Runaway CRF50 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Off-Road Discussion of Honda Off-Road Vehicles, including Honda Dirt Bikes, Honda ATVs, Honda 4-Wheelers, and Honda Watercraft.

User Tag List

13Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaybird180
  • 3 Post By MrPickwick
  • 2 Post By IanDoohan
  • 1 Post By MrPickwick
  • 2 Post By Jaybird180
  • 2 Post By jondog9
  • 2 Post By Jaybird180

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-03-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Runaway CRF50

I bought a CRF50 (4-stroke) to transition my 4-yo son from the (2-stroke) PW50 that he'd been previously on. It threw him off twice skidding in turns and he's since been tentative but willing to ride it. I'm thankful for that. But I made a parental decision and glad I made it.

I negotiated $50 off for the throttle not snapping back. A $12 Amazon part that didn't fit, 2 weeks at the shop, a new rear inner tube, the shop owner's throttle cable and $150 from my pocket the bike came back home last night. A long way to get to this point, but we're here.

We woke at 6a to get out before the day got too hot and he had his first ride. He rode for about a good 45 mins and went home with a WIN in his pocket. I was able to progressively turn the throttle screw out to give him more range and he was gratified and his confidence continued.

Unfortunately, the condition that I wanted to prevent still occurred. I asked him to stop in front of me (yes, I ask for certain level of precision with putting the bike in specific spots) he couldn't do it. I noticed the bike continued to walk unless he was on the rear brake. I checked the throttle it was still snapping back and even my forcing it forward didn't cure the condition. It seems to be tied to a well-warmed engine, which is FINE when we're running drills but overall is bad.

The bike seems to idle very low, as it should so I don't think that's the problem.

I have a tentative appointment to take it to another shop later today and would love to save the trip, but I'll go if necessary.

What do you guys think?
MrPickwick likes this.

-My 06 Fireblade Build Thread
-Her 02 CBR600F4i Custom Suspension
-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's
-92 CB750 She lets me ride it, Jetted
-13 CRF110F, 01XR50 Daughter's

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
Re: Runaway CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
I bought a CRF50 (4-stroke) to transition my 4-yo son from the (2-stroke) PW50 that he'd been previously on. It threw him off twice skidding in turns and he's since been tentative but willing to ride it. I'm thankful for that. But I made a parental decision and glad I made it.

I negotiated $50 off for the throttle not snapping back. A $12 Amazon part that didn't fit, 2 weeks at the shop, a new rear inner tube, the shop owner's throttle cable and $150 from my pocket the bike came back home last night. A long way to get to this point, but we're here.

We woke at 6a to get out before the day got too hot and he had his first ride. He rode for about a good 45 mins and went home with a WIN in his pocket. I was able to progressively turn the throttle screw out to give him more range and he was gratified and his confidence continued.

Unfortunately, the condition that I wanted to prevent still occurred. I asked him to stop in front of me (yes, I ask for certain level of precision with putting the bike in specific spots) he couldn't do it. I noticed the bike continued to walk unless he was on the rear brake. I checked the throttle it was still snapping back and even my forcing it forward didn't cure the condition. It seems to be tied to a well-warmed engine, which is FINE when we're running drills but overall is bad.

The bike seems to idle very low, as it should so I don't think that's the problem.

I have a tentative appointment to take it to another shop later today and would love to save the trip, but I'll go if necessary.

What do you guys think?
Hi Jay , could be clutch adjustment or wrong engine oil (viscosity)
jondog9, IanDoohan and Jaybird180 like this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-03-2017, 3:09 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage

The clutch is centrifugal, and as we know is usually engaged by increased rpm. If the idle is too high it engages too early, if too low, it takes more rpm to engage it. I'm pretty sure there is an adjustment for free play in the set up.

That's all based on your post, if I'm reading it correctly, that it creeps, with no throttle input.

It might need to be taken apart and checked out.
MrPickwick and Jaybird180 like this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-03-2017, 4:21 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage

Hi Jay, just a little info from the manual, don't know if you've already tried this
Attached Thumbnails
clutch.PNG‎  
IanDoohan likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-03-2017, 4:35 PM Thread Starter

Ya know, the thought had occurred to me that I'd better get familiar with the manual. My first read was this morning as I scrambled through it to find out how to start it and operate the shifter mechanism. smh.
IanDoohan and MrPickwick like this.

-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's

post #6 of 8 Old 08-04-2017, 1:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Service Manual - my bible and savior! And of course, this forum.
IanDoohan and MrPickwick like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 9:57 AM Thread Starter

Well, I've taken the bike to a mechanic that's trusted and he found a tight valve. He said that as the bike heats up the valve gets tighter making the problem worse/ more apparent.

But one of the main issues is that the crankcase oil was overfilled and a carb needle needed replacement. It's much better now. He said I MIGHT have to adjust the idle screw. I haven't done that yet.

My son rode it the other day and it got up to full temperature and we were able to put it on the sidestand and it barely moved while running.
unslow1 and IanDoohan like this.

-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's

post #8 of 8 Old 09-28-2017, 9:32 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
Well, I've taken the bike to a mechanic that's trusted and he found a tight valve. He said that as the bike heats up the valve gets tighter making the problem worse/ more apparent.

But one of the main issues is that the crankcase oil was overfilled and a carb needle needed replacement. It's much better now. He said I MIGHT have to adjust the idle screw. I haven't done that yet.

My son rode it the other day and it got up to full temperature and we were able to put it on the sidestand and it barely moved while running.
Well now, that's some interesting information. Glad it's sorted out!

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Off-Road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page