Chain Install results - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda RC51 Discussion of the Honda RC51, Honda SP1, and Honda SP2 Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-05-2005, 8:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Chain Install results

Just installed my new 520 conversion yesterday. Used a DID520XVM-gold chain, with a Sun 15 front sprocket and a Vortex 41 rear gear. interestingly enough, i weighed the stock 530 chain and the new 520 chain before installing. the stock chain was 2110 grams and the new 520 chain was 1720 grams. a weight savings of almost 400 grams, or .88 lbs. i didn't weight the sprockets, cause by the time i thought about it, they were already on. they may be slightly lighter due to material reduction. so basically, the swap saves you a pound of rotating mass in the driveline.
i used an RK-EXCEL chain cutter/riveter, pt# UCT4060. sweeet tool for the money. easy to use and by following the instruction in the Honda manual, (tool and chain instructions were too vague) installing the link plate and spreading the rivet was a piece of cake.

i used a caliper to measure the rivet spread, according to the Honda manual, of 5.50-5.80mm for a DID chain, and similar for an RK chain. there's a noticable difference in the thickness of the chain, hence the weight difference. i'm gonna take it out today, as long as it gets to or slightly above 35 degrees. (you CA guys suck...... )

i had a 15/42-530 on the rear before this and will post if any noticible differences are noted with the 15/41-520 change.

"Wake me when the winter's over......"

Last edited by Rigor; 03-05-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-05-2005, 9:16 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Chain Install results

Be careful, it's 20 degrees right now and the streets look like ass.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-05-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMI6989
Be careful, it's 20 degrees right now and the streets look like ass.
yep.......thanks, mang!! just gonna pop out onto 248 and make a pass up to the Palmerton exit and back.

i gots to mang........i gots too..................

45 tomorrow.........................

( i figure if i make it out of my cinder covered development, i'm golden.)

Last edited by Rigor; 03-05-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-05-2005, 3:09 PM

U know getting off @ that Palmerton exit usually costs you alot of money. Going riding 50s w/ them in an hr so I'll see what you bought.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-09-2005, 3:48 PM Thread Starter

just a quick word to anyone following this dribble..............

love the gearing change! first, i went from stock 16/40 to 16/42 and thought that was great. got rid of that sluggish-pull-out feeling. actually got to use 6th gear as well, without feeling like i was dogging it all the time.

then, i changed to a 15/42. (still 530) i ended up lifting the front wheel a little more than i liked, but it was a fun ride. got to use 6th a lot then.

this final change, was 15/41-520. my understanding is that this is the optimum gearing (15/41, 530-520 not an issue) for the bike, for general use. i have to agree. great power, no sluggish starts and the front isn't so quick to come up on hard accellerations, or hard pulls near redline.

the 520 conversion is noticably narrower than the 530, and looks tiny compaired to the massive 530 links. but as i stated before, almost 1 full pound in rotating mass lost by making the swap.

sorry J, didn't stop at R&D. was there a few days earlier and ordered more goodies. gotta pick em up today or thursday!!

post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2005, 9:37 PM

sounds sweet man... today was my first ride with my new power commander and jardine exhaust... holy god damn do those high mounts ever sound good

next step is definately a 15/41 chain conversion

oh and what difference do you think the lighter chain makes? as for feel, how would you describe it?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-10-2005, 7:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofarex
sounds sweet man... today was my first ride with my new power commander and jardine exhaust... holy god damn do those high mounts ever sound good

next step is definately a 15/41 chain conversion

oh and what difference do you think the lighter chain makes? as for feel, how would you describe it?

honestly....i can't tell the difference. normally my ass-dyno works well, but in this case, i went from stock to 15/42, then back to 15/41. had i planned my testing and increased my changes in order, i might be able to give you a better answer.. i don't know that you could "feel" a lighter chain, (lost rotating mass) but it adds to the big picture and the overall performance. at least in my warped mind........

the stock gearing, IMHO, smothers the RC. by changing to 15/41, it lets the bike start out easier, accellerate quicker and makes it seem more spirited and performance minded. not that it was bad with the stock 16/40 gears, but this really wakes it up. even if you use your stock 530 chain and just change the gears to 15/41, you'll be pleased with the results. i'd gar-un-tee it, mang.

i'd love to have aftermarket exhaust. i heard JAMI6989's exhaust one day, (Sato Banzia's i think) and it sounded so cooool. the RC51 almost sounds like a V-8 engine with aftermarket exhaust, or at least like no other bike i've ever heard. However, the cost deters me right now and i live in a development where not only can your neighbor hear you fart, but you can hear them say, "Je-zusss" after the smell hits them........

Last edited by Rigor; 03-10-2005 at 7:18 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-10-2005, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigor
i live in a development where not only can your neighbor hear you fart, but you can hear them say, "Je-zusss" after the smell hits them........
None of the drag-pipe HD crowd gives a ****, why should we?
post #9 of 10 Old 03-11-2005, 9:08 PM

thank you for sharing your experience... i ordered some 15/41 sprockets and a new 520 chain from Dan Kyle last night

can't wait
post #10 of 10 Old 08-11-2009, 8:22 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to zerogara Send a message via Skype™ to zerogara

Anyone knows or has noticed hw many links will a new chain be with 15/41?
Can the same chain from 16/41 be used on 15/41? I'd like to be able to switch back and forth the counter sprocket for touring.
How is gas mileage affected by going to 15/41? Is it up or down given the riding style hasn't changed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda RC51

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page