Honda CB919F compression issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Naked Sportbikes Discussion of the Honda 599, Honda 919, and Honda CB1300 Motorcycles.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By IanIronbane

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-13-2019, 6:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Honda CB919F compression issues

Hello,

I'm new to the Honda919 motor as well as to this forum, I got one to get it as my commuter, while doing the slow but steady process of fixing and tuning it up to a respectable and usable state the motor lost power from 100% working to half dead, like really fast in a matter of 2 days, low RPMs under 5000 are completely powerless, on higher RPMs however the machine is normal, I took it to the mechanic who took the cylinder header and saw some valves were stuck, he took them out and is ATM fixing it, but he says that it might be the cylinders that cause the issue (will take them apart on Monday if he doesn't sidetrack with other bikes), since before taking out the motor the bike threw smoke, he says the engine is dead and that you can't rectify a 919 cylinder, previous to this the bike had fixed: gas pump, injectors and throttle head, I want to know from you seasoned veterans what your verdict is, if its true that the cylinders are damaged the bike is dead? can it be rectified or not? might be another thing? I search some light at the end of the tunnel as I love the 919 hornet and I really wanted to have one, I mean am I the only one that loves the dual under-tail exhausts?
If everything goes well, I will post pics of the resuscitated Hornet, I plan to paint it a Repsol blue base with center stripes in the common orange and red outlined in white, I already got a pair of Sato's installed and some trusty batlax tires

Thanks for your time, have a good day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-13-2019, 10:03 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Honda CB919F compression issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIronbane View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the Honda919 motor as well as to this forum, I got one to get it as my commuter, while doing the slow but steady process of fixing and tuning it up to a respectable and usable state the motor lost power from 100% working to half dead, like really fast in a matter of 2 days, low RPMs under 5000 are completely powerless, on higher RPMs however the machine is normal, I took it to the mechanic who took the cylinder header and saw some valves were stuck, he took them out and is ATM fixing it, but he says that it might be the cylinders that cause the issue (will take them apart on Monday if he doesn't sidetrack with other bikes), since before taking out the motor the bike threw smoke, he says the engine is dead and that you can't rectify a 919 cylinder, previous to this the bike had fixed: gas pump, injectors and throttle head, I want to know from you seasoned veterans what your verdict is, if its true that the cylinders are damaged the bike is dead? can it be rectified or not? might be another thing? I search some light at the end of the tunnel as I love the 919 hornet and I really wanted to have one, I mean am I the only one that loves the dual under-tail exhausts?
If everything goes well, I will post pics of the resuscitated Hornet, I plan to paint it a Repsol blue base with center stripes in the common orange and red outlined in white, I already got a pair of Sato's installed and some trusty batlax tires

Thanks for your time, have a good day
The cylinders are reparable, but its not as easy as a simple bore and hone. The cylinders are impregnated with a special aluminum silicone coating, but can probably be safely over-bored up to 2mm. There are companies in the US that do it. Where are you located?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 4 Old 07-14-2019, 2:48 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb

Sometimes it's best just to seek a wreck with a good motor and transplant it. (I agree this is easier said than done)

2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R / 2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-15-2019, 1:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
The cylinders are reparable, but its not as easy as a simple bore and hone. The cylinders are impregnated with a special aluminum silicone coating, but can probably be safely over-bored up to 2mm. There are companies in the US that do it. Where are you located?
Thank to you both for the answers, I'm actually located in Mexico so sadly no chance for me to go to a specialized place for the process, I know the Owner of the place I get my bike to does really nice cylinder restoration jobs but he's in Spain at the moment, and the dude that was left in charge is not that experienced in my opinion (he already messed up the carbs in my old man's Yamaha Virago) I might have found a crank case that I can buy and swap if needed, in any case I'll search for a specialized place in my area, I still have my hope's up might as well change it for a 919 Fireblade to give it more power
IanDoohan likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Naked Sportbikes

Tags
compression , cylinders , hornet , hornet 919 900 cb fighter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page