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-23-2004, 1:49 AM

Re: Help! Technical Question, abtech? anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 515O
Hi,

Since i'm stupid in electricals , i need opinions frm u guys technical masters abt a problem with my 954.

Facts :
1. My wiring is all stock. No PC, no mods at all with regards with electrical.
2. Engine also stock, no flapper mod or whatever stock. Exhaust stock.
3. On 1st Jan New Year 2004 been down once (1st time this bike) on the left side (low speed, hit a bike which entered a junction w/o a signal. Just left side cosmetics and scratched alternator cover.

Problem starts a month after that incident:

My FI (Fuel Injection) 20amp fuse has blown on me 6-7 times. And everytime when i changed the fuse, it wud be ok for 50-100 kms n then blown again. ONCE immediately after change fuse n then i switched on the ignition (b4 pushed starter button) i heard a click at the fuse box n when i push the starter button engine wont start n when i checked the newly put fuse blwon again but ONLY on this one occasion. On other occasion the fuse blown during rides.

Few times the fuse blown after i had just taking a knee-dragging angle corner and when the bike is upright the engine got cut off n i know the fuse blown again. So me n my friend thought the bank angle sensor must have had something to do with it, we checked, there's some corrotion (spelling?) so i told my friend to disconnect the bank angle sensor, thinking it was the problem.

But just now, during riding one of my favourite tight twisties, it happened again! TWICE! Luckily i bring EXTRA fuses, for deep inside me i got a feeling it "might" happen again.

*Note: The blown fuses i mentioned above is ONLY the FI fuse, indicated in the fusebox. When opened the fuse box, 2nd fuse from the opening cover. (not 2nd frm fusebox cover hinge)

So i'm at my friend workshop n we decide to TAKE IT ALL OFF n trace the problem one by one....BUT i remembered this site n i wonder if u guys have any OPINIONS on this. Maybe your advises can make us save time on this or something.

Thanks guys! This is the first electrical problem which made the engine stop for me. This 954 is my 3rd Honda, n i have no such problem with the previous 1990 CBR600F1 n 1997 CBR600F3. But then again, they're all using carburettors.

Thanks a lot guys for any replies!

TQ.
I had a similar problem with a wire shorting to the frame---I wrapped the suspect wire in electrical tape---then put that auto wire tubing around it--now its fine. I would suspect that a wire is getting pinched by the tank at tilt. Might be a good place to start----good luck
post #3 of 6 Old 02-23-2004, 2:09 AM

Reputation Power: 24

sounds like a wire shorting for sure, you may have to strip it down and inspect the loom

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-23-2004, 4:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

I had a similar problem with the main 30A fuse blowing a couple of times once at 1000km when I hit the rev limiter, then again about 100km later again when I hit the rev limiter (and please no flames about hitting the rev limiter at this early point in the bikes life, I assure you it was run in with a firm but caring hand and was more than up to it by the 1000km mark) The problem hasnt reoccured since this time and Im still unsure as to what was the cause

2004 1000RR Racebike

www.jungleboyracing.com
post #5 of 6 Old 02-23-2004, 6:32 AM Thread Starter

Ok, i'll check it out.

THANKS THANKS A LOT GUYS....

TQ.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-23-2004, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 515O
Ok, i'll check it out.

THANKS THANKS A LOT GUYS....

TQ.
I think the pinched cable is a very good place to start. It can even be the service reset cable (the open 2 pin cable you short out to get the FI codes that is right in the area).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page