Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Honda CB919F compression issues

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  IanIronbane 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the Honda919 motor as well as to this forum, I got one to get it as my commuter, while doing the slow but steady process of fixing and tuning it up to a respectable and usable state the motor lost power from 100% working to half dead, like really fast in a matter of 2 days, low RPMs under 5000 are completely powerless, on higher RPMs however the machine is normal, I took it to the mechanic who took the cylinder header and saw some valves were stuck, he took them out and is ATM fixing it, but he says that it might be the cylinders that cause the issue (will take them apart on Monday if he doesn't sidetrack with other bikes), since before taking out the motor the bike threw smoke, he says the engine is dead and that you can't rectify a 919 cylinder, previous to this the bike had fixed: gas pump, injectors and throttle head, I want to know from you seasoned veterans what your verdict is, if its true that the cylinders are damaged the bike is dead? can it be rectified or not? might be another thing? I search some light at the end of the tunnel as I love the 919 hornet and I really wanted to have one, I mean am I the only one that loves the dual under-tail exhausts?
If everything goes well, I will post pics of the resuscitated Hornet, I plan to paint it a Repsol blue base with center stripes in the common orange and red outlined in white, I already got a pair of Sato's installed and some trusty batlax tires

Thanks for your time, have a good day

See less See more
#2 ·
The cylinders are reparable, but its not as easy as a simple bore and hone. The cylinders are impregnated with a special aluminum silicone coating, but can probably be safely over-bored up to 2mm. There are companies in the US that do it. Where are you located?

#4 ·
Thank to you both for the answers, I'm actually located in Mexico so sadly no chance for me to go to a specialized place for the process, I know the Owner of the place I get my bike to does really nice cylinder restoration jobs but he's in Spain at the moment, and the dude that was left in charge is not that experienced in my opinion (he already messed up the carbs in my old man's Yamaha Virago) I might have found a crank case that I can buy and swap if needed, in any case I'll search for a specialized place in my area, I still have my hope's up might as well change it for a 919 Fireblade to give it more power :devil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.